Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

Building a list profile based on blokes who probably won’t be there next year ( Dow & Biggie) let alone 26 while including role players in savage decline ( KMac & Pickett) doesn’t show much.
I didn't say they'd all be there, I was just pointing out the demographics of the list. I made no value judgement. We'd need some to come good, one or two to jump out of the pack, and good drafting and trading. Hence, 'if we get it right', including development.

Some will go, of course. You're suggesting at least 13 of the under 26s will go in the next three off-seasons. Combine that with old blokes departing (Cotch, Jack, Grimes, Tarrant, probably Prestia, Nank, Kmac, Broad, Pickett) and you're forecasting a minimum of seven changes per year for the next three years. That's a significant overhaul. Twenty or more new players in three years - half a dozen would have to be mature age, and you'd still have a young list.

But 'if we get it right', it'll be a good list, with a senior core of Short, Soldo, Hopper, DRioli, Taranto, Bolton, Graham, Baker, Balta, Ross, Ryan, plus the additions I said Blair would bring in to bolster that group, hopefully flourishing Superhunks, and at least two first round draftees and maybe three or four more in the second round.

If we get it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
We can contend again in a few years if we get it right.

Let's look at the ages our list will turn in 2026:

35 - Dusty
34 - Lynch, Prestia (both a month after the grand final), Pickett
33 - Broad
32 - Vlastuin, KMac, Nank
30 - Short, Soldo
29 - Hopper, DRioli
28 - Taranto, Bolton (in December), Baker, Graham, Young
27 - Balta (October), Miller
26 - Ross, Samson, Mansell
25 - Bradtke, Coulthard, Cumberland, Dow, Ralphsmith, Nyuon
24 - MoJu, Bauer, Trezise
23 - Gibcus, Brown, Banks, Sonz, Clarke
22 - Smith, Green, Campbell

Blair is a master of list demography. Over the next couple of years he'll add some blokes turning 24-27 in 2026. Maybe one or two turning 28-29.

Not all the old blokes will be there. But we'll find some young ones.

That's an interesting exercise. My hunch is Lynch, Prestia, Pickett, McIntosh, Nankervis, Miller, Mansell, Dow and Ralphsmith won't survive past then for one reason or another. Dustin maybe just because of how good he is, Broad and Vlastuin either way depending on how their bodies hold up.

Be interesting to see that in a team.

Reactions: 1 user

35 - Dusty
33 - Broad
30 - Short, Soldo
29 - Hopper, DRioli

Blair is a master of list demography. Over the next couple of years he'll add some blokes turning 24-27 in 2026. Maybe one or two turning 28-29.

Your point is well made. The point is not that all these players will make it, nobody is saying that and everyone knows the reality, the point is the list demographics are solid.

Your point is well made. The point is not that all these players will make it, nobody is saying that and everyone knows the reality, the point is the list demographics are solid.
You have to have the right mix of ages but it matters not if they're no good, which was Scoop's point. Look at Essendon: demographically in the sweet spot but not contending, because they're no good.

Let us not be Essendon is a good watchphrase.

Reactions: 3 users
We haven't had early draft picks except for 2021 but I think our talent drafted from 2018 - 2022 would be amongst the worst in the league. I think we are in for a rough three or four years.
drag race no GIF by Robert E Blackmon
Got ahead of ourselves and thought we could waste picks.….ummm no.

35 - Dusty
33 - Broad
30 - Short, Soldo
29 - Hopper, DRioli

For the last a couple of years ive pegged our next charge starting 2025.
Bolton peak

We can get it right

I just spotted Matt Clarke boarding a flight to Adelaide. Heading off to spot our next half back flanker.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I just spotted Matt Clarke boarding a flight to Adelaide. Heading off to spot our next half back flanker.
Have we shifted Gibcus to the HBF? Maybe Sonsie and Clarke will also get shifted there as well. Green could play there instead of forward I suppose along with Samson Ryan and Cumberland.
We have played Banks there even though he is a winger of course.
For all the HBFs we have drafted we don’t seem to be playing many of them there.

Reactions: 1 users
Have we shifted Gibcus to the HBF? Maybe Sonsie and Clarke will also get shifted there as well. Green could play there instead of forward I suppose along with Samson Ryan and Cumberland.
We have played Banks there even though he is a winger of course.
For all the HBFs we have drafted we don’t seem to be playing many of them there.
There's no room on the back flank for all our HBFers
For some crazy reason we've got 2 small forwards and a midfielder there instead of back flankers!

There's no room on the back flank for all our HBFers
For some crazy reason we've got 2 small forwards and a midfielder there instead of back flankers!
Which one of the players I mentioned is a HBF ?

We have drafted a number of small and midsize players but not many HBF. It’s a myth