Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

Riewoldt said it was the case last night.
I think Reiwoldt just misdirected for 5 mins. Why would he say yes I'm retiring in 3 weeks to Robbo?
It's a Press Conference with Trent before Nth Melb, at Punt Rd.

Reactions: 2 users
I would hate to blow a chance because with got rid of guys we shouldn't have.
Totally understand this point of view but I'm no longer a believer in the list as it stands right now.

We're in for a rough year or two.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it is going to be a long long off season :LOL:
Car Driving GIF by TLC Europe
Next couple of years might be bumpy

• Haha
The year Gawn was 28 they won 5 games. The same year was May's 1st.
Prestia joined a team that was rubbish at the same age as the guys you are saying we should boot.

Sounds like the Pies got lucky, being forced to keep some quality oldies.

My take is in 2022 we blew a bunch of unloseable games, but still finished 7th, with a % of 121. We were robbed in the final, even then we managed to finish the job with another stuff up to lose. We werent far away.
This year, again we have blown games we shouldnt have, and have battled without the best key forward in the game.
Now, maybe he wont come back to his original form, or come back at all. But maybe he will. And if he does we may not be far away again.

We need to keep bringing in young guys, and I wouldnt be against trading one or 2 of our older guys if the right offer is made, but we shouldnt be clearing the list to reset for 5 years down the track.
We should all remember that it’s easier to write people off than back them through all the ups and downs of development.

Totally understand this point of view but I'm no longer a believer in the list as it stands right now.

We're in for a rough year or two.
Thats understandable, but i reckon some would have said that in 2016, early 2017, after 2018, mid 2019, and early 2020.
Others would have been calling for changes at the Dogs pre-2016, at the Dees 2020, and at the Pies pre 2021 (tho they havent won anything yet.) And every other year except this year at Geelong for the last 10.

Teams rise when not expected all regularly, but clubs who dont keep good players dont give themselves that chance.

Im not saying we will win, or that we shouldnt make changes to the list, but I dont reckon we are in a position where we should be trying to get rid of everyone over 26 and writing off the next few years.

Reactions: 1 user
The year Gawn was 28 they won 5 games. The same year was May's 1st.
Prestia joined a team that was rubbish at the same age as the guys you are saying we should boot.

Sounds like the Pies got lucky, being forced to keep some quality oldies.

My take is in 2022 we blew a bunch of unloseable games, but still finished 7th, with a % of 121. We were robbed in the final, even then we managed to finish the job with another stuff up to lose. We werent far away.
This year, again we have blown games we shouldnt have, and have battled without the best key forward in the game.
Now, maybe he wont come back to his original form, or come back at all. But maybe he will. And if he does we may not be far away again.

We need to keep bringing in young guys, and I wouldnt be against trading one or 2 of our older guys if the right offer is made, but we shouldnt be clearing the list to reset for 5 years down the track.
Thats understandable, but i reckon some would have said that in 2016, early 2017, after 2018, mid 2019, and early 2020.
Others would have been calling for changes at the Dogs pre-2016, at the Dees 2020, and at the Pies pre 2021 (tho they havent won anything yet.) And every other year except this year at Geelong for the last 10.

Teams rise when not expected all regularly, but clubs who dont keep good players dont give themselves that chance.

Im not saying we will win, or that we shouldnt make changes to the list, but I dont reckon we are in a position where we should be trying to get rid of everyone over 26 and writing off the next few years.

The teams you are talking about weren't on the decline though, they were building and had a poor season or were still around the mark and topped up. We were in that place for the last two years but that time has passed now.

We are on a three year pattern of decline into a mid table side. It's percentages, we could take your approach and back the talent we have on our list, supplement it with some more and we might well get a boost.

The risk of that is you end up like Hawthorn and spend years chasing that boost and then eventually have to concede and rebuild from a much worse position and take longer to do it.

Reactions: 3 users
We can contend again in a few years if we get it right.

Let's look at the ages our list will turn in 2026:

35 - Dusty
34 - Lynch, Prestia (both a month after the grand final), Pickett
33 - Broad
32 - Vlastuin, KMac, Nank
30 - Short, Soldo
29 - Hopper, DRioli
28 - Taranto, Bolton (in December), Baker, Graham, Young
27 - Balta (October), Miller
26 - Ross, Samson, Mansell
25 - Bradtke, Coulthard, Cumberland, Dow, Ralphsmith, Nyuon
24 - MoJu, Bauer, Trezise
23 - Gibcus, Brown, Banks, Sonz, Clarke
22 - Smith, Green, Campbell

Blair is a master of list demography. Over the next couple of years he'll add some blokes turning 24-27 in 2026. Maybe one or two turning 28-29.

Not all the old blokes will be there. But we'll find some young ones.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

35 - Dusty
33 - Broad
30 - Short, Soldo
29 - Hopper, DRioli

Blair is a master of list demography. Over the next couple of years he'll add some blokes turning 24-27 in 2026. Maybe one or two turning 28-29.

Problem I have with that is the top looks like it will thin out a lot and the bottom is barely tested with not much in the middle

35 - Dusty
33 - Broad
30 - Short, Soldo
29 - Hopper, DRioli

Of the 20 names listed under 26, be lucky if 7 are on the list come 2026. Pointless.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
We haven't had early draft picks except for 2021 but I think our talent drafted from 2018 - 2022 would be amongst the worst in the league. I think we are in for a rough three or four years.

Same holds true with the off field teams. It’s real easy to espouse cleaning house but what’s abundantly clear is unsettled teams don’t make finals or win cups.

Who shat in your corn flakes?

I reckon at least 10 will be.
Building a list profile based on blokes who probably won’t be there next year ( Dow & Biggie) let alone 26 while including role players in savage decline ( KMac & Pickett) doesn’t show much.

I think we need to do exactly what Hawthorn have done. Clean house over the next 2 to 3 years and recruit for year 5 to 7 2028 - 2030
Won't happen sooner.

• Love
We haven't had early draft picks except for 2021 but I think our talent drafted from 2018 - 2022 would be amongst the worst in the league. I think we are in for a rough three or four years.
Yep. Drafting in recent years has been garbage. A number of selections have been mind boggling

• Dislike