Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

Get creative put some big names on the table and get some picks.
Like the plan but weve got no one really that we can put on the table now with any real currency.

Too many over 28's now.

Only blokes worth anything that we could let go are probably Short, Soldo Graham, Cumberland and Ross.

But I would think Ross has shored up his spot the past month with good consistent footy.

Reactions: 1 user
Like the plan but weve got no one really that we can put on the table now with any real currency.

Too many over 28's now.

Only blokes worth anything that we could let go are probably Short, Soldo Graham, Cumberland and Ross.

But I would think Ross has shored up his spot the past month with good consistent footy.
Understand you mate , but we have some currency Vlastuin and Short and Graham.

Understand you mate , but we have some currency Vlastuin and Short and Graham.
Dusty is the key. Can get us 1st rounder if wants to go with Dimma. Reckon who is announced coach could sway him. Mini he stays, anybody else might go.

Dusty is the key. Can get us 1st rounder if wants to go with Dimma. Reckon who is announced coach could sway him. Mini he stays, anybody else might go.
Then trade Graham and possibly Soldo for 2nd rounders and bang we have 1st and 2 seconds

Suns want to keep their picks for academy kids.

Dusty also has a big salary next year any other team would need to fit in.

And Dusty will be a free agent next year, so he wouldn't cost the Suns or anyone else a pick if they wait.

Suns want to keep their picks for academy kids.

Dusty also has a big salary next year any other team would need to fit in.

And Dusty will be a free agent next year, so he wouldn't cost the Suns or anyone else a pick if they wait.
You’re forgetting we are talking about the Suns, not a proper team. Dimma and Dusty would be a dream result for the AFL. Could easy see them making finals next year and interest going through the roof

Kent Kingsley was another good 'un.
Watched him playing a game at Coburg way back when. A very young Jaaack at full forward with K nt alongside in the forward pocket, the experienced senior bloke mentoring the gun youngster. Reckon the prick sea gulled three goals from Jaaack's crumbs and they were about the only touches he got all game.
Gawd we used to hoover up some left over rubbish from the other clubs in those days.

Reactions: 3 users
Funnily enough, a lot of the pre-draft commentary from neutral sites described him the same way. In the sense that he was a tall, big bodied midfielder.
I think you're taking liberties with what was being implied. But then I see who wrote the post......you seem to have an axe to grind with everything RFC.

Troll, or bitter ex-employee?
Axe to grind , lol
Reality check
Don’t live in past as past is past
Live in real time
Last 3 years has been average . FACT !
Limped into last years finals
Recruiting has been average
Tell me about the next two years drafts and what first round picks we have
I await your reply internet expert
This would be good !!

Who could we trade to West Coast (assuming they finish last) that would land us the number one pick?

I reckon we have two: Balta and Bolton

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I certainly wouldn’t trade our stars like Bolton or Balta.

If we can get anything for Graham, Soldo or Ralphsmith - then do it.

If Dustin wants to finish his career with us, negotiate an extension to his 2024 deal - either 1-2 years. Otherwise trade to wherever he wants to go.

Cotchin to retire but I’d keep Jack for one last year (assuming he wants to go on). Reality is we have no young key forwards outside of Bauer who’s speculative at best. Who knows if Lynch will fully recover & Gibcus will be needed down back given Grimes deterioration.

The rest of the rebuild has to come from draft (albeit compromised with no Rd 1 pick this year), rookie draft & free agency. Recruiting & list management are under extreme pressure & rightly so.

The Suns had to do a salary dump last year, so doubt they could afford Dusty. A deal involving Ben King might get a trade done if Dusty is keen to move to the sunshine state. King would certainly fill a need for us.

Axe to grind , lol
Reality check
Don’t live in past as past is past
Live in real time
Last 3 years has been average . FACT !
Limped into last years finals
Recruiting has been average
Tell me about the next two years drafts and what first round picks we have
I await your reply internet expert
This would be good !!
I agree with all but your statements on the draft. The experts on here were calling for Francis Jackson's head with his drafting.
Then we win three premierships and he was brilliant. Gotta love PRE.
The drafting is a watch and see. It's too early to say what the last two years are like.
Also got to consider that we were "topping up", so haven't given the recruiters much to work with.

The players we in the last 2 years might all turn out to be 200 game players, some All Australians. We don't know.

But I'm not going to whinge about RCD or Dow - when the depth and quality in those drafts was crap. There's a couple of jack pots after
those picks, but you'd count them on 2 hands. I also know we wouldn't have picked a good player if we didn't think they'd fit the chaos ball
approach Dimma had. Chaos ball didn't have a priority on pin point kicks (unfortunately). Now we get to reap the "rewards" of that era, while
a knew coach undoes that style.

Reactions: 2 users
The Suns had to do a salary dump last year, so doubt they could afford Dusty. A deal involving Ben King might get a trade done if Dusty is keen to move to the sunshine state. King would certainly fill a need for us.
The Suns problem this year is they need points to pay for the academy kids. All of them are rated potential top 10 picks. That’s a lot of points.

We can help them by doing pick swaps. Say two second rounders and a third rounder for their first rounder. They get the points they need and we get back into the first round. Other clubs will be trying to do similar deals though.

Ben King will not be involved in this and will not be traded willingly by the GCS.

We either put up some names and fast track recruiting or we don't. Simple as that. Could save us years in rebuild time down the line.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with all but your statements on the draft. The experts on here were calling for Francis Jackson's head with his drafting.
Then we win three premierships and he was brilliant. Gotta love PRE.
The drafting is a watch and see. It's too early to say what the last two years are like.
Also got to consider that we were "topping up", so haven't given the recruiters much to work with.

The players we in the last 2 years might all turn out to be 200 game players, some All Australians. We don't know.

But I'm not going to whinge about RCD or Dow - when the depth and quality in those drafts was crap. There's a couple of jack pots after
those picks, but you'd count them on 2 hands. I also know we wouldn't have picked a good player if we didn't think they'd fit the chaos ball
approach Dimma had. Chaos ball didn't have a priority on pin point kicks (unfortunately). Now we get to reap the "rewards" of that era, while
a knew coach undoes that style.
I like Dow and still think he may make it
Maybe not with us , but elsewhere
Watched him train alot , he has alot of upside
Interesting our later and rookie draft pics have been awesome
Lambert , Baker , Pickett , what a ride for them
Current game plan is flawed
We are stuck in no man’s land
Can’t blame the back 6 as the way the opposition transition the ball we find it impossible to defend
No team can defend
Our defensive side of our game stinks
We need all 18 on the ground to defend when we lose possession
Onballers are a huge issue at present and they fail to defend
Dogs killed us on Friday night
They walked through us in the first quarter with no pressure applied when we didn’t have ball
Prestia ,Bolton and Tarranto were very ordinary
You cant be all offensive and no defensive
Thus we lose by 9 goals

The Suns problem this year is they need points to pay for the academy kids. All of them are rated potential top 10 picks. That’s a lot of points.

We can help them by doing pick swaps. Say two second rounders and a third rounder for their first rounder. They get the points they need and we get back into the first round. Other clubs will be trying to do similar deals though.

Ben King will not be involved in this and will not be traded willingly by the GCS.
My post was in the context of Dusty possibly wanting to go to the Suns.

Agree with the pick swaps, after taking Prestia and Lynch off them they might prefer to deal with other clubs, if Dimma gets the coaching job that might change that.

Get Ben King when he's a free agent. Meanwhile we get Lynch back.Dusty leaving would be a disaster.

Clarkson started at Hawthorn in 2005, made finals in 2007, won a flag in 2008. Maybe pinched that one a little early and were at peak from 2012-15.

Bomber Thompson started in 2000 and was immediately 5th. Then dealt with the list took three years to get back to finals in 2005, won the flag in 2009.

Hardwick started in 2010, finals 2013, flag 2017.

What we can take from that is with a fresh start we should be looking to renovate the list for the next three or so years, then make finals and build to a flag. So if a player doesn't have 5-6 years of peak footy left right now then they really aren't any use to us apart from being a short term fix.

That means over the next three years we should definitely be managing out via trade or delisting:

Vlastuin, Prestia, Grimes, Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Lynch, Soldo, Nankervis, McIntosh, Broad and Pickett, joining Tarrant and Castagna who have already gone.

That's 14 who need to go in three years so the break down might be something like:

2023: Tarrant, Castagna, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Pickett. Ideally you would cut deeper early but we are in a hole with our draft picks because of the Hopper trade so we probably can't afford to go much deeper.

2024: Prestia, Grimes, McIntosh, Nankervis

2025: Broad, Martin, Soldo, Lynch.

The issue we have is Lynch and Vlastuin are contracted until 2025 and 2026 so I'd be testing the market for them. You'd have to look at the value of Martin, Soldo and Broad if a deal came up as well.

Then you have your maybes, guys who might be around for another tilt but are right on the edge age wise.

Baker, Short, Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Graham, Young, Miller.

I'd have all of them on the table to trade if the deal was right. Sounds harsh but the fact is when Hardwick started in 2010 he had Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards and Rance on the list who would play in 2017. Reality is very few of our next premiership players are on our list right now and if they are they are in the 18-22 age bracket.

Reactions: 5 users
Clarkson started at Hawthorn in 2005, made finals in 2007, won a flag in 2008. Maybe pinched that one a little early and were at peak from 2012-15.

Bomber Thompson started in 2000 and was immediately 5th. Then dealt with the list took three years to get back to finals in 2005, won the flag in 2009.

Hardwick started in 2010, finals 2013, flag 2017.

What we can take from that is with a fresh start we should be looking to renovate the list for the next three or so years, then make finals and build to a flag. So if a player doesn't have 5-6 years of peak footy left right now then they really aren't any use to us apart from being a short term fix.

That means over the next three years we should definitely be managing out via trade or delisting:

Vlastuin, Prestia, Grimes, Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Lynch, Soldo, Nankervis, McIntosh, Broad and Pickett, joining Tarrant and Castagna who have already gone.

That's 14 who need to go in three years so the break down might be something like:

2023: Tarrant, Castagna, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Pickett. Ideally you would cut deeper early but we are in a hole with our draft picks because of the Hopper trade so we probably can't afford to go much deeper.

2024: Prestia, Grimes, McIntosh, Nankervis

2025: Broad, Martin, Soldo, Lynch.

The issue we have is Lynch and Vlastuin are contracted until 2025 and 2026 so I'd be testing the market for them. You'd have to look at the value of Martin, Soldo and Broad if a deal came up as well.

Then you have your maybes, guys who might be around for another tilt but are right on the edge age wise.

Baker, Short, Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Graham, Young, Miller.

I'd have all of them on the table to trade if the deal was right. Sounds harsh but the fact is when Hardwick started in 2010 he had Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards and Rance on the list who would play in 2017. Reality is very few of our next premiership players are on our list right now and if they are they are in the 18-22 age bracket.
You need to be careful about cutting too deep, too quickly. North is a great example of how things can go horribly, horribly wrong when you do that.

The club as a whole is in a far better place now than the last time we were rebuilding. It should make the process run much more smoothly. Should being the operative word there

Reactions: 8 users