Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

Not sure I share your optimism.

Right now in terms of AFL quality, physically capable, key position forwards and defenders we have Balta.

In the midfield we have Taranto and Bolton who are A Graders.

The gaps in our list are huge and as our champs break down it becomes evident there is very little under them.
The yawning chasms in our list are becoming increasingly apparent.

I think some fans are in for a shock in 2024.

We need to get creative this off-season, that's for sure.
The off season will dictate how we fare next season.

If we can snare key forward like a Kositchke and get Lynch and Gibcus fully fit then I expect a quick bounce back.

We still have enough quality to content for finals.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I certainly wouldn’t trade our stars like Bolton or Balta.

If we can get anything for Graham, Soldo or Ralphsmith - then do it.

If Dustin wants to finish his career with us, negotiate an extension to his 2024 deal - either 1-2 years. Otherwise trade to wherever he wants to go.

Cotchin to retire but I’d keep Jack for one last year (assuming he wants to go on). Reality is we have no young key forwards outside of Bauer who’s speculative at best. Who knows if Lynch will fully recover & Gibcus will be needed down back given Grimes deterioration.

The rest of the rebuild has to come from draft (albeit compromised with no Rd 1 pick this year), rookie draft & free agency. Recruiting & list management are under extreme pressure & rightly so.
Keeping either Jack or Cotch.. they were both great in their day but Jack has had it and should retire. Cotch is close behind.

Not that I agree with it, but the only reason I can think of is that they went with best available (according to their data and opinions) as opposed to list need.
Unfortunately the best available in that draft won’t kick us goals.
You’ve got to ask yourself with competition already so fierce in the backline with DRioli, Baker, Short and potentially Ralphsmith, and Vlastuin and Broad around for a few years yet, where do they plan to play Brown? How many hbf’s do we actually need?
These are the questions I’d like answered but we’ll probably never find out.
But you only have to look at our VFL team to understand we’re out of balance with only the later additions of Bauer and Bradke able to play key forward, so I really don’t get best available vs needs base in this instance.
Compounding this fact is that Brown hasn’t set the world on fire yet. And then they go recruit another hbf in Tresize

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
The reality is not many will be traded.
Mansell, McIntosh and Miller maybe wanted back home.
Graham..
and possibly Dusty.

Need pace and lots more of it too. All over the park.
I'm oversimplifying, but we need to win the football. We're still not doing that enough. We'd look a lot faster if we weren't chasing all the time.
I think we have players with capability to be fast. Not sure they all want to work hard though. Hunger has gone. And been going for a couple years.

Reactions: 3 users
We could take Haynes' $1m salary dump from GWS in exchange for our first pick back. (We could do with a half-back flanker.)

Trade out a couple for picks, bundle them with all our other picks to Gold Coast to help with points for their 3 top-15 academy players in exchange for their first. Go to the draft with two top-10 picks.

Simples.

Reactions: 5 users
We could take Haynes' $1m salary dump from GWS in exchange for our first pick back. (We could do with a half-back flanker.)

Trade out a couple for picks, bundle them with all our other picks to Gold Coast to help with points for their 3 top-15 academy players in exchange for their first. Go to the draft with two top-10 picks.

Simples.

Ooh, imagine the half back flankers we could get with 2 top 10 picks.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I'm oversimplifying, but we need to win the football. We're still not doing that enough. We'd look a lot faster if we weren't chasing all the time.
I think we have players with capability to be fast. Not sure they all want to work hard though. Hunger has gone. And been going for a couple years.
How true is that
You only look slow when you haven’t got the ball as what we saw last Friday
Back to the Dees game we looked quick when we got 20 points in front didn’t we

I note with "interest" that the Pies, Cats, (Hocking), Bombers ( B Scott), Blues, Dogs etc, haven't had a 5 day break for months, but towards the end of a long season the Tigers have to cop one, resulting in Dusty and Chimp being unable to come up for the game......................

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately the best available in that draft won’t kick us goals.
You’ve got to ask yourself with competition already so fierce in the backline with DRioli, Baker, Short and potentially Ralphsmith, and Vlastuin and Broad around for a few years yet, where do they plan to play Brown? How many hbf’s do we actually need?
These are the questions I’d like answered but we’ll probably never find out.
But you only have to look at our VFL team to understand we’re out of balance with only the later additions of Bauer and Bradke able to play key forward, so I really don’t get best available vs needs base in this instance.
Compounding this fact is that Brown hasn’t set the world on fire yet. And then they go recruit another hbf in Tresize
Immediately draft Banks and follow up the next year to recruit Smith too.

Maybe their assesdment was that JVR didnt have the athletic profile to make, otherwise its best available which lust have a small margin between these kids. Needs has to be an important factor.

Not sure I share your optimism.

Right now in terms of AFL quality, physically capable, key position forwards and defenders we have Balta.

In the midfield we have Taranto and Bolton who are A Graders.

The gaps in our list are huge and as our champs break down it becomes evident there is very little under them.
Agreed, though as we are forecasting our next gen we can put Gibcus up there as a potential top end player.
I'd describe it as a Lever - May combo with Gibcus-Balta

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed, though as we are forecasting our next gen we can put Gibcus up there as a potential top end player.
I'd describe it as a Lever - May combo with Gibcus-Balta

True, but I don't think we can count on him until we see him get back up and going again.

This year is a significant disruption in his physical development and those things can tend to echo for a while.