Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

I hope we don't panic and pay over the odds for a ruckman. If one comes up and the deal is fair, fair enough. But keep developing the list as we have been.

I still reckon Graham and Browne have shown enough at times to persevere with 'em. I reckon 1 or both improve to the point of being at least a decent back up ruck, which every side needs. Posters like scribblar have at various times done the scoff scoff write off treatment of pretty much every decent ruckman in the league, bar Kreuzer maybe. They can scoff and huff and puff all they want, but there is obviously no historical knowledge of ruck development.

The sides that have topped up with an established gun ruck for a tilt at the flag have been far more developed than us. Geelong with Otto, Sydney with Everet/ Ball/ Jolly/ Mumford, Collingwood with Jolly, I know you'd find they had an older average age list, 3-5 years older, and also greater depth of established players they could afford to trade with.

If the right deal came up I wouldn't be aginst looking at it. But we have Browne and Graham, who as I said are young and I'm reasonably confident 1 will be OK, still confident Browne will be good. Have Vickery who will ruck more as the years progress and and X man who is untried. Draft and / or rookie 2 or 3 this year and next, if stocks are still thin trade for one in 2013 when our list, hopefully will be saddling up for a tremendous 2014.

The bottom line with Browne is that he should have the opportunity to develop at Coburg. The fact that he has had to shoulder the bulk of the ruck at his age says more about the clubs ability to recruit and retain quality rucks over a sustained period. When Browney plays in the VFL he shows a lot to prove he is worth persevering with (Richmondfc site states he finished 3rd in the B&F last year). However against some of the more experienced rucks of AFL level he gets found out, we cannot expect him to be playing like a Kreuzer or NicNat as they were top draft picks not rookie listed players. However I would like to see him start kicking and not giving the handball off as that makes him far too one dimensional around the ground.

The club should chase hard for a QUALITY mature ruck man who will give us the 3-5 years requierd for Browne and Tyrone to develop.

LeighW said:
The club should chase hard for a QUALITY mature ruck man who will give us the 3-5 years requierd for Browne and Tyrone to develop.

Totally agree with this.

The big disappointment is that Graham has not come on after there has been a lot of time & investment in him.

The list management problems re our rucks have been badly exposed, no two ways about it.

Tigers of Old said:
Totally agree with this.

The big disappointment is that Graham has not come on after there has been a lot of time & investment in him.

The list management problems re our rucks have been badly exposed, no two ways about it.

Do you think this exposes Lade or Gus? Or something else?

KnightersRevenge said:
I've seen potential, but you'll have to remind where I said anything about earth shattering? And I'm not alone clearly otherwise he wouldn't have beaten thousands of kids to end up on an AFL list.Well obviously, you've found me out, I'm just a troll who's hoping the club wallow in the pits of dispare until the end of time, clearly that is the gist of my posts. There are plenty of senior ruckman kicking around now (some of whom others on here are talking about targeting - Minson, Clark) who have been called spuds in their early career, in fact still are.Again, I will happily accept the understanding of those that recruited him. With the exception of Cruezer whenhas a teenage ruck just been awesome? You expect to have to put years into themI don't need an excuse. I have seen plenty to believe that he will be a player. It isn't gambling, it's development, I can understand it being a little surprising as it has been absent at Tigerland for a long time, but it is to be applauded not critisised.Nope, that's called hyperbole. There is always a five year plan. If you want the club to have sustained success then there should be a group developing and maturing for the next premiership, and another group behind them coming through for the one after that, and so on, ad infinitum. You can't lambast the club for having no development and then call for anyone on the list who isn't elite to be delisted at the start of their career. Some will be, some will take time, ruckmen will take years.Nope, I am hoping that the club has more forethought and patience than you and isn't in the business of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Your crystal ball says Browne will never be a senior player. You've summed up all that a 20 yr old 200+cm will ever achieve in just eleven games.

Don't bother ---------------> Dropped.

KnightersRevenge said:
Do you think this exposes Lade or Gus? Or something else?

My own view is that allowing Ottens to leave years ago was a big mistake.
I also think we should have looked at getting a seasoned ruck at the end of 2009 instead of keeping on Simmonds last year who was clearly finished.
This would have allowed our young rucks to develop further and would help our midfield substantially.
Don't think we have used the rookie list all that well either over the past few years to take enough young rucks.

Tigers of Old said:
My own view also was that allowing Ottens to leave years ago was a big mistake.
I also think we should have looked at getting a seasoned ruck at the end of 2009 instead of keeping on Simmonds last year who was clearly finished.
This would have allowed our young rucks to develop further and would help our midfield.
Don't think we have used the rookie list all that well either over the past few years to take enough young rucks.

Ottens needed a good side around himself for him to function mentally.
He was that type of player.
He wasn't going to get that 'free ride' at a struggling side.

Scribblar said:
Ottens needed a good side around himself for him to function mentally.
He was that type of player.
He wasn't going to get that 'free ride' at a struggling side.

I don't buy that argument.
Quite the opposite, I believed he was a player that you built a side around.
He had a lot of injury problems but you can't control that.
He is a very valuable player when fit and most teams would love to have him.
We needed to ad to the talent that he possessed. Not move him on.

Tigers of Old said:
This would have allowed our young rucks to develop further and would help our midfield substantially.
I always got the impression he had fallen out of love with RFC. I didn't think we could really have kept him at the time. Agree on Simmo, was there someone we could have got?

Tigers of Old said:
I don't buy that argument.
Quite the opposite, I believed he was a player that you built a side around.
He had a lot of injury problems but you can't control that.
He is a very valuable player when fit and most teams would love to have him.
We needed to ad to the talent that he possessed. Not move him on.

Yeah, good post Hooteys! Made all the harder to stomach with the Meyer/Patto outcome. Let's face it, Miller loved to wheel and deal and that's what happened - the excitement of the deal. Once it was out there, it was hard for Otto to step back. It got it's own momentum - what I was told anyway.

You have to remember that we didn't want to move Otten's on.

He wanted out himself & who could blame him.

tigerdave said:

If I recall correctly, we wanted to cut his salary. Unfortunately it seems we didn't have the coin to keep him.
Probably to accomodate Wallet's 5 year deal. :p

Tigers of Old said:
If I recall correctly, we wanted to cut his salary. Unfortunately it seems we didn't have the coin to keep him.
Probably to accomodate Wallet's 5 year deal. :p

Perhaps Ottens read Wallace better than anyone else?

tigerdave said:

And the reasons he wanted out? Pay discussions, stalemate, Miller starts wheeling and dealing, offense is created instead of negotiation, no turning back. These things can sometimes turn on dime I'm told - we managed it badly - but what's new back then.

Phar Ace said:
And the reasons he wanted out? Pay discussions, stalemate, Miller starts wheeling and dealing, offense is created instead of negotiation, no turning back. These things can sometimes turn on dime I'm told - we managed it badly - but what's new back then.

I nearly cried when he said he was going.Just when we thought we had a quality "A" grade ruckman he say's i'm out of here.

Could only happen at Richmond!

tigerdave said:
I nearly cried when he said he was going.Just when we thought we had a quality "A" grade ruckman he say's i'm out of here.

I agree. Ottens has been the biggest lose we have had over the last 20 years. Not only was he a #2 draft pick but he was a ruck size and a very good player. These type of players are the hardest to find. Imagine if we currently had Vickery and Ottens playing tandem in the ruck and forward - we would be a significantly better team at the minute. Instead all we have is the memory of how bad Pattson and Meyer were while we watch Moloney continue to become a very good player.

At the time it was a bold move, very un-Richmond, correct in theory, but we stuffed up the golden crispy deep fried battered once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and picked 1 good top 20 draftee out of 5. which was very Richmond. If we had have got 3 out of 5 we'd be sitting pretty.

Tigers of Old said:

Seaby was available IIRC for a mid 20's pick. Looking back now was probably a decent option.

Tigers of Old said:
I was staggered too. Prayed like heck it wasn't going to happen at the time.

It was the same year that Hawthorn traded Nathan Thompson to North and I recall thinking they got a much better deal than we did for a player I thought was inferior.