Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

Yeah, holding our own or even winning the ruck would make a massive difference.

Disco08 said:
We've got the quality, just not the quantity. Nahas and Houli could easily fit into the midfield. Grigg too.

Ball gets is a great stat for measuring depth. Carlton have 10 guys in double figures and we have 5, one of whom is Jackson who I'm not sold on simply because his disposal is so hit and miss although Robinson might be somewhat comparable on the Blues list. All their other ball winners are good users though.

There's work to be done no doubt but miles off is over the top. Having Martin, Cotchin and Deledio puts us a lot closer than we've been in a very long time and adding depth should be a lot easier than finding matchwinners like these guys.

Nahas & Grigg are both odds against for leysy. Houli has found his niche down back.

Heaps of work to do in this area. As you point out with Carltons numbers.

Phar Ace said:
Ladesey agrees with Leysy apparently - the midfield needs some more quality yet.

Good to hear.

We'll see. I don't think the structure this year is necessarily the long term plan and Houli looks an ideal link up player to me. He has the ability to win his own ball too. Nahas is already performing well enough to fit into the lower rungs of a good midfield. Grigg's a bit of a long shot as you say. Morton and Hislop too might still contribute.

One more real top end player with ball winning ability and good disposal would really lift us. Hopefully this draft has one for us. A second rounder along the lines of Beams or Hannebury would do very nicely.

Those names you mention certainly confirm to leysy how much work our midfield needs.

A lot.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Gus has about 60 more hit outs with 2 more games played than Browne. I don't have access to stats for hit outs to advantage where I was looking (footywire) unfortunately but it would be very interesting to evaluate that too.
Player Name MP K H D M HO FF
1 Angus Graham 41 43 50 93 30 203 13
2 Andrew Browne 11 14 56 70 16 135 9

Official AFL stats from RFC website. Graham is behind in hitouts (average) with 30 games in hand. Again, I'm not bagging Gus I would love to see him get up. I don't agree that we need to trade quite so heavily just keep imroving in-house. Browne will be worn out soon so Gus will probably make a return, then we might see what Lade can do, if something has changed in Gus's game?

The kid turns 21 on Thursday. A baby in the ruck sense.
I like the Big Jaffa's go and think he's going to be a ripper in time..
Stick with him and go get a seasoned ruck.

Tigers of Old said:

he's just a kid in many senses, and in the days of the General Lee you couldn't call yourself a ruck until age 27 and even then you had your L plates on.

But our boy Browne has to learn how to be a player around the ground; read the play, run to space, take contested overhead marks, handballs, kick the footy, tackle, block, do the old 1-2,

at the same time he has to be practicing hit outs to advantage, and build his engine.

Then we can find a use for him whether it's on the field or the trade table.

No doubt DDT. He's got a long way to go before he'll compete with an ominous tag team of Warnock & Kreuzer.
However he's no dummy by any means and has plenty of old fashioned G&D. The club will stick with him for a while yet.

Tigers of Old said:

Agree. He has only played 11 games and needs to get some experience. Better now than never :)

Tigers of Old said:
No doubt DDT. He's got a long way to go before he'll compete with an ominous tag team of Warnock & Kreuzer.
However he's no dummy by any means and has plenty of old fashioned G&D. The club will stick with him for a while yet.

Yup. I think he actually shows a fair bit of smarts and is quite capable at ground level for such a big unit. Would like to see him given time to develop rather than the Josh Fraser play-him-before-his-time-and-have-him-look-50-when-he's-28 approach.

All for giving a guy time IF he has shown ability. No point giving a guy time if he's not up to it. How many times have we waited for our players to come good only to be let down just aobut every time? Browne is in the Pattison, Fleming, McGuane, Zantuck, Schulz etc etc etc category. Nathan Vardy shows what it's all about when persisting with a young ruck. Browne ( and Gus) doesn't. ie give them time, give them another year and hopefully will come good.

tigertim said:
All for giving a guy time IF he has shown ability. No point giving a guy time if he's not up to it. How many times have we waited for our players to come good only to be let down just aobut every time? Browne is in the Pattison, Fleming, McGuane, Zantuck, Schulz etc etc etc category. Nathan Vardy shows what it's all about when persisting with a young ruck. Browne ( and Gus) doesn't. ie give them time, give them another year and hopefully will come good.

Disagree. People are too quick to write blokes off. The quick fix is a short-term fix. We are just starting to come together as a team after a mini-re-build post Wallace. Cruezer is a massive exception to the rule on ruckman. Browne shows good hands and smarts in traffic at times. There is plenty of room for improvment but trading blokes isn't the only way. If you want to build a great dynasty surely the best way is to build from within (IMO). To keep a group together as they all improve. A cohesive unit that take pride in their achievments collectively. The Colliwobbles are a bunch of no-names. It is the system that works, not the talent of the individuals, that is why players can slot into the line-up without a huge drop-off.

While i agree with some that Browne does have some wee talent, i just think the way the game is played and no doubt will continue to play you need to have a mobile ruckman. Browne fits in the mould of the Madden dinosaur type ruckmen that would have been great in the late 70's early 80's. Not sure he can become mobile enough to change that.

KnightersRevenge said:
Player Name MP K H D M HO FF
1 Angus Graham 41 43 50 93 30 203 13
2 Andrew Browne 11 14 56 70 16 135 9

Official AFL stats from RFC website. Graham is behind in hitouts (average) with 30 games in hand. Again, I'm not bagging Gus I would love to see him get up. I don't agree that we need to trade quite so heavily just keep imroving in-house. Browne will be worn out soon so Gus will probably make a return, then we might see what Lade can do, if something has changed in Gus's game?

Additional stats that I posted on another thread;
Stats from 2011 ruckman for Tigers for Team Clearances wins for/against as follows;
Player CBounces Won Lost Neutral Differential % Differential CB Wins % OPP CB Wins %
Vickery 69 31 33 5 -2 -3% 45% 48%
Browne 139 49 67 23 -18 -11% 35% 48%
Graham 230 88 120 22 -32 -14% 38% 52%

These stats IMO show some interesting results about Centre Bounce Ruck Clearances in that Vickery is clearly our Best Ruckman at winning a clearance from the ruck contest and all three are one par with each other with regards the % of clearance wins by our opponent. If we want to 'neutralise' centre bounce ruck clearances then Browne does this on nearly 20% of bounces compared to 7% and 10% for Vickery and Graham.

Might be time to 'rob Peter to pay Paul' and give TV extended runs in the ruck and find another marking option in the forward line or just kick it to Jack and play additional 'front and square crumbers' to get the defensive spoils ...

Promising about vickery though i wonder how many of those contests were against the oppositions 2nd/part timer as opposed to their no 1...

Tigers of Old said:

Yep, really think it is that simple too.

DirtyDogTiger said:
But our boy Browne has to learn how to be a player around the ground; read the play, run to space, take contested overhead marks, handballs, kick the footy, tackle, block, do the old 1-2,

Remember they said the same thing of Sandilands about four years back........ patience little DDT

Phar Ace said:
Yep, really think it is that simple too.

Remember they said the same thing of Sandilands about four years back........ patience little DDT

And the Bombers were about to punt Hille at age 24 or so just before he took off.

B1