Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

Phar Ace said:
Remember they said the same thing of Sandilands about four years back........ patience little DDT

Forget 4 years back. 6 years back he wasn't considered good enough to get a game with Claremont in the WAFL! And at the time they were struggling.

Streak said:
Forget 4 years back. 6 years back he wasn't considered good enough to get a game with Claremont in the WAFL! And at the time they were struggling.

and they say we're quick to judge ;D

I'm quite happy with Browne's progress. I think we should put Graham in for the rest of the year and if we aren't happy with his performance we move him on. We then draft a rookie development ruckman, and trade/draft for an aging experienced ruckman (Hille, state leaguer etc) that can fill the gap. We aren't in a position to push for a flag yet, so dropping choice picks for a front line ruckman is a waste at this stage.

Experienced Ruckman, Tom Derickx, Tyrone Vickery, Andrew Browne and rookie developer. Should put us in good stead for the future.

Giardiasis said:
I'm quite happy with Browne's progress. I think we should put Graham in for the rest of the year and if we aren't happy with his performance we move him on. We then draft a rookie development ruckman, and trade/draft for an aging experienced ruckman (Hille, state leaguer etc) that can fill the gap. We aren't in a position to push for a flag yet, so dropping choice picks for a front line ruckman is a waste at this stage.

Experienced Ruckman, Tom Derickx, Tyrone Vickery, Andrew Browne and rookie developer. Should put us in good stead for the future.

Agree in general except I think Derickx is the development, grab a bigger older body if there is one available, but plan for the ongoing improvment of the ones we've got.

Our boy Browne has a good game against the Bummers last meeting...hope he can duplicate that effort this week.

I'm assuming that he'll be picked of course...(not that we have another ruckman sticking their hand up!)

Make all the comparison with Sandilands early on, and try to justify other past player's early form against Browne's, but one thing you are dismissing.
Sit at a game, watch Browne play. Honesty watch Browne play.
Where will the improvement come from?

Come on, Sandilands uses his 211cm a lot better than Browne will ever use his 203cm.

Browne is awful.

Scribblar said:
Make all the comparison with Sandilands early on, and try to justify other past player's early form against Browne's, but one thing you are dismissing.
Sit at a game, watch Browne play. Honesty watch Browne play.
Where will the improvement come from?

Come on, Sandilands uses his 211cm a lot better than Browne will ever use his 203cm.

Browne is awful.
Thoughtful, insightful, motivational. :spin Until we posted the stats most people were saying he doesn't touch the ball. Actually watch the game, live and not on TV and see the small things he does. Picking out Cotchin and Martin with a sly handball through traffic. Getting to the right place. He has the ability and the smarts. He's got a long way to go, but it is patently ridiculous, inflammatory and reactionary (you aren't a journo by any chance?) to say that you can tell that Browne won't develop. That is crystal ball stuff, which is fine, but deserves to be taken with a pinch grain of salt.

KnightersRevenge said:
Thoughtful, insightful, motivational. :spin Until we posted the stats most people were saying he doesn't touch the ball. Actually watch the game, live and not on TV and see the small things he does. Picking out Cotchin and Martin with a sly handball through traffic. Getting to the right place. He has the ability and the smarts. He's got a long way to go, but it is patently ridiculous, inflammatory and reactionary (you aren't a journo by any chance?) to say that you can tell that Browne won't develop. That is crystal ball stuff, which is fine, but deserves to be taken with a pinch grain of salt.

Now who's using a crystal ball?
Ability and smarts? You've got to be kidding? Now you're inventing things you WANT him to be and do.
He can dive on a ball, he handballs after a mark to a team-mate 2 feet away who is immediately tackled by the guy ON Browne's mark, he can't think when it counts, and has the agility and speed of a block of cement.

If you think picking out "Cotchin and Martin" with a handball within arms length and then placing "Cotchin and Martin" under the hammer in traffic is enough to say that that has put Browne on the right path to becoming a fine Ruckman for us, then you want Richmond to continue to have a slow, confused, constantly beatable Ruck Divison.

Scribblar said:
Now who's using a crystal ball?
Ability and smarts? You've got to be kidding? Now you're inventing things you WANT him to be and do.
He can dive on a ball, he handballs after a mark to a team-mate 2 feet away who is immediately tackled by the guy ON Browne's mark, he can't think when it counts, and has the agility and speed of a block of cement.

If you think picking out "Cotchin and Martin" with a handball within arms length and then placing "Cotchin and Martin" under the hammer in traffic is enough to say that that has put Browne on the right path to becoming a fine Ruckman for us, then you want Richmond to continue to have a slow, confused, constantly beatable Ruck Divison.

No crystal ball. What crystal ball? What outlandish prediction of the future did I make? I've been watching him since he started. You're gazing into the future and writing off a 20 yr old based on what? It's easy to take pot shots (that I personally believe are un-warranted). Big slow handball thing is a problem, no arguement there. But to judge whether he can be useful surely it is his strengths that will tell you where his potential lies, not his weaknesses. I'm definitely a "glass half full" kind of bloke. But I don't think I'm delusional. Potting a 20 yr old ruckman after 11 games is utterly ridiculous.

KnightersRevenge said:
No crystal ball. What crystal ball? What outlandish prediction of the future did I make? I've been watching him since he started. You're gazing into the future and writing off a 20 yr old based on what? It's easy to take pot shots (that I personally believe are un-warranted). Big slow handball thing is a problem, no arguement there. But to judge whether he can be useful surely it is his strengths that will tell you where his potential lies, not his weaknesses. I'm definitely a "glass half full" kind of bloke. But I don't think I'm delusional. Potting a 20 yr old ruckman after 11 games is utterly ridiculous.

You are looking into your own deluded crystal ball and you are just plain inventing things Browne does poorly, and trying to turn them into earth shattering plays and talent.
Set some standards pal. If you think at the end of the year there are no better Ruckman on the market BETTER than Browne, irrespective of age, than I have no argument with you. You're crazy. You don't want to better the current squad. You're happy with mediocrity.

Again....have a look at Browne.....what do you actually see in him?
He's a poor choice in ANY team.
Stop using his age as an excuse. Gambling on players that are poor weighed up against the core players we have ready to go, is a waste of everyone's time.
You might have another 5 year plan in you to keep gambling on young guys who are CURRENTLY poor, but the rest of the playing group deserves better. That's called standard setting.

Browne's not the best we can do going forward. I know it. You believe otherwise. I'm not looking anywhere but now. You are looking into the future, you are gambling, guessing and crystal ball gazing.

Scribblar said:
You are looking into your own deluded crystal ball and you are just plain inventing things Browne does poorly, and trying to turn them into earth shattering plays and talent.
Set some standards pal. If you think at the end of the year there are no better Ruckman on the market BETTER than Browne, irrespective of age, than I have no argument with you. You're crazy. You don't want to better the current squad. You're happy with mediocrity.

Stop using his age as an excuse. Gambling on players that are poor weighed up against the core players we have ready to go, is a waste of everyone's time.
You might have another 5 year plan in you to keep gambling on young guys who are CURRENTLY poor, but the rest of the playing group deserves better. That's called standard setting.

Browne's not the best we can do going forward. I know it. You believe otherwise. I'm not looking anywhere but now. You are looking into the future, you are gambling, guessing and crystal ball gazing.
What you have just posted is what this club has been doing for the last 30 years. Keeping blokes because they are young, only to find out 6-7 years later that they aint any bloody good. Agree, Browne and Gus are not going to be premiership ruckman, no matter how people try and sugar coat it.

Phar Ace said:
Remember they said the same thing of Sandilands about four years back........ patience little DDT

Browney has definately shown some good signs this year. Has struggled a bit the past few.
Unsurprising really as he's carrying such a heavy load for a youngster.
Unlikely to end up as good as Sandilands who's one of the best I've seen but I sure wouldn't write him off this early yet as a potentially good ruck in the future.
He will be on the list in 2012.

frawleyudud said:
What you have just posted is what this club has been doing for the last 30 years. Keeping blokes because they are young, only to find out 6-7 years later that they aint any bloody good. Agree, Browne and Gus are not going to be premiership ruckman, no matter how people try and sugar coat it.

'Frawley', some of the guys here believe that you can't pick talent early. That talent appears suddenly from the heavens when you are 23/24/25.

That is utter BS.

Good teams that pick talent can see the talent early, play the talent early, and ignore the guess work project players.
Most of the time Richmond loves blindly picking, crossing their fingers, and guessing.

Oh, and btw, didn't Hardwick want guys coming to the club who could kick the ball? Not kick the ball in 5 years.
Now we need guys who can play immediately whether they play as a kid or a mature player.

Scribblar said:
I've seen potential, but you'll have to remind where I said anything about earth shattering? And I'm not alone clearly otherwise he wouldn't have beaten thousands of kids to end up on an AFL list.
Well obviously, you've found me out, I'm just a troll who's hoping the club wallow in the pits of dispare until the end of time, clearly that is the gist of my posts. There are plenty of senior ruckman kicking around now (some of whom others on here are talking about targeting - Minson, Clark) who have been called spuds in their early career, in fact still are.
Again, I will happily accept the understanding of those that recruited him. With the exception of Cruezer whenhas a teenage ruck just been awesome? You expect to have to put years into them
I don't need an excuse. I have seen plenty to believe that he will be a player. It isn't gambling, it's development, I can understand it being a little surprising as it has been absent at Tigerland for a long time, but it is to be applauded not critisised.
Nope, that's called hyperbole. There is always a five year plan. If you want the club to have sustained success then there should be a group developing and maturing for the next premiership, and another group behind them coming through for the one after that, and so on, ad infinitum.  You can't lambast the club for having no development and then call for anyone on the list who isn't elite to be delisted at the start of their career. Some will be, some will take time, ruckmen will take years.
Nope, I am hoping that the club has more forethought and patience than you and isn't in the business of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Your crystal ball says Browne will never be a senior player. You've summed up all that a 20 yr old 200+cm will ever achieve in just eleven games.