Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

Leysy Days said:
If we cant get that long termer via trade we do need to get an older ruckman in though to give us some relief, whether that be a Seaby, Griffin, Hille type. But needs to be on the cheap. i.e pick in the 3rd rd or later so that we dont jeopardize getting a talented long termer through the doors.

Beyond McIntosh who fits the bill? I don't think a third rounder would be enough for Griffen, Hille still seems a required player and Seaby would probably command a second rounder in a compromised draft. Pity Bellchambers is off the table.

bullus_hit said:
Very true, in fact I recall he had to shed 20 kg in order to reach the desired playing weight. Browne deserves more time, I just hope the athleticism comes with the experience.

When Browne was drafted he was amazingly unfit & had the worst body shape of any player leysy's seen drafted.

Remember watching training & he was knocked up running one lap.

He's coming from an extremely low base aerobic & strength wise.

Leysy Days said:
When Browne was drafted he was amazingly unfit & had the worst body shape of any player leysy's seen drafted.

Remember watching training & he was knocked up running one lap.

He's coming from an extremely low base aerobic & strength wise.

Then he's come a long way as he gets through the game at the same pace regardless of the qtr.

After seeing him in the Brissie game, still has the worst body shape, and fitness is a question. but he actually was better later, maybe as others tired, he just as Pharace said, stayed the same.

Leysy Days said:
Interesting where we go from here.

Leysy would be open to most suggestions.

Of our current stocks leysy would delist Graham & keep Browne developing. Derickx would be line ball for another year depending on how he comes back from his injury.

The one thing leysy wouldnt do is trade away a 1st rd pick for someone who wouldnt be here for the a 6-7 year period. i.e McIntosh.

We need that pick to add another long termer to the list. Now if it is a ruckman that is young enough that would be OK. i.e Mitch Clark. Otherwise we are better off adding a talented young midfielder & chasing a top line ruck hard once free agency comes in.

If we cant get that long termer via trade we do need to get an older ruckman in though to give us some relief, whether that be a Seaby, Griffin, Hille type. But needs to be on the cheap. i.e pick in the 3rd rd or later so that we dont jeopardize getting a talented long termer through the doors.
I will probably get shot down here but what about Will Minson as they cheap ruckmen? A guy who can fill in until someone like Browne fully matures.

I would give up a first rounder for a Mitch Clarke. I would even chase a long termer like Jordan Roughead.

Leysy Days said:
Interesting where we go from here.

Leysy would be open to most suggestions.

Of our current stocks leysy would delist Graham & keep Browne developing.c would be line ball for another year depending on how he comes back from his injury.

The one thing leysy wouldnt do is trade away a 1st rd pick for someone who wouldnt be here for the a 6-7 year period. i.e McIntosh.

We need that pick to add another long termer to the list. Now if it is a ruckman that is young enough that would be OK. i.e Mitch Clark. Otherwise we are better off adding a talented young midfielder & chasing a top line ruck hard once free agency comes in.

And that's the guts of it. Nothing wrong with Derickx getting a good run at it once his body is right. We would be made not to at least give him a shot at the top level before the year is out.

I would keep adding talent for the midfield unless Billy Longer is on the board at our pick. Would jump at him. Myles Bolger is another one who might get through to a second round pick. But unless it is a top flight ruck I would be happy to build the core up and get one in free agency.

Free agency will change things like nothing else. And with ruckman coming on later then normal picks, I think clubs will turn them over quicker and thus leaving more on the free agent market.

But just on Browne, no way would I have him in the delist group. Coming from miles back and improving. For all those that wanted to keep going with Gus, they are very quick in flipping out Browne dog. I do think that we will see Gus at the highest level before the year is out. To push up his trade value to someone like GWS or to make a final call on him.

The ruck is one of the few spots on the ground that can be fixed from one year to the next unlike the midfield and backline.

Smoking Aces said:
I will probably get shot down here but what about Will Minson as they cheap ruckmen? A guy who can fill in until someone like Browne fully matures.

I would give up a first rounder for a Mitch Clarke. I would even chase a long termer like Jordan Roughead.

Yeah leysy would give up our first pick for Clark as well. Him & TV would make for an exciting combo.

Leysy's not a fan of Minson. But as a last resort he would better than we have.

If we were to go young agree that Roughead is a good option as might someone like Dawson Simpson. Max Bailey's coming on really well at Hawthorn of late, but is obviously buyer beware with his knees.

I'd do the first pick for Clark too. We'd go from weakness to strength in the ruck in one season with Tyrone's inevitable improvement.

Leysy Days said:
Yeah leysy would give up our first pick for Clark as well. Him & TV would make for an exciting combo.
Price tag of $500k - $600K??

Personally I would still do it. Plenty of room in the salary cap to work with. Would almost complete our midfield (still short 1 more quality inside mid) but at the same time not compromise our forward structure as like you said, Clarke and Vickery could easily rotate between the 2 areas on the ground.

Its a hefty price to pay but thats what happens when you over look drafting ruckmen on a regular basis through either the national or rookie drafts.

I think we need to spend the money on Clark. Right age and right skillset.

As we know only too well, good ruckmen don't grow on trees.

Smoking Aces said:
Price tag of $500k - $600K??

Personally I would still do it. Plenty of room in the salary cap to work with. Would almost complete our midfield (still short 1 more quality inside mid) but at the same time not compromise our forward structure as like you said, Clarke and Vickery could easily rotate between the 2 areas on the ground.

Its a hefty price to pay but thats what happens when you over look drafting ruckmen on a regular basis through either the national or rookie drafts.

Yeah 500K is a lot but geez leysy'd think seriously about it. They'd compliment each other nicely as you say.

Disagree on our midfield though. We are still a million miles away from having that part of our side complete. Outside our rucks its our biggest weakness ILO.

Leysy Days said:
Yeah 500K is a lot but geez leysy'd think seriously about it. They'd compliment each other nicely as you say.

Disagree on our midfield though. We are still a million miles away from having that part of our side complete. Outside our rucks its our biggest weakness ILO.

Surprised Leysy is so happy with our backlline.

Tigers of Old said:
I can't see us spending that unfortunately..yet.
Could be right TOO. Would easily become top 5 paid players at the club.
Leysy Days said:

Ruck, CHB, quality inside mid and a goal kicking half forward is where I think our priority should lie in the next 2 drafts/trade periods.

Drafting someone like Clarke would sort out the ruck and hopefully free agency sorts out one of those remaining areas as well.

No one should underestimate the responsibility that Hartley and Jackson have in shaping the future of this club.

Leysy Days said:

Foley, Cotchin, Martin, Deledio and Conca is a solid nucleus. It's the backline which has more holes than swiss cheese - aside from GC we have the highest average score against in the competition. Granted we are missing a few but apart from Rance nobody really appears a forgone conclusion.

Thats just 5 you named.

We need to double that number of hard running skilled linkup players that can also win there own ball to get near the top teams in that area. Miles off yet.

Backline also needs work. Grimes will be a player. Rance hopefully as well. Batchelor too. We need a strong bodied key back that can take a contested mark for them guys to work off. Also a back pocket & another half back. Whether the latter are on the list already. Not sure.

Smoking Aces said:
Ruck, CHB, quality inside mid and a goal kicking half forward is where I think our priority should lie in the next 2 drafts/trade periods.

Drafting someone like Clarke would sort out the ruck and hopefully free agency sorts out one of those remaining areas as well.

No one should underestimate the responsibility that Hartley and Jackson have in shaping the future of this club.

Agree with those needs, but add a batch of hard running ball users as leysy mentioned above to the list. So basically everything except key forwards which is the one plus as they are so hard to find.

& bang on about Hartley & Jackson. Our future is in there hands.

Certainly have liked what I've see with Batchelor and Grimes, reasonably confident of those two coming on. As far as the running back is concerned, we may well snare that player in a trade if the whispers are true. I'm hoping next year's draft will also reap a CHB, many recruiters seem to be quite buoyant about the bigman depth and to potentially have three picks in the top 30 will leave us well placed.

Just a comment on our recent aversion on recruiting Clark, I'm wondering if he's already signed with GWS because there seems an awful lot of certainty with the figures being bandied around. These types of announcements don't usually come mid-season either, I reckon the RFC has caught wind of this and are focusing their attention elsewhere.

Leysy Days said:
Thats just 5 you named.

We need to double that number of hard running skilled linkup players that can also win there own ball to get near the top teams in that area. Miles off yet.

We've got the quality, just not the quantity. Nahas and Houli could easily fit into the midfield. Grigg too.

Ball gets is a great stat for measuring depth. Carlton have 10 guys in double figures and we have 5, one of whom is Jackson who I'm not sold on simply because his disposal is so hit and miss although Robinson might be somewhat comparable on the Blues list. All their other ball winners are good users though.

There's work to be done no doubt but miles off is over the top. Having Martin, Cotchin and Deledio puts us a lot closer than we've been in a very long time and adding depth should be a lot easier than finding matchwinners like these guys.

Leysy Days said:

Ladesey agrees with Leysy apparently - the midfield needs some more quality yet.

But Mitch Clark would allow what we have to operate as their talent would see fit.