Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

tigersnake said:
beware the big crystal ball statement. Dime a dozen and usually wrong.

They will be a good side. But history tells us that not every single one of their early draftees will make it, and even if a lot do, the salary cap will work its magic. (Geez Lynch looks good.)

Re rucks, no need to panic yet, keep drafting a couple a year. If we're still deficient once we're playing regular finals then maybe make a play for a good ruck.

that will mean a good ruckmen is from 3-4 years up to 6-7 years away, if we have ti find a young one ourselves

tigersnake said:
beware the big crystal ball statement. Dime a dozen and usually wrong.

They will be a good side. But history tells us that not every single one of their early draftees will make it, and even if a lot do, the salary cap will work its magic. (Geez Lynch looks good.)

Hear it right here right now, in 3 or 4 years Gold Coast will be unbeatable. Don't need every one of their early draftees to make it. Half will do it nicely and nice further high picks and topping up along the way. Salary cap? Demitrifool will keep them happy, it won't be a problem.

I think he'll be ok.

He gives everything when he's out there, and I think the things like dropping marks are just a lack of confidence more than lack of skill.

He works his backside off and genuinely wants to improve.

I should probably declare my hand and say The Mansfield Monster is a personal favourite of mine so I may view his performances through rose-coloured glasses. That said I can't believe some people are comparing Graham's output over the first 8 weeks of the season with Browney's since. Graham's efforts have been dissected enough in the thread about him playing like a cutout but it's fair to say I agree with most of the views there.

I remember looking at the Dreamtime game about 4 weeks out and being terrified about what their rucks would do to us. Browney came in (a few weeks overdue IMO) after Graham's effort against the Bulldogs (no comment) and took on Hille, Ryder and Bellchambers almost singlehandedly. I defy anyone to tell me he wasn't a large reason we won that game. His next game against Port wasn't his best but I thought he was pretty serviceable against Sydney (despite Seaby having a pretty big impact), very good against Brisbane (ditto Leuengerger) and serviceable again on Saturday.

Obviously there are elements of his game that could use some work like the way he telegraphs handballs (the one in the centre in the last quarter against Essendon wasn't great, he did one against Brisbane and there was also one deep in defence in the first quarter against Sydney) but I believe at 20 he's a genuine prospect. I remember 2 boofheads on the Hun site (pretty sure it was Jon Ralph and Sam Edmund) laughing when he was named for the Essendon game based on how he went in the infamous Ben Cousins Carlton game when he was 18 and had been on an AFL list for a few months. I only hope they actually watched the match and tucked into a nice big slice of humble pie.

Browney's a competitor who always gives 110% and frankly that's something I haven't seen in evidence from all our ruckmen this year...as Dimma said he won't die wondering. Long live The Mansfield Monster!

A better prospect than Graham IMO. Works harder - gets more hitouts and drops back into the backline to help the defenders. At 20 he is also younger than Graham and has plenty of upside for the coming years. Need an experienced ruck to help him out. That is a must.

Let's not forget that Graham did a bloody good job against Freo and was pivitol in our win by having ther fitness to run sandilands of his feet towards the end.

Leysy Days said:
Your not still on the Graham bandwagon Baloo.

Time to move on.

Shame there is another St Jude on PRE, I was considering changing my name.

the problem with brown is that it will be up to 4 to 5 years off the beginning of his best, not his fault, but need a much more effective ruckman now

While i doubt he will ever make it as a first choice ruckman, at any other club he would be spending his time in the ressies growing and learning. At RFC he needs to take the no 1 spot with no support.

jokershoppe said:
the problem with brown is that it will be up to 4 to 5 years off the beginning of his best, not his fault, but need a much more effective ruckman now

Are we contending for the premiership now?

IanG said:
Are we contending for the premiership now?
no but there is more than daylight between brown and most other ruckman, tigers have not beaten oposing ruckman once this year, thats like saying a full forward who plays most year, is ok with 10 goals for the year

jokershoppe said:

It might take Brown 4 or 5 years to be at his best I think with another pre season under his belt he might show significant improvement in 1 or 2 years.

jokershoppe said:

We can't wait that long. Terry Wallace pulled that one over us before.

The next 5 year whatever can shove it!!!!

:veryupset

Sorry big guy but you cannot play football at this level you are not ready.

GEDS1 said:
Sorry big guy but you cannot play football at this level you are not ready.

Don't think he will ever be ready.
Absolutely pantsed today by Warnock.

When we win people say Browne might be ok, when we get done people say he's a spud. As far as I'm concerned win or lose he's not an acceptable AFL ruckman.