Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

Sintiger said:
I think blaming Lade is missing the major point . He can only work with the cattle he is given .

To me we only have one player on the list who could become a top line ruckman and that's Tyrone Vickery and we are playing him forward . Graham and Browne are probably playing to the level of their capabilities right now .

How can you say Browne is playing to the level of his capabilities right now. Before you make a comment like that try asking yourself a couple of very simple questions (which Im sure will be easy for you).

1/ How old is he ?
2/ How many games has he played?
3/ How long does it take for a ruckman to develope (look at Jamar or Mumford as examples).

Give the kid and the coaches a chance - like anorher 2 years and 40 games then pass judgement.

BrisTiger24 said:
Not sure how you can make that assessment about Browne as a 20 year old. On that basis you would have written off Cox, Jolly, Jamar etc at a similar age. The only player that has shown something at such a young age as a ruckman is probably Kreuzer.

Do you take a gamble on Dawson Simpson from Geelong as trade option?

ThePercies said:
Do you take a gamble on Dawson Simpson from Geelong as trade option?

Yeh, good suggestion. Not sure, would depend how much we have to give up. One thing I think we need to do is to determine Graham's fate by year end. We need to play him for the rest of the season and if he show's nothing move him on. On Simpson, not sure he gives us anything more than Browne at this point, just another developing huge ruckman. I think I would prefer to grab another ruck as a later pick in the draft or rookie draft. Then, in a year or two, when we are closer to being contenders pull the trigger on a trade for a gun ruckman, whoever that may be at that point in time.

BARS said:
How can you say Browne is playing to the level of his capabilities right now. Before you make a comment like that try asking yourself a couple of very simple questions (which Im sure will be easy for you).

1/ How old is he ?
2/ How many games has he played?
3/ How long does it take for a ruckman to develope (look at Jamar or Mumford as examples).

Give the kid and the coaches a chance - like anorher 2 years and 40 games then pass judgement.
BARS , look at what I said . He is playing at the level of his capabilities right now (i.e he is playing to the level he can now, not that he is playing at the highest level his capabilities will ever be ) . I think all that you have said means that his capabilities may increase because he is just 20 , that is possible . But my personal view is that I don't think he will be become a top line ruckman . Since he arrived at the club we have seen a level of agility , pace and skill in Vickery that I have never seen in Browne .I would persevere with Browne for those reasons but wouldn't persevere with Angus Graham because I don't think he can get better . However I still believe that neither has the tools to be a top liner.
They are just opinions .

Sintiger said:
I think blaming Lade is missing the major point . He can only work with the cattle he is given .

To me we only have one player on the list who could become a top line ruckman and that's Tyrone Vickery and we are playing him forward . Graham and Browne are probably playing to the level of their capabilities right now .

At the same age Jamar looked even worse. We have to persist. Make sure we rookie a ruckman each year.

Dont understand the Browne bagging. He has been more than serviceable in the ruck and generally wins the same tapouts as his opponents. Compared to Graham this is an improvement.

One area he needs to improve on is around the ground getting easier touches (like in the Essendon game) and following his opponent, got caught out watching the ball when Martin pushed 20m forward and took an easy mark. This is easier to teach than heart and size which Browne already has.

Sintiger said:
BARS , look at what I said . He is playing at the level of his capabilities right now (i.e he is playing to the level he can now, not that he is playing at the highest level his capabilities will ever be ) . I think all that you have said means that his capabilities may increase because he is just 20 , that is possible . But my personal view is that I don't think he will be become a top line ruckman . Since he arrived at the club we have seen a level of agility , pace and skill in Vickery that I have never seen in Browne .I would persevere with Browne for those reasons but wouldn't persevere with Angus Graham because I don't think he can get better . However I still believe that neither has the tools to be a top liner.
They are just opinions .
Fair enough sintiger - I get your point and don't disagree with you oppinion on Graham, he's had an extra 40 games and is 2 years older. However my oppinion is that Browne does have the tools to be a top line ruckman. You say he dosent have the pace an agility of Vickery (yet he was written off as uncoordinated dud and a wast of draft pick by many) and again I would agree. He dosent need to be like Vickery what he will be in 2 years time is a 203cm 110 +kilo ruckman who will be able to physically compete with any ruckman in the competition. What I think we have in Browne is a player who wants to compete has a good brain (ie he is smart) who hates losing. He needs to keep playing and he will develope.
I think the best comparison to make is with Mumford. He's not quick or agile and took a long time to get going he is 4 years older than Browne.

BARS said:
Fair enough sintiger - I get your point and don't disagree with you oppinion on Graham, he's had an extra 40 games and is 2 years older. However my oppinion is that Browne does have the tools to be a top line ruckman. You say he dosent have the pace an agility of Vickery (yet he was written off as uncoordinated dud and a wast of draft pick by many) and again I would agree. He dosent need to be like Vickery what he will be in 2 years time is a 203cm 110 +kilo ruckman who will be able to physically compete with any ruckman in the competition. What I think we have in Browne is a player who wants to compete has a good brain (ie he is smart) who hates losing. He needs to keep playing and he will develope.
I think the best comparison to make is with Mumford. He's not quick or agile and took a long time to get going he is 4 years older than Browne.
TV certainly wasn't written off by me BARS , I have always liked him .

Obviously I would prefer you to right rather than me in the case of Browne .

Jukes Extended said:
We get smashed week in week out against half decent ruckmen.
We need to start chasing one form another club.
as a precaution, we need to chase, leave no stone unturned.

A big mong who trips over his own shadow but gets his hands to it a lot. Unsure how opposition players can shark his taps more than we do.

our weak ruck stocks are significly making it harder for us to improve, this must be our no 1 priority, it is a real concern the gap between other oposition ruckmen and ours, if brownlow votes were decided on who killed their oposing player the most, then all other ruckmem who played against us would have plenty of brownlow votes, tigers need to chase at least one ready ruckmen, plenty of clubs have at least 2 rucks who would love a no 1 ruck position

We need to bite the bullet and draft an experienced ruckman to get us through the next couple of years while Brown develops. David Hille may come reasonabley cheap and should be considered.

serpico_66 said:
We need to bite the bullet and draft an experienced ruckman to get us through the next couple of years while Brown develops. David Hille may come reasonabley cheap and should be considered.

David hille is over the hill now, we don't need to chase his type...chase the mitch Clarkes, hampsons, goldsteins...if were gonna trade for a ruckman let's make it worth while and make sure they're still playing for us in 2013 when wel be a good side

Tiger_4_Life said:
David hille is over the hill now, we don't need to chase his type...chase the mitch Clarkes, hampsons, goldsteins...if were gonna trade for a ruckman let's make it worth while and make sure they're still playing for us in 2013 when wel be a good side

rather keep Browne then get Hampson, he is a King Dud

evo said:
they were the same rucks we had last year when we were one of the clearance leaders.

Something's changed.

We were 8th in clearance disposal differential to opposition team last year. This year we are last, so that's clearances, 1%ers and tackles we are last by differential. We are 3rd last in contested possession by differentail too. Know who is 2nd in clearance differential, Gold Coast. They are going to be a seriously good side in 3 years time. I'd venture to say almost unbeatable.

GoodOne said:
Gold Coast. They are going to be a seriously good side in 3 years time. I'd venture to say almost unbeatable.

beware the big crystal ball statement. Dime a dozen and usually wrong.

They will be a good side. But history tells us that not every single one of their early draftees will make it, and even if a lot do, the salary cap will work its magic. (Geez Lynch looks good.)

Re rucks, no need to panic yet, keep drafting a couple a year. If we're still deficient once we're playing regular finals then maybe make a play for a good ruck.