Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

Two examples. Jolly and Jamar. Both absolute spuds who their fans hated. After they turned 24? Jolly got a new gig and Jamar began to resemble a decent footballer. Browne and Graham are still chances. I'd have Browne ahead on capacity to improve though.

Barnzy said:
Miller was matched up against Leuenberger in the ruck a fair bit.

He was, and every time it happened I was furious, but leuenberger got lots of possention when Browne was on

U2Tigers said:
I just don't know yet with this bloke.

Very strange watching him tonight.

I wasn't far from interchange bench.

6-7 minutes in the 1st quarter he came off, he was doubled over, looked so exhausted I was worried.

Couldn't stop laughing at him when he came off, he looked spent, like he needed 10 minutes to catch his breathe, he looked like that all night. But his 2nd half, he was quite good. his physical stuff in the 2nd half was good.

very strange watching Browne tonight.

I though that when I sitting in a similar location at the SCG last week. He just keeps going though. I think because he is tall he has a posture issue and tends to stoop a bit.

I really liked his game last night. Made some good tackles, went hard at the ball.

Btw one of the coaches needs to take Brownie aside and let him know it's ok to kick occasionally. He's not a great kick, but it's not that hard to bomb it long down the line

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Btw one of the coaches needs to take Brownie aside and let him know it's ok to kick occasionally. He's not a great kick, but it's not that hard to bomb it long down the line

i wonder if he's following instructions because he gets the ball and his body language says i'm going to kick it, but then he remembers 'oh yeah...not allowed' and he looks sideways for the running handball receiver

like when Rance wouldn't mark, he only spoiled

DirtyDogTiger said:
i wonder if he's following instructions because he gets the ball and his body language says i'm going to kick it, but then he remembers 'oh yeah...not allowed' and he looks sideways for the running handball receiver

I expect that this is likely to be the case.

DirtyDogTiger said:

I'm sure the coaching staff would prefer him to han pass but good coaches (and I believe Lade is a good coach) don't tell players not to kick, it's terrible for their confidence.

I suspect it's a self imposed rule in Browne's head.

Big Browne is one paced - and I get the feeling he could play like that back in early day's games that went for three days. he's what 19? He will wear players down, not unlike big Sandi did in his early days.

I recall from my earliest viewing of him that his hands down low are really good for a big bloke so young. He has no/minimal leap yet - made so evident by Leuenberger sometimes being 30-60cm above hands wise at the centre bounces - Things evened up remarkably once the centre line is taken out of the equation.

Leuenberger up until 3/4 qtr time was BOG for mine. Vickery changed that in an instance. Does that mean Browne as bad to ordinary? No, as i said I think Dimma wisely used Browne to wear the Big Burger down while Vickery foiled for Jack.

Then Dimma used Vickery as a knockout punch at the start of the 4th in the ruck - there were about 3-4 minutes that turned the game - and Vickery was front and centre while Browne was off the ground - he had done his job by then and went back on to maintain the pressure.

As an aside, on our ruck status - at no time did Lade say pre-address that we had any pressing needs for rucks. At the time I was astounded, but watching Vickery yesterday, I think I understand where he was coming from. He said we needed to address a FB and CHB and said the present football department were happy with the development of our forward personnel and structures, but we did still need a another couple of additional half backs. No rucks?!

The most telling comment which, as a muffled throw away line by another well known official who i won't name, who seemed disgusted in Graham - in the sense that perhaps he shouldn't even be on the list (my take on his exasperation).

Thought Browne did excellently last night, for an inexperienced ruckman.
Afterall, he hasn't even turned 21yo yet. For a 20yo to be a full time senior ruckman is just incredible.

You look at other 20yo ruckmen in other teams and they're playing mostly 2nd ruck roles.

Imagine what Browne will be like at 24yo, when most other ruckmen click?

Those PRE'nders who deride him seem more intent on sabotaging our team's overall development.
Maybe these PRE'nders who enjoy deriding our junior developing players are oppostion recruiters in disguise.

Browne was pretty good I thought. Read the play well helping in defence and some of his taps to Martin were great, Graham cant even do that in training lol.

Phantom said:
Those PRE'nders who deride him seem more intent on sabotaging our team's overall development.
Maybe these PRE'nders who enjoy deriding our junior developing players are oppostion recruiters in disguise.

They're fans Phanto - how can they sabotage anything? And the next line................ :headscratch :cutelaugh

Phar Ace said:
As an aside, on our ruck status - at no time did Lade say pre-address that we had any pressing needs for rucks. At the time I was astounded, but watching Vickery yesterday, I think I understand where he was coming from. He said we needed to address a FB and CHB and said the present football department were happy with the development of our forward personnel and structures, but we did still need a another couple of additional half backs. No rucks?!

Which is probably fair enough.

Vickery, Browne, Graham and Derickx at the moment are set to fight it out for two spots. . I would hope though that rather than try and recruit an experienced ruck we rookie another young bloke who can develop his craft at Coburg. We are still in develop mode so the club can afford to wait another couple of years to determine whether the current blokes can make it.

I suspect the club would be hoping Griffiths can fill the role Vickery is currently playing. In an ideal world Griffiths would also provide ruck support although perhaps his body won't allow it. If he does develop into a forward/ruck I suspect Graham's time at the club will be under even more pressure.

It looks as though Hardwick likes the Number 1 ruck to contest for a large amount of the game. A role that both Browne and Vickery will be suited to in a couple of years time.

I was impressed with Brownes hard running to stand in the hole in our defensive 50. Gives his all. Would persist with him until end of the season and get as many games into him as we can. Naturally being the number 1 ruckmen at 20 years old is going to take its toll on him. Only then would I consider Graham back in the team.

Phar Ace said:
They're fans Phanto - how can they sabotage anything? And the next line................ :headscratch :cutelaugh

Well, sometimes it seems like it.

Phantom said:
Thought Browne did excellently last night, for an inexperienced ruckman.
Afterall, he hasn't even turned 21yo yet. For a 20yo to be a full time senior ruckman is just incredible.

You look at other 20yo ruckmen in other teams and they're playing mostly 2nd ruck roles.

Imagine what Browne will be like at 24yo, when most other ruckmen click?

Yep, his attack on the ball is first rate. His willingness to get involved at ground level is what shocks me.

Also impressed by his handball skills. Very composed. Needs to be played the rest of 2011, body willing.

I am a big fan of Gus Graham but I am super impressed with Andrew Browne and last night he showed us all how much he has developed.

Big heart, good skills and one of my Tiger favourites - for a long time to come I hope.

He was the best Brown(e) at the Gabba last night - and knocked off big Johno a couple of times too.