Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

Barnzy said:
Why? Sometimes you have to look past the stats and see what they actually offer. Browne competed better, was more physical in the contests and not as timid, was more reliable overhead had more intent in ruck contests. Also didn't mistime his leap or focus on the opposition ruckman as much.

On top of that has 35+ less games experience and is over 3 years younger.

We all like to use the stats when it supports our case and dismiss them as irrelevant when they don't. The bombers beat us around the stoppages, beat Browne for taps, taps to advantage, had more centre clearances and I50's. Basically most don't rate Gus and are happy for anyone else to fill his place.

I'm not bagging Browne because he had a big task for such an inexperienced guy and he competed very well but the anti-gus sentiment is rife here.

Big Cat Lover said:
The bombers beat us around the stoppages

Been happening all year.

Big Cat Lover said:
beat Browne for taps

This normally happens when it's 1 recognize ruckman vs 2. Still had 24 hitouts of his own in his 6th game, how many did Graham get in his 6th game?

Big Cat Lover said:
taps to advantage

Where's this stat?

Big Cat Lover said:
had more centre clearances and I50's.

Been happening all year, especially clearances. A kid playing his 6th game is not going to instantly turn that around on his own
Big Cat Lover said:
l but the anti-gus sentiment is rife here.

For good reason. It looks pretty clear to me that Browne has the makings of a better player than Graham. Their output may be similar now but as I said you need to look past stats when assessing kids. For mine Browne is a better contested mark (cruical for a ruckman), has more intent especially in ruck contests and doesn't focus on the opposition ruck rather on the ball and a better football brain.

Barnzy said:
Where's this stat?

Taps to adv stat is in the Age. Browne had 13% taps to adv - that is 3 in 24. Bellchambers had 5 in 25 & Ryder 4 in 18. They had 50 clearances to 28.

There were plenty of anti-gus galsses on last night.

I thought Browne was good for a first up hit out. If Gus had the same output the howls to get rid of him would be deafening. Again I don't think Gus is any world beater but he is being held up to differing standards

Big Cat Lover said:
Taps to adv stat is in the Age. Browne had 13% taps to adv - that is 3 in 24. Bellchambers had 5 in 25 & Ryder 4 in 18. They had 50 clearances to 28.

Doesn't look too bad to me especially considering it was his first game of the year and 6th game of his career. A fair few of the opposition taps would've been against Post as well.

he was great and so hard at it and not afraid to get involved in play - timid is not a word in his vocab, well done young man

Barnzy said:
Doesn't look too bad to me especially considering it was his first game of the year and 6th game of his career. A fair few of the opposition taps would've been against Post as well.

Agree it is not too bad considering the circumstances. But Gus has had better games and been derided.

Big Cat Lover said:
Agree it is not too bad considering the circumstances. But Gus has had better games and been derided.

Statistically Graham has maybe had better games, yeah.

Was so impressed by the big rangas game and especially his heart and courage! Had a massive task! Alot of upside too given his age and experience!

Big Cat Lover said:
Geez I reckon if that was Graham last night there would be plenty bagging his game. Thought Browne competed OK but gave nothing more than Gus would have. Statistically we lost the ruck and the clearances so surprised at the overwhelming raving about Browne - think it's more that so many do not rate Graham one bit.

Its because Browne is non-negotiable in his attack on the ball & his opponent. He is also pro-active in going for it. Gus picks & chooses & is reactive.

That toughness also almost the No 1 thing that a ruckman needs. This from a 20 year old who has far more scope than his predecessor.

Thats why we liked our No 1 rucks game a lot more. (For leysy anyway).

Leysy Days said:
Its because Browne is non-negotiable in his attack on the ball & his opponent. He is also pro-active in going for it. Gus picks & chooses & is reactive.

That toughness also almost the No 1 thing that a ruckman needs. This from a 20 year old who has far more scope than his predecessor.

Thats why we liked our No 1 rucks game a lot more. (For leysy anyway).

Could Browne be too lanky for his height? I'm not sure if a body can straighten up when maturity arrives.

TigerForce said:
Could Browne be too lanky for his height? I'm not sure if a body can straighten up when maturity arrives.

Watching him for the first time last night, he looks like a long term proposition. He's gonna take 5 years to get to his best.
He looks like a young Sandilands. When the ball hit the ground last night, he looked like a Roo dog trying to r**t a cricket ball.

As I said to a mate at the game, Browne was getting far more involved in the game and working much harder than Gus had been. Loved his attack on the contest but was still concerned by his lack of confidence when he got the ball in his hands. His turnover early in the last was really bad. He should of had the presence of mind once no clear and immediate handball options where there to go back and kick long instead of telegraphing a handball and wandering off his line.

Love his endeavour and great gut running, got in good positions through out last nights game, will get better with more games, with Graham's shocking game today against Frankston browne has nothing to fear getting dropped.
needs to improve his vision, but overall very good game B+

I quite like Browne and Gus (indeed all Richmond rucks)  but find it amazing how similar games get judged so different based one which player is doing it.

Ryder has completely in control when he was in the center circle, as he usually is.

The only thing that stopped Ryder killing us in the ruck Bellchambers. Browne was good against him.

zippadeee said:
Love his endeavour and great gut running, got in good positions through out last nights game, will get better with more games, with Graham's shocking game today against Frankston browne has nothing to fear getting dropped.
needs to improve his vision, but overall very good game B+

Gut running? Gut running?
Oh please... :rotfl

My grandmother has "endeavour" too. And she has more speed and better vision than vision.

Browne is playing in the wrong era. Too cumbersome. Moves like a lamp post.
I love how he handballs to a teammate 3 feet away!!! (Benny Gale perfected that)

Browne will be out again in a month.
1 game-bye-1 game...gone.

Scribblar said:
Gut running? Gut running?
Oh please... :rotfl

My grandmother has "endeavour" too. And she has more speed and better vision than vision.

Browne is playing in the wrong era. Too cumbersome. Moves like a lamp post.
I love how he handballs to a teammate 3 feet away!!! (Benny Gale perfected that)

Browne will be out again in a month.
1 game-bye-1 game...gone.

Fair point on the gut running, Big men rarely 'gut run'. But do you think he offered more or less than Graham?

The kid goes as hard as he can which when you are over 200 cm looks a bit unco and stupid as you have these massive limbs flying everywhere but his willingness to throw himself at the foot of the pack and to bend down and work below his knees puts him streets ahead of Gus at the moment.

He needs to work on confidence and awareness but I think that will come with time in the seniors to settle down and realise he is good enough for the grade.

I look forward to seeing him in the next 10 weeks developing into our best number 1 ruck option for the coming years

LeighW said:
Fair point on the gut running, Big men rarely 'gut run'. But do you think he offered more or less than Graham?

The kid goes as hard as he can which when you are over 200 cm looks a bit unco and stupid as you have these massive limbs flying everywhere but his willingness to throw himself at the foot of the pack and to bend down and work below his knees puts him streets ahead of Gus at the moment.

He needs to work on confidence and awareness but I think that will come with time in the seniors to settle down and realise he is good enough for the grade.

I look forward to seeing him in the next 10 weeks developing into our best number 1 ruck option for the coming years

I know he goes hard, but he's slow of body and mind. Papers stamped.
Gus is althetic which you can build on.

In all areas we need standards. The midfield has started to raise their areas bar. Therefore if you don't meet the quality of players there, you shouldn't play there. Now we are applying that to our forwards and backs.
Our Ruck division is poor.

To be honest...I don't care for Browne or Gus. And just waiting for the standard to be lifted again with the introduction of another big man next year. Gold Coast can do it with Zac Smith. So there is always someone around to make us a better team. Andrew Browne is a plodder.

Btw...where's the X-Man?