Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

His speech was uninspiring and cringeworthy to say the least. Has failed to impress at any level this season and the player exodus and commentary from the departing CEO, are further indictments on his overall performance.
He gets another year or two, but gee he has a lot of work to do, truth is he has been bog average to this point in time.

• Dislike
Reactions: 10 users
I am sure many of you are familiar with Psychologist Bruce Tuckman - he originated the "Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing" model, which is designed to help make a new team become effective – faster.

The four stages are:

Forming when people get to know each other and their roles.

Storming when conflict and friction can arise as people's true characters start to emerge and they start to push against boundaries.

Norming where people start to resolve their differences, appreciate one another's strengths, and respect your authority as a leader.

Performing when your team is in flow and performing to its full potential.

Tuckman later added a fifth stage, "adjourning" (also known as "mourning") to mark the end of a team's journey.

The Tigers have gone through this with Hardwick from 2010 to 2023. That is quite a journey. Now we have gone full circle and now in the overlapping phases of 'Mourning" since 2022 - we are deep in and and still happening with some; Forming - the year that was, and still happening; and Storming - most certainly started. We need to give Yze space - it will take time - in the same way Hardwick was given. It is premature to be critical of Yze at this stage - he certainly has the credentials. For Yze to succeed he needs to work out who of the current playing list is on board, and has the desire and the ability. Desire is key here. For him to succeed, in the main, he will be better to clean out the house, as many past players have lost their desire from the past heavy successes, and that Hardwick - their mentor for so long, is gone. Who knows where will end up from all this is anyones guess. We have a real opportunity though with this upcoming draft based on the quality and depth of young players that are being reported to be in the draft and the strong draft hand we are likely to get.

I am excited on the opportunity we have here, and to start so fresh again, so soon after 3 premierships.
Man, excellent post. Yep, Yze has had a tough year. I get the feeling a lot of the senior players were used to Hardwick and McQualter’s style and found it challenging to adapt to a new boss with a different approach. It’s often like that when a new leader takes over after many years; some people don’t like change and decide to move on. The injuries haven’t helped Yze in his first year as coach either. However, he seems to have good footy smarts, and I hope he learns from this very challenging year.

The good news is that during times of failure and challenges, there are also opportunities. We’re losing some good players, but we’ll have access to great draft picks and will bring in some fantastic new talent to the Tigers. We’ll need to be patient while they develop, but it will be a great journey. We’ve bottomed out at the right time, giving us some time to rebuild before the Tassie team enters the competition. Yze will have players who want to be there, not those who couldn’t handle the change. With his coaching assistants, Yze will hopefully learn a lot from this year and develop as a coach. Just like with the Hawks’ coach Mitchell, who is now seen as a super coach despite many question marks during the Hawks’ rebuild over the past few years, things are starting to click.

It’s the start of a new era at Tigerland. Next year will be a challenge; it will take time and we have to be patient. But it will be a great adventure watching our younger players develop and grow.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Or maybe Yze has no idea
Maybe some of the old simply didn't like his ideas.
Now he gets to implement his ideas with the old that accepted his ideas n can teach them to the new without having to drag along the recalcitrant as well. Nothing harder than trying to sail ur boat with the anchor draggin on a reef.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe some of the old simply didn't like his ideas.
Now he gets to implement his ideas with the old that accepted his ideas n can teach them to the new without having to drag along the recalcitrant as well. Nothing harder than trying to sail ur boat with the anchor draggin on a reef.
A slight twist on this. Less that they didn't like his ideas but that they struggled to undo 7 or 8 years of playing one way to playing a new way. At training it was noticeable at times that some could adapt and some that struggled. Shorty struggled early but adapted later. Liam seemed to embrace the change in gameplan.

A good example that I noted. Nick V. seemed to get it. Trained the right way. But would try a "too risky" pass nearly every game creating a turnover and opposition goal. Then the last few games, reduced the risky option, result we get less go forward. It's a fine balance between risk and reward.

I didn’t mind his speech. Thought he started off nervously with lots of “umm”s but got stronger as he went on. I liked that he put all those young boys’ names up too. A strong and clear message to every one of them. Thought it was good.

His speech was uninspiring and cringeworthy to say the least. Has failed to impress at any level this season and the player exodus and commentary from the departing CEO, are further indictments on his overall performance.
He gets another year or two, but gee he has a lot of work to do, truth is he has been bog average to this point in time.
After reading this post I had a look at it expecting something terrible. Yze is not a great public speaker, he needs some work on that, but what he said was fine and the message was very clear. It is all about the young players grabbing their opportunity and about doing it together.

I also thought getting the players to stand up and acknowledge the supporters was a nice touch.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m sensing Yze will be getting heat and a bad rap in the foreseeable future.
Unfortunately for him he’s followed a bloke who was able to garner attention straight off the bat.
2nd year will be interesting on many fronts.

Yze will be fine.
He is not Dimma. Completely different personality.
We need to give him time to develop the list.
His son will be drafted next year. So Yze has been connected and around that age group that we are drafting this year.

Let's not revert to the old ways of sacking coaches too fast....we have already proven that leads to 37 years in the wilderness.

Reactions: 4 users
I totally agree with this view I listen to his speech .................not what I expected .his tone was all off .making jokes about his afl career ............he should have ripped the paint off the walls ........spoke about there is a standard and if you aren't up to it ..players admin coaches support staff medical and rehab staff THEN THE RICHMOND AFL CLUB IS NOT FOR YOU ...........pack your bags now

I totally agree with this view I listen to his speech .................not what I expected .his tone was all off .making jokes about his afl career ............he should have ripped the paint off the walls ........spoke about there is a standard and if you aren't up to it ..players admin coaches support staff medical and rehab staff THEN THE RICHMOND AFL CLUB IS NOT FOR YOU ...........pack your bags now
Yeah, that’s the spirit. Let’s go full blown 70’s and 80’s fire and brimstone. We’ve seen how well that’s worked for us in the past :sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
He may very well do that behind closed doors, but you can’t do it at a public function.

He definitely needs some media training but hopefully from a different crew who trained Samanatha Lane , she is / was terrible as always & being a Tassie girl I do have a soft spot for her (not a hard spot ).

I think we forget Dimma's poor performances in front of the mic.