Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

In the Herald Sun. Very worrying
That seems to fall in line with Gales comments of Yze needing to take more control next year.
Possibly came in trying to be Mr Nice Guy and get all matey with the players and that backfired in a big way.
Will need to be a huge turnaround next year with some tough love but sounds like he may have started off on a very wrong foot and dug a decent hole for himself. Let's see if he can start digging himself out. I can't see it but hoping he does.

Rumours of young players dropping standards? Hmm.

The Yze play this year was to forge relationships with young players so he could come down hard of them in year two. This is what we heard at least.
However some of his pressers this year were pretty soft when we were expecting a harder edge. It never came & tired, repetitive cliches got trotted out as the year unfolded badly. Did he go too far?
Also does make you wonder if the emphasis on youth has been at the expense of some relationship building with the older brigade. This has been an unexpected & unusual exodus of a core of successful mid 20s players..

Unless we’re in the inner sanctum it’s hard to gauge how much of this is true but we only won two games for the year so of course questions get asked. I really doubt this lowly finish was planned. It spiraled out of control.

There’s a lot more to being a good AFL coach than having a brilliant footy brain.
Ooze will get more scrutiny next season & given the departures I doubt things are going to get much easier for him..
Hope he turns it around.
I reckon it's as simple as they can smell a dud and we're going nowhere soon.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
That's going to be a really long couple of years coming for you. Young bodies notoriously don't run out games until they get match hardened. We've kept some senior players with patchy injury histories, so I'd expect we'll see similar things next year.
I expect we'll not get 4 quarter efforts, so we'll see more blow outs. No one likes watching that *smile* but I think it's inevitable with young players. I think we'll need to look for the small wins to start with (part of the reason I think Yze may not see out this rebuild).

What I'd hope for is that we get a clear game plan that we can see week to week moving the ball and in trying to shut opposition teams down, but with fitness of young fellas, I'm not sure we'll last 23 weeks with 4 quarter efforts.

I'm also going to be looking for clear improvements by folks like Brown, Banks, Campbell, Samson etc. Just getting Gibcus and some others on the park reliably will be a win.

The fitness levels these days in the AFL are insane. Some of the distances players run in a game, and that is not running around a track, it is running with people trying to tackle you and short sharp efforts, are extraordinary.

I wonder if it takes longer for young players to get to the fitness levels required now. It is hard to see how 18 year olds, unless they are incredible freaks, can do this. You need to be a little older, maybe 22 or so, to really be able to run out games with the fast pace of the current game.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
The fitness levels these days in the AFL are insane. Some of the distances players run in a game, and that is not running around a track, it is running with people trying to tackle you and short sharp efforts, are extraordinary.

I wonder if it takes longer for young players to get to the fitness levels required now. It is hard to see how 18 year olds, unless they are incredible freaks, can do this. You need to be a little older, maybe 22 or so, to really be able to run out games with the fast pace of the current game.

DS
Plus having the body strength to absorb collisions.

Playing devil’s advocate, maybe Yze provided enough rope to see which players would hang themselves (figuratively speaking obviously). Some have checked out; some not made of the right stuff; some have a future. He certainly has a much clearer idea as to the character of individuals now.

Reactions: 7 users
Playing devil’s advocate, maybe Yze provided enough rope to see which players would hang themselves (figuratively speaking obviously). Some have checked out; some not made of the right stuff; some have a future. He certainly has a much clearer idea as to the character of individuals now.
Could just be a mistake that a lot of first time bosses make. They go too soft to make sure they don't get folks off side/disrupt a workplace culture, or they go too hard trying to establish authority and control.

It was his first year, if that's the only mistake he's made, we're set - provided he has the capacity to learn from it. I'm guessing there's a few more though we don't know about.

Reactions: 5 users
Could just be a mistake that a lot of first time bosses make. They go too soft to make sure they don't get folks off side/disrupt a workplace culture, or they go too hard trying to establish authority and control.

It was his first year, if that's the only mistake he's made, we're set - provided he has the capacity to learn from it. I'm guessing there's a few more though we don't know about.
Correct, everyone makes mistakes. The key to success for any Manager, in football or anywhere else, is the learn from mistakes and get better. The key for his Managers is to support him with feedback and with people around him he can confide in and to help block out the external noise.

Reactions: 3 users
The club had a simple choice - more of the same (McQualter) or introduce new ‘fresh’ ideas (Yze) and they chose the later which I can fully understand.

It’s taken a year, but we are now starting afresh.

Reactions: 3 users
The club had a simple choice - more of the same (McQualter) or introduce new ‘fresh’ ideas (Yze) and they chose the later which I can fully understand.

I'm all for fresh ideas. that’s why I wanted Yze over Mini. But 12 months in, I’m not sure of Yze has any. I hope I am wrong.

In isolation, this Yze issue is relatively minor. Taken in the wider context of the clubs performance and decision making on and off field post 2020, it’s yet another sign that all is not well at Tigerland.

And during that year we had our worst injury list ever. It's way too early to judge Yze yet

Correct, everyone makes mistakes. The key to success for any Manager, in football or anywhere else, is the learn from mistakes and get better. The key for his Managers is to support him with feedback and with people around him he can confide in and to help block out the external noise.
Exactly what Dimma did in 2016. It's all broken record stuff in this thread....

Exactly what Dimma did in 2016. It's all broken record stuff in this thread....
Yze is not coming off three consecutive final appearances, including two 15 win season's, preceded by year on year improvement in the teams win loss record.

The situations are not the same and shouldn’t be compared.

Last edited: