Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

The way I see it Yze needs an older experienced head behind him to help him grow into the role. Possibly the reason he was pushing to get Ratten on board this year. Without that I can't see him growing fast enough to avoid the sack. Needs a huge turnaround on how he approaches his coaching and philosophy. Took a very naive approach this year and almost looked like he was still in assistant coach mode. Which is why he would greatly benefit from a very experienced head that no longer wants a senior gig. Balmey would have been perfect which makes his removal all the more puzzling. Don't think Livingstone is that person.

Reactions: 3 users
I am sure many of you are familiar with Psychologist Bruce Tuckman - he originated the "Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing" model, which is designed to help make a new team become effective – faster.

The four stages are:

Forming when people get to know each other and their roles.

Storming when conflict and friction can arise as people's true characters start to emerge and they start to push against boundaries.

Norming where people start to resolve their differences, appreciate one another's strengths, and respect your authority as a leader.

Performing when your team is in flow and performing to its full potential.

Tuckman later added a fifth stage, "adjourning" (also known as "mourning") to mark the end of a team's journey.

The Tigers have gone through this with Hardwick from 2010 to 2023. That is quite a journey. Now we have gone full circle and now in the overlapping phases of 'Mourning" since 2022 - we are deep in and and still happening with some; Forming - the year that was, and still happening; and Storming - most certainly started. We need to give Yze space - it will take time - in the same way Hardwick was given. It is premature to be critical of Yze at this stage - he certainly has the credentials. For Yze to succeed he needs to work out who of the current playing list is on board, and has the desire and the ability. Desire is key here. For him to succeed, in the main, he will be better to clean out the house, as many past players have lost their desire from the past heavy successes, and that Hardwick - their mentor for so long, is gone. Who knows where will end up from all this is anyones guess. We have a real opportunity though with this upcoming draft based on the quality and depth of young players that are being reported to be in the draft and the strong draft hand we are likely to get.

I am excited on the opportunity we have here, and to start so fresh again, so soon after 3 premierships.

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
I think we went the wrong way. Will be interesting to see how Mcqualter goes who starts off with a worst list than Yze inherited

Reactions: 1 user
I am sure many of you are familiar with Psychologist Bruce Tuckman - he originated the "Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing" model, which is designed to help make a new team become effective – faster.

The four stages are:

Storming when conflict and friction can arise as people's true characters start to emerge and they start to push against boundaries.

Norming where people start to resolve their differences, appreciate one another's strengths, and respect your authority as a leader.

Tuckman later added a fifth stage, "adjourning" (also known as "mourning") to mark the end of a team's journey.

The Tigers have gone through this with Hardwick from 2010 to 2023. That is quite a journey. Now we have gone full circle and now in the overlapping phases of 'Mourning" since 2022 - we are deep in and and still happening with some; Forming - the year that was, and still happening; and Storming - most certainly started. We need to give Yze space - it will take time - in the same way Hardwick was given. It is premature to be critical of Yze at this stage - he certainly has the credentials. For Yze to succeed he needs to work out who of the current playing list is on board, and has the desire and the ability. Desire is key here. For him to succeed, in the main, he will be better to clean out the house, as many past players have lost their desire from the past heavy successes, and that Hardwick - their mentor for so long, is gone. Who knows where will end up from all this is anyones guess. We have a real opportunity though with this upcoming draft based on the quality and depth of young players that are being reported to be in the draft and the strong draft hand we are likely to get.

I am excited on the opportunity we have here, and to start so fresh again, so soon after 3 premierships.
Luke Hodge would have a field day with that. It'd be Formin' Stormin' Normin' & Performin'

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The way I see it Yze needs an older experienced head behind him to help him grow into the role. Possibly the reason he was pushing to get Ratten on board this year. Without that I can't see him growing fast enough to avoid the sack. Needs a huge turnaround on how he approaches his coaching and philosophy. Took a very naive approach this year and almost looked like he was still in assistant coach mode. Which is why he would greatly benefit from a very experienced head that no longer wants a senior gig. Balmey would have been perfect which makes his removal all the more puzzling. Don't think Livingstone is that person.
The need for an older experienced head to help Yze is hard to accept. Yze was an assistant coach at Hawthorn from 2012 to 2020 and Melb 2021-2023 - with a couple of premierships thrown in there to boot. It is hard to fathom he has not developed an experienced base, in two successful clubs, in his own right over those 12 years - he is no green bean who needs hand holding from a mentor. He need to define himself now in his own right, he has a significant platform of learning as a player and assistant coach, and now one year as head coach.

Reactions: 1 users
I really think the club made the wrong decision, but it's not all gloom and doom. Yze has come into a difficult situation with the need to ease out big names before he can really start. It may be that timing gets him or the club understands that and is supportive over time.

So there's three ways to read his approach this year:

1. He believes players have to drive standards, and is building the relationships of the core who he believes will do that.

2. He will personally get tougher over time, as he has better relationships.

3. He is no good.

But in reality, only a small percentage of people have the gravitas to walk into an organisation and upend it.

The need for an older experienced head to help Yze is hard to accept. Yze was an assistant coach at Hawthorn from 2012 to 2020 and Melb 2021-2023 - with a couple of premierships thrown in there to boot. It is hard to fathom he has not developed an experienced base, in two successful clubs, in his own right over those 12 years - he is no green bean who needs hand holding from a mentor. He need to define himself now in his own right, he has a significant platform of learning as a player and assistant coach, and now one year as head coach.
Don't disagree with any of that but senior coach is a whole new beast to being an assistant regardless of how many years you have been in the system.
As I said I don't think he is our next premiership coach as I just don't see him ever having that hard edge to control a group of players and lead the way. Have said it before but I see Yze as our draft picks coach. Will set the team up for the next crack but won't survive to take them there. Of course I hope I'm completely wrong and he is our next dynasty coach but I just don't see it. Yeah Dimma was naive when he began but you could just see he had that hard edge required to get people to follow him.
You can already see Kingsley has it which is why I'm so dirty on Dimma for not leaving the year before allowing us to hold on to Kingsley who was ready made to continue our success

Rumours of young players dropping standards? Hmm.

The Yze play this year was to forge relationships with young players so he could come down hard of them in year two. This is what we heard at least.
However some of his pressers this year were pretty soft when we were expecting a harder edge. It never came & tired, repetitive cliches got trotted out as the year unfolded badly. Did he go too far?
Also does make you wonder if the emphasis on youth has been at the expense of some relationship building with the older brigade. This has been an unexpected & unusual exodus of a core of successful mid 20s players..
Talk of falling standards is a massive concern. Strategic by Benny. Not sure what he is like behind closed doors but always thought the Ooze needed to show a harder edge in his pressers. Dunno if he is capable. We shall see.

The other point here is the role of the senior leadership group. They also need to be in the gun if talk of falling standards is true.

One other thing, if I was the Ooze I'd be making this preseason one of the hardest on record! Forget the 2k time trial.....its a 3k time trial boys!

The four stages are:

Excellent post

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

The four stages are:

Very insightful. Thanks.

Reactions: 2 users
He is starting next year without any baggage.
This year was not his team or his players as seen by the headlines on who is out and who has left already.
He is our coach cuase he is not the same.
Now sit back and enjoy.

Reactions: 4 users