Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

We’re trying to squeeze too many mids into the side and resort to playing them out of position
Needs HF that hit the scoreboard not mids resting there having a break
Yeah part of it is personnel, part of it was the injuries and part of was just trying stuff.
At times we had 27-28 fit players so to get a 23 on the field we were forced to play people out of position. We also haven’t had a goal kicking small forward except Bolton so we have played mids forward. Sonsie is a good example, he is a mid not a forward, he played the role Judson Clarke should have been playing. Ryan comes in as a forward because we had no other options etc.
But I also agree on Ross, midfielder not winger.
Leaving aside the gaps in the list if we had a decent sized squad available we would have played a more balanced team.
The last few weeks when we have been quite competitive most of the time in the contest the priority for recruitment stands out clearly to me.
Quick running midfielders
Goal kicking small forward
Key forward
To me our defence is ok if we can leave Balta there with Gibcus, Vlastuin, Broad,,Brown etc.

Reactions: 12 users

“Referencing the club’s long time former coach Damien Hardwick, Gale suggested Yze’s “excitement and energy” has the club believing they can defy the doubters.”

Did anyone see Yze coach with “excitement or energy” ?

Think Gale got done by a used car salesman.

• Love
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Too many sooks in this thread.
Yup, we've had our crapest year on record. We've probably also carried the highest injury toll in a year ever for RFC.
We've got some players who are obviously a bit mentally soft and are happy to take the wins, but not so happy to work through the losses.
I want more Broads. We never weaken until the final siren's gone.
Not we weaken when it's a little harder and it requires effort.

Yze can't stop people being like that. What he can do is clean em out. Our list has looked tired since 21. The team haven't always wanted to work hard, especially defensively, since then.

Next year, assuming a fitter list, I expect we hold higher standards at selection. I don't expect a lot of wins, particularly with a younger list. That won't be the measure of successful for me - I'll be looking to see a brand of footy that's distinguishable, and a consistent intent to defend.

Reactions: 25 users
Why do players train one position in the VFL, and play a different position in the ones?
100% agree and feel it makes it extremely hard on the players.

Simple answer is an unbalanced list with not enough players in the various positions, then too many in others, I guess. But if sonsie is never going to be played as an AFL mid, then play him half forward in VFL as well. Etc

Reactions: 1 user
adaptive style
By this, do you mean tweaking the gameplan each week depending on the opposition, instead of "play our style, stuff the oppo" of Hardwick? More Terry Wallace style (hopefully not to that extent that the players no longer know what they are supposed to be doing). With the increase in corralling, maybe yze has a tanning bed at home he hasn't mentioned yet?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Too many sooks in this thread.
Yup, we've had our crapest year on record. We've probably also carried the highest injury toll in a year ever for RFC.
We've got some players who are obviously a bit mentally soft and are happy to take the wins, but not so happy to work through the losses.
I want more Broads. We never weaken until the final siren's gone.
Not we weaken when it's a little harder and it requires effort.

Yze can't stop people being like that. What he can do is clean em out. Our list has looked tired since 21. The team haven't always wanted to work hard, especially defensively, since then.

Next year, assuming a fitter list, I expect we hold higher standards at selection. I don't expect a lot of wins, particularly with a younger list. That won't be the measure of successful for me - I'll be looking to see a brand of footy that's distinguishable, and a consistent intent to defend.
If that’s the criteria, then Yze’s gonna need a bloody big broom.

Let's forget win loss for a second.

I have a question.

Why do players train one position in the VFL, and play a different position in the ones?

No wonder so many players have failed to develop, or gone backwards.
Take your point - and I don’t have a direct answer
But I do have a counter question.

Is this practice purely Yze and RFC - or does it occur more generally at other clubs also?

I wonder if Yze was testing player flexibility not only in ability to play a different position but to see what he has to work with re following instructions, footy nous, etc. With the injury dilemma he may have considered this was a good opportunity to find out. This is purely a guess.

I wonder if Yze was testing player flexibility not only in ability to play a different position but to see what he has to work with re following instructions, footy nous, etc. With the injury dilemma he may have considered this was a good opportunity to find out. This is purely a guess.
He actually said it a few times over the last month or so ..” trying some things out”

Reactions: 5 users
We’re trying to squeeze too many mids into the side and resort to playing them out of position
Needs HF that hit the scoreboard not mids resting there having a break
Problem our mids are slow, unskilled or too old.

You guessed right. When injuries started to rise, he spent most of this season just trying things out. Testing players to see how good they'd be.

Said before and say again because seems like people got blinkers on and blame Yze only. Either club makes hard calls and beefs up the footy department or will be back in wilderness. Whoever not on the same page needs to go.

90% of our issues he has inherited
Has been left to the wolves at times this season lack of support for a rookie coach
Footy department and hierarchy need accountability to many poor decisions
Fitness and conditioning what a mess

Reactions: 8 users
Said before and say again because seems like people got blinkers on and blame Yze only. Either club makes hard calls and beefs up the footy department or will be back in wilderness. Whoever not on the same page needs to go.

90% of our issues he has inherited
Has been left to the wolves at times this season lack of support for a rookie coach
Footy department and hierarchy need accountability to many poor decisions
Fitness and conditioning what a mess
I agree , but other problem is the list as it's mostly rubbish.

Reactions: 1 users
Take your point - and I don’t have a direct answer
But I do have a counter question.

Is this practice purely Yze and RFC - or does it occur more generally at other clubs also?
We didn't do it in our successful years. Players would even go back to the reserves to learn their position, get it nailed down, and come back prepared.

I just don't see how we can expect players to perform if they're not training how they play.

I'm sure the brain's trust will be assessing Yze's first season in charge as with everyone else.
2 wins for the season was not part of the plan.
They won't be sacking him but they will run a rule over it as they should.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
We didn't do it in our successful years. Players would even go back to the reserves to learn their position, get it nailed down, and come back prepared.

I just don't see how we can expect players to perform if they're not training how they play.
Maybe?

On the other hand - in our successful years we didn’t have the number of weaknesses in the ones that needed filling - and compared to this year we didn’t have the ongoing injuries
Hence maybe there was less need then to try out blokes in the twos (in different roles) to see whether they might fill a hole in the ones

Basically I don’t see it as a significantly stupid idea to use the twos to train blokes up for whatever purpose in the ones - even if it doesn’t work all the time

I still question whether other clubs do a similar thing - and basically I don’t see it as an Adem Yze “thing”

Dunno!

Reactions: 1 users