Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

TBH it was the worst season i have ever seen from a Richmond side.
Even the 1989 -1993 teams, who were worse players, actually tried harder and were more entertaining to watch.
In 1990 i went to most games, knowing we would get pumped.

It was very uninspiring,

I didnt really care though after what we have had the ladt 8 years.

Reactions: 5 users
Good post. If I could ask Yze one question this year it would be about why he's played so many players out of position in the snrs. That to me has been his biggest failing of the year.

One thing I really loved in 2017 is that we kept talking about playing a system around the players we had. I reckon we've lost that aspect. Yes, it is not possible when the players are not at a level to contend, as is the case now, and when we have so many injuries. But I do find it frustrating that we not only play players out of position, but play them in positions they are ill suited to. As an example, Ross is never going to be a winger, he can play in the centre, but if not in the centre he still should not be on a wing.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
One thing I really loved in 2017 is that we kept talking about playing a system around the players we had. I reckon we've lost that aspect. Yes, it is not possible when the players are not at a level to contend, as is the case now, and when we have so many injuries. But I do find it frustrating that we not only play players out of position, but play them in positions they are ill suited to. As an example, Ross is never going to be a winger, he can play in the centre, but if not in the centre he still should not be on a wing.

DS
It’s a difficult call on Ross as I think he can play wing, but he needs speed in the guts to aide him. We just have too many slow and poorly skilled players atm. I’m not ruling him out of that position atm. We can’t go into games with Ross, Kmac, Tim, Hopper, Graham and Prestia as our major mids or Wings. They just get torched on the rebound and just see the ball walk away from them and our Backline is then in survival mode.

We didn't do it in our successful years. Players would even go back to the reserves to learn their position, get it nailed down, and come back prepared.

I just don't see how we can expect players to perform if they're not training how they play.
You are reaching on this one, biased by a dislike of Yze

The reality is no one here knows the inner workings of the club

There will come a point when he and others are ripe for fair judgement but that point is sometime in 2026

Reactions: 4 users
Why are we talking about 2017?

If anything this is 2009 because Yze doesn’t have his Martin, Cotchin or Riewoldt yet.

This thread is madness. Folks have no concept of time. Three flags have ruined y’all.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Why are we talking about 2017?

If anything this is 2009 because Yze doesn’t have his Martin, Cotchin or Riewoldt yet.

This thread is madness. Folks have no concept of time. Three flags have ruined y’all.
I think we are at 2004 level and ready to go to the draft like in the Lids draft year. This time we are hopefully more better at it with Toce rather Jackson working part time. I’m a Toce man as I think he’s got a wonderful eye for young talent as seeing most of the Saint’s picks he made looking really good. and I’m still happy with Blight and over the moon with Gray for MSD picks. We need to nail three drafts in succession and we will rise faster than people suspect.
Still Adem and the team need to do more than what was witnessed this season. Caracella is the other key man to helping us get back to the top faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
We didn't do it in our successful years.
In our successful years we had star players across every line, great depth, and less injuries.

You may be correct or partially correct, it may be a medium to long term strategy, that may or may not help. Yze might be a dud or a genius. But we don't know yet and won't for a while.

Reactions: 5 users
We didn't do it in our successful years. Players would even go back to the reserves to learn their position, get it nailed down, and come back prepared.

I just don't see how we can expect players to perform if they're not training how they play.
I don't know if that is correct.

If you have a star studded midfield you still need to create depth because players get injured. They aren't going to learn the system and be able to come in and play as a midfielder if you play a young player on a half forward flank in the VFL.

I get the point but I suspect that's what all clubs do however it is not something I have studied tbh.

I don't know if that is correct.

If you have a star studded midfield you still need to create depth because players get injured. They aren't going to learn the system and be able to come in and play as a midfielder if you play a young player on a half forward flank in the VFL.

I get the point but I suspect that's what all clubs do however it is not something I have studied tbh.
It’s madness, Sinners

Comparing what Yze is doing in year zero to what we had up and running in 2017 is really dumb.

In our successful years we had star players across every line, great depth, and less injuries.

You may be correct or partially correct, it may be a medium to long term strategy, that may or may not help. Yze might be a dud or a genius. But we don't know yet and won't for a while.
You are reaching on this one, biased by a dislike of Yze

The reality is no one here knows the inner workings of the club

There will come a point when he and others are ripe for fair judgement but that point is sometime in 2026

It's starting to become really frustrating to discuss things on PRE.

I have never said anything about Yze being a dud. And I don't have a dislike of him. I've not called for his head, nor suggested anything of the like.

It doesn't need to always be an all or nothing discussion. There have been a lot of missteps this year, alongside injury and retirements. The story is not one of, Yze should be fired, or we've done everything perfectly.

I think it's inarguable that we have a large number of players who have stagnated, gone backwards, or failed to develop this year. As someone who goes to pretty much every VFL and AFL game in Melbourne, and someone who educates professionally, I have to say that the way we're bringing our players into the squad is atrocious.

I would never get students to practice and drill a skill on their practice exams, then advise that they use a completely different one on test day. It's madness.

Yeah, you can say we shouldn't be judged on results this year, with good reason. But this is process, not results. As posted, the number of players who have trained one position, and been selected for another is not short.

K. Smith is the most egregious example. I'm still scratching my head over a kid who has smashed it at half back getting the double sub treatment amongst 2 and a half games playing at half forward.

We did something similar with Kane McAuliffe too. Both he and Smith fell away massively, even at VFL level after their AFL introductions. It just seems like awful development.

And if we were really coaching with the intent of not winning too many, why would we not prioritise the development of our kids over putting slotting I'll fitting puzzle pieces into a losing formula anyway?

Like if we had played Smith, Maurice, Ross, Sonsie, Kosi in the positions they played at reserves level, or Balta in the position he trained in over the whole preseason (or any position consistently) would we have had a worse season?

As for what we did in our premiership years, yeah we had better stars and depth. But we also had a flawless system. Bring another soldier in. Players in the 2's know their role and come in and play it. There's no reason you can't still do that.

And you could be creative with it too. Play Short on a wing to make space at half back. Play Taranto at Half forward, which he did at GWS to relative success. These are established players that could deal with a change rather than kids trying to make a start. And again, would we have had a worse season?

BTW Lefau played forward in the VFL.

Came in and played forward at AFL level.

One of Yze's biggest successes this year.

Reactions: 9 users

I have never said anything about Yze being a dud. And I don't have a dislike of him. I've not called for his head, nor suggested anything of the like.

It doesn't need to always be an all or nothing discussion. There have been a lot of missteps this year, alongside injury and retirements. The story is not one of, Yze should be fired, or we've done everything perfectly.

I think it's inarguable that we have a large number of players who have stagnated, gone backwards, or failed to develop this year. As someone who goes to pretty much every VFL and AFL game in Melbourne, and someone who educates professionally, I have to say that the way we're bringing our players into the squad is atrocious.

I would never get students to practice and drill a skill on their practice exams, then advise that they use a completely different one on test day. It's madness.

Yeah, you can say we shouldn't be judged on results this year, with good reason. But this is process, not results. As posted, the number of players who have trained one position, and been selected for another is not short.

K. Smith is the most egregious example. I'm still scratching my head over a kid who has smashed it at half back getting the double sub treatment amongst 2 and a half games playing at half forward.

We did something similar with Kane McAuliffe too. Both he and Smith fell away massively, even at VFL level after their AFL introductions. It just seems like awful development.

And if we were really coaching with the intent of not winning too many, why would we not prioritise the development of our kids over putting slotting I'll fitting puzzle pieces into a losing formula anyway?

Like if we had played Smith, Maurice, Ross, Sonsie, Kosi in the positions they played at reserves level, or Balta in the position he trained in over the whole preseason (or any position consistently) would we have had a worse season?

As for what we did in our premiership years, yeah we had better stars and depth. But we also had a flawless system. Bring another soldier in. Players in the 2's know their role and come in and play it. There's no reason you can't still do that.

And you could be creative with it too. Play Short on a wing to make space at half back. Play Taranto at Half forward, which he did at GWS to relative success. These are established players that could deal with a change rather than kids trying to make a start. And again, would we have had a worse season?

There appeared to be no rhyme or reason with the game plan(s) this season. Players being played out of position was one cause of this.

Is Yze a reactionary coach or is he a planner who coaches off the front foot?

We simply do not know from this season. But reactionary was a big part of this season. IMO!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree it appeared their was no rhyme nor reason but I prefer to believe that Yze was experimenting to see what he has to work with for 2025 and beyond. It's so hard to know, particularly in light of the injuries we had. As many have said already Yze shouldn't be seriously assessed until 2026.

• Love
There appeared to be no rhyme or reason with the game plan(s) this season. Players being played out of position was one cause of this.

Is Yze a reactionary coach or is he a planner who coaches off the front foot?

We simply do not know from this season. But reactionary was a big part of this season. IMO!

You guys need to read the training reports. From those it is clear there is a game plan. The players aren't executing it well yet.

Reactions: 8 users

You say this as if it is chock full of sage wisdom but it is not.

Folks are allowed to tell you how stupid this position is.

Yze and the coaches aren’t in the business of screwing up players’ development in the manner you are describing. It simply wouldn’t be happening at a professional club.

The list is simply terrible. I know you are a sentimentalist and you go to watch a team bust a gut, play to its maximum potential, and hopefully win, but other supporters can see the wider factors in play.

No matter how upset you and a few others get, tacitly apportioning blame on a first year coach for things we have no data on is a pointless exercise.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys need to read the training reports. From those it is clear there is a game plan. The players aren't executing it well yet.

Correct. No one is saying Yze is immune from scrutiny but doing it now is just knee-jerk idiocy.

He has been dealt the worst, most unskilled, laziest, disenfranchised list we’ve had for quite a while.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree it appeared their was no rhyme nor reason but I prefer to believe that Yze was experimenting to see what he has to work with for 2025 and beyond. It's so hard to know, particularly in light of the injuries we had. As many have said already Yze shouldn't be seriously assessed until 2026.
Agree. Nicks in his 5th year still nowhere. Clarko, Longmuir, Wossy.....why do they get extensions and Ooze cops sh!t in 1st year. We should be the supporters expecting the least short term given our 3 flags. Give Ooze until 2027 or 2028 and then start questioning. Dimma took us to finals in 4th season.

• Love
You say this as if it is chock full of sage wisdom but it is not.

Folks are allowed to tell you how stupid this position is.

Yze and the coaches aren’t in the business of screwing up players’ development in the manner you are describing. It simply wouldn’t be happening at a professional club.

The list is simply terrible. I know you are a sentimentalist and you go to watch a team bust a gut, play to its maximum potential, and hopefully win, but other supporters can see the wider factors in play.

No matter how upset you and a few others get, tacitly apportioning blame on a first year coach for things we have no data on is a pointless exercise.

Yes, people can disagree as much as they want. No issue with that.

It just seems that any opinion that doesn't line up with yours is stupid. Or from a peanut. Or idiotic. Or whatever else is your insult of the week designed to demean people.

But, I suppose this is the way you express yourself. I should probably just take a deep breath and move on.

Let's forget win loss for a second.

I have a question.

Why do players train one position in the VFL, and play a different position in the ones?

Ross plays centre, comes in and put on the wing.

Maurice plays centre, comes in and plays half forward.

Kaleb Smith plays half back, comes in and plays half forward.

Kosi plays back for two weeks, gets promoted, plays forward.

Sonsie plays mid, comes in, plays forward.

Samson plays first ruck, comes in plays forward.

I get we have needs and surpluses.

But this is the absolute worst way to develop your team, and players. This isn't even mentioning Balta getting shifted weekly and Bolton playing out of position half the year. Or Baker, who's best role has been at half back, playing mid forward.

No wonder so many players have failed to develop, or gone backwards.
As Sinner said earlier, Some of those have been by necessity.
Ryan plays KPF cos we have no one else, but have Nank in the ruck.
Kosi likewise.
Sonsie isnt ready to play full time mid in the AFL (or maybe good enough) but he had to play.
Smith hasnt had the best run, but i think a couple of times he was literally the 23rd picked. His form was good but we didnt have a spot for him in the back 7. Granted we could have shifted one of the experienced backs, but they decided not too.
Saturday felt like we picked the 23 left after we picked our VFL finals team- Banks played back because we didnt have 7 other defenders- then KMac went back when Pickett came on.
Likewise Ross on the wing- I think he can play there- he has played his most consistent AFL football on the wing- but there wasnt a spot for him in the centre this week, but they wanted to give him a game.

I havent liked Balta's treatment this year- but i can understand him being shifted when we at times had most of our key position players in the sidelines.

And Baker is a goal a week/20 disposal half forward who can go through the midfield. I know some like him down back more, but i can see why multiple coaches have played him forward.

Anyway thankfully this season is over and we can start looking forward to all the new toys Yze will have to play with in 2025.

Reactions: 2 users
TBH it was the worst season i have ever seen from a Richmond side.
Even the 1989 -1993 teams, who were worse players, actually tried harder and were more entertaining to watch.
In 1990 i went to most games, knowing we would get pumped.

It was very uninspiring,

I didnt really care though after what we have had the ladt 8 years.
That's how I feel. Emotionally checked out after about round 8, the success we've had made it much easier and the flags make this year slightly more bearable.

But, it didn't feel like the Richmond we love. It didn't seem to be anything like we are used to. Nothing more could've gone wrong for Yze but towards the end of this year he seemed a bystander. And the rumblings of internal unrest grow louder and louder. Our young core all deciding to leave (Bolton, Rioli, Graham and Baker) does give credence to the unhappiness.

You can't blame Yze for this yer entirely but boy it's a big year in 2025. Need to see vast improvement. First time since 1962 we haven't scored over 100 points, that can't go on.

• Love