Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

if you watch the melb vs pies game you can see we are using a very similar game plan to melb.
problem is if you lose the ball you are screwed.
pies just chipped the ball through the middle with ease against melb.
Once melb lost the ball the pies ran the ball forward. no defensive pressure from melb.

As Sinner said earlier, Some of those have been by necessity.
Ryan plays KPF cos we have no one else, but have Nank in the ruck.
Kosi likewise.
Sonsie isnt ready to play full time mid in the AFL (or maybe good enough) but he had to play.
Smith hasnt had the best run, but i think a couple of times he was literally the 23rd picked. His form was good but we didnt have a spot for him in the back 7. Granted we could have shifted one of the experienced backs, but they decided not too.
Saturday felt like we picked the 23 left after we picked our VFL finals team- Banks played back because we didnt have 7 other defenders- then KMac went back when Pickett came on.
Likewise Ross on the wing- I think he can play there- he has played his most consistent AFL football on the wing- but there wasnt a spot for him in the centre this week, but they wanted to give him a game.

I havent liked Balta's treatment this year- but i can understand him being shifted when we at times had most of our key position players in the sidelines.

And Baker is a goal a week/20 disposal half forward who can go through the midfield. I know some like him down back more, but i can see why multiple coaches have played him forward.

Anyway thankfully this season is over and we can start looking forward to all the new toys Yze will have to play with in 2025.

Yeah, you could probably make an argument for these things on a case by case basis, but two things I'd suggest.

They only make sense if you're prioritising performance over development. And that only makes sense if you get a performance of any value.

And that, taken as a whole, this is a theme but a series of one offs.

Yeah, you could probably make an argument for these things on a case by case basis, but two things I'd suggest.

They only make sense if you're prioritising performance over development. And that only makes sense if you get a performance of any value.

And that, taken as a whole, this is a theme but a series of one offs.
I get what your saying, and i agree that results probably havent mattered too much since about rd 8 (?) or so. But there is also a "limit" to how bad a clubs can allow itself to be, and a need for some sort of structure within the team.
Shifting Balta for example back forward for a week or 2 was far from ideal, but the other option at times was to have no tall forward to kick to. Better for Balta, but not better for any defender or mid who has the ball in their hand.
Likewise playing Ryan. His future is as a ruck. But while Nank is fit he either plays VFL or has the occasional run up forward in the AFL. And again at times weve had the choice to play him or not have a tall forward.

So sometimes a move might be made that doesnt suit the development of one individual but is good for the development of the team as a whole.

And again injuries have thrown a lot of this planning out the window. When we went a couple of months with about 28 players to choose from it meant sometimes we couldnt do what we wanted.

Hopefully in 2025 we will see players more settled.

Reactions: 5 users
It's starting to become really frustrating to discuss things on PRE.

I have never said anything about Yze being a dud. And I don't have a dislike of him. I've not called for his head, nor suggested anything of the like.

It doesn't need to always be an all or nothing discussion. There have been a lot of missteps this year, alongside injury and retirements. The story is not one of, Yze should be fired, or we've done everything perfectly.

I think it's inarguable that we have a large number of players who have stagnated, gone backwards, or failed to develop this year. As someone who goes to pretty much every VFL and AFL game in Melbourne, and someone who educates professionally, I have to say that the way we're bringing our players into the squad is atrocious.

I would never get students to practice and drill a skill on their practice exams, then advise that they use a completely different one on test day. It's madness.

Yeah, you can say we shouldn't be judged on results this year, with good reason. But this is process, not results. As posted, the number of players who have trained one position, and been selected for another is not short.

K. Smith is the most egregious example. I'm still scratching my head over a kid who has smashed it at half back getting the double sub treatment amongst 2 and a half games playing at half forward.

We did something similar with Kane McAuliffe too. Both he and Smith fell away massively, even at VFL level after their AFL introductions. It just seems like awful development.

And if we were really coaching with the intent of not winning too many, why would we not prioritise the development of our kids over putting slotting I'll fitting puzzle pieces into a losing formula anyway?

Like if we had played Smith, Maurice, Ross, Sonsie, Kosi in the positions they played at reserves level, or Balta in the position he trained in over the whole preseason (or any position consistently) would we have had a worse season?

As for what we did in our premiership years, yeah we had better stars and depth. But we also had a flawless system. Bring another soldier in. Players in the 2's know their role and come in and play it. There's no reason you can't still do that.

And you could be creative with it too. Play Short on a wing to make space at half back. Play Taranto at Half forward, which he did at GWS to relative success. These are established players that could deal with a change rather than kids trying to make a start. And again, would we have had a worse season?

BTW Lefau played forward in the VFL.

Came in and played forward at AFL level.

One of Yze's biggest successes this year.
Don't put me on the Carter Burgermeister! There was no piledriver in my post, just some context I think is critical, and I actually said, sincerely, you may be correct.

Carter goes the piledriver dismissal. I've learnt to live with it, mostly by strategic ignoring, but yes as I've said a few times over the years, it can be irritating.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't really find much fault in Yze.

hes done a really *smile* job, pretty well I reckon.

games for kids, No.1 pick, no champs shopped around (yet).

bit of a silk fist in an iron glove approach?

hes probably got the toughest gig in footy, following a dynastical sausage cook Messiah and inherited the nothing part of an all-or-nothing list Hail Mary, that got brutalised by injury.

we probably beat the ultimate Premier?

Yeah, him and Blair and Tocey and Dunney will have some clear air and good young talent to get to work the next few years

Reactions: 12 users

hes probably got the toughest gig in footy, following a dynastical sausage cook Messiah and inherited the nothing part of an all-or-nothing list Hail Mary, that got brutalised by injury.

Yeah, him and Blair and Tocey and Dunney will have some clear air and good young talent to get to work the next few years

He probably couldn't have done much better than where we ended up.

But given the two wins, the 63% and the potential loss of... 7? Premiership players through retirement, and requests for trade, what would a worse outcome have looked like?

Hmmm. Probably 8 wins and a 6 year contract for Thomson Dow.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

I think Yze will appreciate some clear air even more than five burly, strapping, supremely-skilled midfielders.

He really did walk into another man’s squad.

Reactions: 3 users

But given the two wins, the 63% and the potential loss of... 7? Premiership players through retirement, and requests for trade, what would a worse outcome have looked like?

yeah, I get it,

but if we are going to blame the trades on Yze,

we are also going to have to blame our draft haul on him.

he is making very very tough, decisive, decisions,

quite tenderly.

I imagine he outlined it all in the interview.

super tough gig.

I think Yze will appreciate some clear air even more than five burly, strapping, supremely-skilled midfielders.

He really did walk into another man’s squad.

yep he would have felt like the bloke with a hot new GF,

and hes at a party with 3 big, fit, good looking, charming ex BF's, all getting along famously

• Haha
yeah, I get it,

but if we are going to blame the trades on Yze,

we are also going to have to blame our draft haul on him.

he is making very very tough, decisive, decisions,

quite tenderly.

I imagine he outlined it all in the interview.

super tough gig.
The draft haul worries me too.

...was it Yze's decision to bring over Koschitzke?

The draft haul worries me too.

fear not brother.

if some kind of footy armegedon does comes to pass,

you might as well dream of piñata's full of little cherry ripes and flakes while you're waiting

Reactions: 1 user

But Yze doesn’t need to be part of the narrative of the year. I’m not sure why folks are at pains to make him so.

In many ways circumstances rended him little more than a caretaker.

The critical event that needed to occur this year has occurred.

That is, the club truly realised where it was at.

The genesis of a rebuild does not begin with Yze. It begins with Dunne, Hartley and in a couple of months the recruiting team.

Yze has the task of educating / maximising the many young men about to enter through his door. Let’s see how he goes.

Reactions: 5 users
But Yze doesn’t need to be part of the narrative of the year. I’m not sure why folks are at pains to make him so.

Probably because he was head coach for an off season and season.

But, as before, I understand your point. IMO a year is enough time for commentary, but not for a decision.

Probably because he was head coach for an off season and season.

But, as before, I understand your point. IMO a year is enough time for commentary, but not for a decision.
The glib part serves little purpose.

As for the rest, normally a year certainly is enough.

But Yze effectively coached the last year of Hardwick’s era for him.

Only now the club is clear on what is required regarding the list, twelve months on from Yze’s appointment.

This off-season is where Yze gets to build and not merely avoid the eggshells.

You guys need to read the training reports. From those it is clear there is a game plan. The players aren't executing it well yet.
I have no doubt we are kicking through the corridor more than we were but the problem is we seem to get spooked when we make a mistake.
There was one on saturday that resulted in a suns goal. My view was i would rather we tried and failed than kicked it down the line because the idea was right but just poorly executed.
I hope we train to be bold in the off season

Reactions: 4 users

In many ways circumstances rended him little more than a caretaker.

The critical event that needed to occur this year has occurred.

That is, the club truly realised where it was at.

The genesis of a rebuild does not begin with Yze. It begins with Dunne, Hartley and in a couple of months the recruiting team.

Yze has the task of educating / maximising the many young men about to enter through his door. Let’s see how he goes.

JR was commentating Saturday and Kingy made reference to

'a rebuild of sorts'

and Jack instantly countered:

'theres no of sorts'

Yze has reefed the mainsail and has helmed us up to face a storm , with a handkerchief of headsail out to keep her steady.

Its gonna be very rough.

But I reckon 3-4 years and he'll order 'Capt.jagga, get that spinnaker bulging son, double time'

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
JR was commentating Saturday and Kingy made reference to

'a rebuild of sorts'

and Jack instantly countered:

'theres no of sorts'

Yze has reefed the mainsail and has helmed us up to face a storm , with a handkerchief of headsail out to keep her steady.

Its gonna be very rough.

But I reckon 3-4 years and he'll have a bulging spinnaker out
Agreed but not many clubs get to pop the nitro-boost like Mad Max in the interceptor on a rebuild.

eight first rounders is a brutal start

• Love
Agreed but not many clubs get to pop the nitro-boost like Mad Max in the interceptor when we collect eight first rounders.

*smile* yeah.

you early adopted the concept.

but im late-adopting the *smile* out of it

Stop talking so much sense!
I completely agree haha.

Kane Cornhole keeps talking about how soft he is like he would have any idea about people management skills when he just tells everybody where to go.

Option a/ Yell at them for not being good enough. Appear tough. They feel scared to let you down and make more mistakes. Hope they get better and then try and then try forge a relationship and hope they accept you.
Option b/ Forge genuine connection built on empathy for how hard the game is and knowing their traits and families inherently and understanding their strengths so they feel empowered and less inclined to let you down. You appear soft initially to idiots like Corn but gather social credit within group and earn the ability to lay some tough love later that actually hits home when necessary down the track once the team knows where you stand with them.

Seems pretty obvious from a psychological stand point to me.

Its worth mentioning that the game Yze seems to be playing is not a quick fix strategy, which lots of people appear to want. I for one think there isnt a quick fix. And even if we aspire to be a competitive team year in and out like Geelong, he needs to build the culture that facilitates that himself, not work within the one he has inherited.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users