2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

Breakdancing as a ‘sport’ in the Olympics. FMD!!!
Maybe I should have taken brandy, downball, foursquare, British bulldog and even kiss chasey more seriously in school. They might be up as events in future games
Just emailed my resume to the Australian Sports Commission for when they are setting up their Hide & Seek high performance programme in preparation for Brisbane 2032. I reckon I can coach that.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Anne DeMeeres ,mission chef, really cheapens the term misogyny in her Raygun defence I reckon.

Im still not ruling out a very elaborate hoax.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, the double on 10 cost Green, she finished on 6 under, the silver medal was 8 under.

Lydia Ko is very very slow, she's in the last group, they're on 17, there's no one else on the course. She needs a par on the last for Gold.
Not a fan of Lydia Ko. Slow Ko. Had about 12 or 13 caddies over the journey too.

Reactions: 1 user
Anne DeMeeres ,mission chef, really cheapens the term misogyny in her Raygun defence I reckon.

Im still not ruling out a very elaborate hoax.
Totally agree.
Her line also that she's the best break dancer we have in Australia is hard to believe. Australia should have sat this one out if that is really the case!

Totally agree.
Her line also that she's the best break dancer we have in Australia is hard to believe. Australia should have sat this one out if that is really the case!
That press conference was as bizarre as the performance itself. Really clutching at straws.

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently she can actually breakdance. It seems to have been an elaborate joke, or making some point about the decolonisation of breaking. This is a subject about which Dr Gunn has written several papers (zero citations) and this performance aligns with the point she what’s made in her research.

The Australian breaking scene and the Olympic Games: the possibilities and politics of sportification​

We argue that breaking’s institutionalization via the Olympics will place breaking more firmly within this sporting nation’s hegemonic settler-colonial structures that rely upon racialized and gendered hierarchies. As such, in this article we discuss and examine how the Olympics impacts ongoing local, social and cultural productions and expressions of hip hop, and the distinct possibilities of breaking that enable its participants to ‘show and prove’ outside standardized, institutionalized rubrics.

• Wow
  • Haha
Just catching up with the action. Unfuckingreal run by Jess. Only a legend beat her.

Brilliant 800 men's final, and Ingebrigtsen was magnificent in the 5000.

This would have been the pick of the nights to attend for me.

Apparently she can actually breakdance. It seems to have been an elaborate joke, or making some point about the decolonisation of breaking. This is a subject about which Dr Gunn has written several papers (zero citations) and this performance aligns with the point she what’s made in her research.

The Australian breaking scene and the Olympic Games: the possibilities and politics of sportification​

We argue that breaking’s institutionalization via the Olympics will place breaking more firmly within this sporting nation’s hegemonic settler-colonial structures that rely upon racialized and gendered hierarchies. As such, in this article we discuss and examine how the Olympics impacts ongoing local, social and cultural productions and expressions of hip hop, and the distinct possibilities of breaking that enable its participants to ‘show and prove’ outside standardized, institutionalized rubrics.

It reads like as an academic,

she makes a great Bgirl.

She deserves all the ridicule she gets. Cheapening the Olympics for a self-indulgent ego trip.

Reactions: 4 users

Never understood a single word she said, but I helped her drink her wine. And she always had some mighty fine wine.

FMD. Old farts glad he dropped out of year 10 way back a lifetime ago. Tried several times to read that paragraph n all it did was make my brain hurt lots. *smile* educated intellectuals always gotta talk in windy gibberish just to show the plebs how much smarter than everyone else they think they are.

Never understood a single word she said, but I helped her drink her wine. And she always had some mighty fine wine.

FMD. Old farts glad he dropped out of year 10 way back a lifetime ago. Tried several times to read that paragraph n all it did was make my brain hurt lots. *smile* educated intellectuals always gotta talk in windy gibberish just to show the plebs how much smarter than everyone else they think they are.
Loved that song!

Just catching up with the action. Unfuckingreal run by Jess. Only a legend beat her.

Brilliant 800 men's final, and Ingebrigtsen was magnificent in the 5000.

This would have been the pick of the nights to attend for me.
I called the men’s 800m wrong. Albeit. It took near world record pace to dampen the impact of Djamel Sedjati’s final kick. And I think he made some big tactical errors. Was still full of running, but left himself too much to do.

And Jess Hull, brilliant job fighting off the other fast finishers. Like I said in a previous post. The margins between these athletes generally are very slim. One slight stutter step, or slight tactical error for a split second at a crucial time can be the difference between podium or 4th-6th.

Agree. Brilliant night on the track. Women’s 4x100 I was actually screaming for the GBR team. They’ve done a great job focus’s on their relay programme. Should have won that. But *smile* up their last change. Everyone banging on about Richardson’s anchor leg for the US. But the British anchor runner I reckon actually ran a fair bit quicker than her after a really crappy change.

Something that snuck up on me. World Aths Champs are in Tokyo next year. Relatively accessible from Australia. Toying with idea of attending to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Something that snuck up on me. World Aths Champs are in Tokyo next year. Relatively accessible from Australia. Toying with idea of attending to watch.

With the recent Nankai Trough earthquake alerts, there might not be a Tokyo next year

With the recent Nankai Trough earthquake alerts, there might not be a Tokyo next year
Yes. Plenty of action occurring on the north western reaches of the Pacific ring of fire at present. At some stage the opposite side will receive a massive one too. Could be San Andreas turning LA or San Francisco into a past tense (topical with AL to host the 2028 games). Albeit, the Cascadia subduction zone off the Pacific Northwest of the US is the sleeping giant capable of much larger destruction.

Yep, bigots like Trump and Rowling spread lies and some people lap it up.
(I have a BSc with honours in Genetics - a bit rusty, I admit.)

They are right here. Khelif presents very much as XY with a particular DSD (disorder of sexual development). Briefly, that means she has male chromosomes (XY), but a defect in the SRY (sex-determining region of the Y) gene. Embryos are male until the SRY of those with a Y kicks in in early development. They then develop as males, with typical male internal and external features, under the influence of male hormones (principally testosterone).

If the SRY gene is faulty, the *smile* may not develop properly, so at birth the child may seem to have parts that could be either male or female. Here, the doctors have gone with female. Her birth certificate says that and her parents have raised her as a girl. No issue up to puberty - hence the photos of a pretty girl with pigtails and earrings - but then her testes started producing testosterone and male physiology developed.

Ideally, we’d have seen the test results (NB - two independent labs), but statements from the IBA, Khelif’s coach and the IOC itself (the correction to their statement that it wasn’t a DSD), as well as her history and presentation, all point to XY with a DSD.

In the West, nowadays this is identified at birth and kids are raised carefully until they can decide. (I understand we often used to remove the vestigial *smile* and raise them as girls, as that seemed the best for the child - but that just delayed the dysmorphia.) In Algeria, particularly in a rural area, it seems they’ve just believed she’s a very masculine girl.

The definitive test should be presence of a Y chromosome - easy to test and clear. Yes, there’ll be the occasional woman where SRY has transposed onto an X, but I’d say that’s like Phelps’ wingspan and Bolt’s fast-twitch muscles - luck of the draw sports-wise; no Y, she’s female. There’ll also be the occasional XY with a completely non-functional SRY, who’ll present as female - but they’ll likely never excel at sports so may never be challenged (or impact on women’s results).

The IBA may be Russian-led and corrupt, but that’s irrelevant. Biological sex is particularly important in boxing, given the differences in strength and reach. I’m completely nonplussed by the IOC’s response here - they’ve dug in to an indefensible position, perhaps out of a war with the IBA, perhaps an over enthusiasm for inclusion - and have seriously damaged their credibility. Perhaps they hoped both boxers would be defeated early on, but the results were inevitable.

This has been a debacle, for the other contestants and for the two boxers themselves who have become footballs and may honestly believe they are female. The IOC could have clearly, firmly managed this, on a science and evidence basis, but we will now see increased incidence. Looks like they’re trying to handball it to a new boxing body. I imagine that body, like the IBA, will ban the two boxers, but the damage has been done.

tl;dr: Passports? Pigtails? No - walks, talks and quacks like a man. And XY.

And, as a woman, I say JKR is a hero in this area. Could’ve sat back and enjoyed her billions, but continually puts her head above the parapet and cops abuse for articulate, logical and generally compassionate posts. Easy for men - whose spaces and medals are not under threat - to take the more fashionable view.

(I have a BSc with honours in Genetics - a bit rusty, I admit.)

They are right here. Khelif presents very much as XY with a particular DSD (disorder of sexual development). Briefly, that means she has male chromosomes (XY), but a defect in the SRY (sex-determining region of the Y) gene. Embryos are male until the SRY of those with a Y kicks in in early development. They then develop as males, with typical male internal and external features, under the influence of male hormones (principally testosterone).

If the SRY gene is faulty, the *smile* may not develop properly, so at birth the child may seem to have parts that could be either male or female. Here, the doctors have gone with female. Her birth certificate says that and her parents have raised her as a girl. No issue up to puberty - hence the photos of a pretty girl with pigtails and earrings - but then her testes started producing testosterone and male physiology developed.

Ideally, we’d have seen the test results (NB - two independent labs), but statements from the IBA, Khelif’s coach and the IOC itself (the correction to their statement that it wasn’t a DSD), as well as her history and presentation, all point to XY with a DSD.

In the West, nowadays this is identified at birth and kids are raised carefully until they can decide. (I understand we often used to remove the vestigial *smile* and raise them as girls, as that seemed the best for the child - but that just delayed the dysmorphia.) In Algeria, particularly in a rural area, it seems they’ve just believed she’s a very masculine girl.

The definitive test should be presence of a Y chromosome - easy to test and clear. Yes, there’ll be the occasional woman where SRY has transposed onto an X, but I’d say that’s like Phelps’ wingspan and Bolt’s fast-twitch muscles - luck of the draw sports-wise; no Y, she’s female. There’ll also be the occasional XY with a completely non-functional SRY, who’ll present as female - but they’ll likely never excel at sports so may never be challenged (or impact on women’s results).

The IBA may be Russian-led and corrupt, but that’s irrelevant. Biological sex is particularly important in boxing, given the differences in strength and reach. I’m completely nonplussed by the IOC’s response here - they’ve dug in to an indefensible position, perhaps out of a war with the IBA, perhaps an over enthusiasm for inclusion - and have seriously damaged their credibility. Perhaps they hoped both boxers would be defeated early on, but the results were inevitable.

This has been a debacle, for the other contestants and for the two boxers themselves who have become footballs and may honestly believe they are female. The IOC could have clearly, firmly managed this, on a science and evidence basis, but we will now see increased incidence. Looks like they’re trying to handball it to a new boxing body. I imagine that body, like the IBA, will ban the two boxers, but the damage has been done.

tl;dr: Passports? Pigtails? No - walks, talks and quacks like a man. And XY.

And, as a woman, I say JKR is a hero in this area. Could’ve sat back and enjoyed her billions, but continually puts her head above the parapet and cops abuse for articulate, logical and generally compassionate posts. Easy for men - whose spaces and medals are not under threat - to take the more fashionable view.
They are apreading lies because they are saying she is transgender. She is not.
For years we have been hearing how *smile* equals boy, vagina equals girl. Now the story has changed.