2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

Tony Jones to Jess Hull after her race didn't ask her one question about the race itself. Instead it was

"How many selfies have you taken ?" and "did you see Mick Jagger in the crowd ?"

Ffs. 9 should be embarrassed by the cringeworthy unprofessionals they threw up, but they won't be.
Tony Jones' enduring career is a mystery.

Reactions: 1 users
Brisvegas though..
Strange bid process. Well not even really a bid process as such.

Seemed more like a lukewarm expressions of interest process. And Brisbane was the warmest of the very lukewarm expressions of interest to come forward. The only ones that kind of wanted it.

The idea originally seemed to be a bit like LA. It wasn’t to be a Brisbane Olympics as such. More a greater SE QLD Olympics with limited need for new infrastructure or venues. White water kayaking and rowing were actually going to be held at Sydney’s 2000 venue, away from QLD in the original plan - going with the minimal spend credentials the IOC is now pushing.

But the amount of back flipping and flip flopping on what form the Brisbane games are going to take. Who would *smile* know. I don’t think they even do. Seems a bit directionless.

The timing is strange too. Middle of winter, when days are the shortest. Cannot understand why they don’t push for a similar arrangement to Sydney 2000. A spring time games to line up with Sept-Oct school holidays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I thought Paris held a magnificent Olympics and the inclusion of sports like skateboarding and BMX may be helping to capture the attention of younger people. In retrospect, I wish I had subscribed to Stan instead of enduring channel 9 for 2 weeks straight. Goodness me they have some irritating hosts and SO many ads on repeat.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought Paris held a magnificent Olympics and the inclusion of sports like skateboarding and BMX may be helping to capture the attention of younger people. In retrospect, I wish I had subscribed to Stan instead of enduring channel 9 for 2 weeks straight. Goodness me they have some irritating hosts and SO many ads on repeat.
We mostly watched things on 9Now. International feeds, so better commentary and no ads.

Reactions: 1 users
Ally Langton the worst of them, so cringy. Stick to your rubbish A Current Affair. I had to mute her in the end, couldn’t stand listening to her voice

Ally Langton the worst of them, so cringy. Stick to your rubbish A Current Affair
Totally 'throw up' rubbish from her every single day. Didn't know anything about any of the sports and just jibbered sycophantic, saccharin laced rubbish the entire 2 weeks.

Reactions: 2 users

Interesting article on how LA is intending on installing a temporary athletics track at the Coliseum. In the 40 years since LA 1984, the playing arena has been altered that it no longer has large enough dimensions to fit an athletics track.

Same technique used to temporarily convert Glasgow’s Hamden Park into an athletics stadium for 2014 Commonwealth Games.

If this technique was in use for Melbourne 2006 it would have made the MCG temporary conversion easier than it was. Certainly opens up more possibilities for the likes of, Optus in Perth, Adelaide Oval, the MCG, Docklands et al.

Have been murmurs that Perth has considered bidding for world athletics championships.

Last edited:
Well done to the Kiwi's, 10 gold medals for a country with a population of 5million is a damn fine effort.

Reactions: 6 users
Strange bid process. Well not even really a bid process as such.

Seemed more like a lukewarm expressions of interest process. And Brisbane was the warmest of the very lukewarm expressions of interest to come forward. The only ones that kind of wanted it.

The olympics are too expensive now. And getting worse with new inclusions. At some point it will just become a rotation of huge cities that can afford it. Or make Athens its permanent home.

The olympics are too expensive now. And getting worse with new inclusions. At some point it will just become a rotation of huge cities that can afford it. Or make Athens its permanent home.
Like I said earlier. There were articles written this week about a permanent home. Los Angeles was even discussed in that same context, as it requires no new venues. Not even an Olympic Village.

A point I keep making. As opposed to a permanent home. A country hosting (instead of a city) might be another way around the problem.

I was reading that Switzerland (not a city, the entire country of Switzerland) is putting in a bid for the winter games, which requires no building of anything that doesn’t already exist. The IOC appears quite encouraging of such a concept.

Australia as a country could easily host an Olympic Games without building anything and share events with regions/cities that have actual legacy in a particular sport. A good portion of countries around the world could achieve similar, without unnecessary construction of venues that don’t exist.

Reactions: 3 users
Seen there's an article in the Hun that Glasgow will be hosting our abandoned Comm games on the el cheapo n that we'll be paying for most of it from our penalty payment.

Seen there's an article in the Hun that Glasgow will be hosting our abandoned Comm games on the el cheapo n that we'll be paying for most of it from our penalty payment.
Yeah. London was looking like the default stepping into the void. Easily could have accommodated with zero infrastructure requirements. But Glasgow came in at the last moment.

As you say, minimalist games with no new venues. Albeit Hamden Park will require an athletics conversion again, which takes some work beyond what London’s Olympic stadium would have required.

If the VIC govt hadn’t been so pig headed from the beginning insisting on a regional Victorian games, Melbourne could have accommodated a similar minimalist games with no construction required.

That said. I reckon the Comm games are just about done. Individual sports need to be preparing for that, and discussing with their individual sporting bodies, the possibility of joining Asian confederations in their sport, as an outlet to second tier international competition. Similar to what FFA did. And at a higher level, the ASC perhaps looking at the possibility of joining the Asian games.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier. There were articles written this week about a permanent home. Los Angeles was even discussed in that same context, as it requires no new venues. Not even an Olympic Village.

A point I keep making. As opposed to a permanent home. A country hosting (instead of a city) might be another way around the problem.

I was reading that Switzerland (not a city, the entire country of Switzerland) is putting in a bid for the winter games, which requires no building of anything that doesn’t already exist. The IOC appears quite encouraging of such a concept.

Australia as a country could easily host an Olympic Games without building anything and share events with regions/cities that have actual legacy in a particular sport. A good portion of countries around the world could achieve similar, without unnecessary construction of venues that don’t exist.
I agree minimalist games are good, but i think they need to be wary of spreading the games to wide, otherwise they risk becoming a bunch of different competitions that happen to be at the same time. i think part of the appeal of the games is the atmosphere they generate in the city that hosts them.
Sports like Football and Basketball can get away with spreading group games because enough people are interested anyway, but small sports will get lost.

Did the Olympic Surfing even happen?

I agree minimalist games are good, but i think they need to be wary of spreading the games to wide, otherwise they risk becoming a bunch of different competitions that happen to be at the same time. i think part of the appeal of the games is the atmosphere they generate in the city that hosts them.
Sports like Football and Basketball can get away with spreading group games because enough people are interested anyway, but small sports will get lost.

Did the Olympic Surfing even happen?
Or is it that we have got so used to a certain model that we can’t reimagine it in some other format. Would be different for sure. But not necessarily inferior.

World Cup soccer works really well with multiple host cities joining in the festivities and carnival atmosphere, spreading the mood around the entire country.

Admittedly, Geographically smaller countries would have the edge here. Particularly those with really good interconnections between cities-towns-regions. Imagine a shared Netherlands/Belgium hosted Olympics for example in this format.

World Cup soccer works really well with multiple host cities joining in the festivities and carnival atmosphere, spreading the mood around the entire country
That works because every city hosting gets what they want- World Cup football.
If a city hosts the equestrian and boxing would anyone actually care?
I mentioned the surfing before, i havent seen a single reference to it anywhere- nothing on TV, no highlights. I did check and it happened, but removing it from the other events has removed it from the public eye.