2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

Re: Raygun

a major deal with the break dancers was passports. you know those things that you need to travel with.
so the majority of the 'contestants' for the Australian spot didn't or hadn't held one. it cut the field.
a B-Girl who has won most of Australian break comps doesn't have citizenship, which you need to get into qualifying rounds.
ie: a passport, which is $400. many people cannot afford one, partly because they can't afford to travel.
47% of Australians don't hold a valid passport.
so it becomes about privilege. like most of the athletes on display at the games, not just break-dance, not just Australians.
the majority of Olympians are from privileged backgrounds, private schools, money and support.

So Raygun gets a go. the street kids don't. the privileged scholar does. she blows it, but there's a system that enabled it...

so guess what system - Dance Sport Australia get the gig to run the break-dance qualifiers but they know nothing about
this dance form. So they contact Raygun who has a PHD in break dancing. She said, "partner with the Australian Breaking Association and they'll run it for you".
This association was founded by Raygun and her husband and has 20 members. They get 15 entrants into the qualifier - those with passports - and Raygun is selected and her husband is selected as the team coach.

far out huh? ....dodgy Raygun!

she actually as an academic has some interesting things to say about break-dancing, it's cultural appropriation and
the institutionalisation of it. it didn't translate in her 'skillz' but she put a few purists noses out of joint and that's never a bad thing....whatever the scene...
If you didn’t have a passport and there was a 1% chance you would win a medal a passport could be arranged quicker than a break dance routine. And for nothing.

Even if you weren’t a citizen and could pole vault or shoot at Olympic level all that can also be fast tracked.

oh well... fish in a barrel..

i never said "all olympians"

when 47% of the Australian population don't hold a passport? yeah i think that's kind of privileged territory ..
it generally means overseas travel and that's not easy for, well, 47% of people here in Australia..

limited opportunity is exactly that - access to sporting programs, scholarships...
people may not have the know how or resources to apply ...

and i didn't say "rich families" - i said money and support .. they're different things

funny you pull one sentence from my post and go me on that? i thought the rest
was much more interesting - an example of privilege, support, and possibly corruption?
Like All those privileged Ethiopians jagging medals in the distance events.

Very few sports at the Olympics are what I’d call genuinely global. And the reason is, they disproportionately advantage a cohort of relatively wealthier countries. Even more magnified in female sport (one reason countries like Australia and NZ do comparatively well in women’s events compared to men’s).

A good mark of whether they are genuinely global is if there is a good pool of relatively poor countries that are also performing well in the upper echelons.

Athletics, boxing and football (soccer) are the three standouts on this criteria. Albeit in athletics it’s not necessarily every event.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you didn’t have a passport and there was a 1% chance you would win a medal a passport could be arranged quicker than a break dance routine. And for nothing.

Even if you weren’t a citizen and could pole vault or shoot at Olympic level all that can also be fast tracked.
partly true. but you still have to get noticed, and that isn't easy for a lot of people.

Not the best example because distance running is almost their sole focus and has been forever. They are funded from elsewhere. For an Ethiopian it is a privilege to run at the Games, because many of them don't get the opportunity.

How good is Alexa Leary, what a sad, but great story. She is the most inspirational person that I've soon in sport.