2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

Some good memes in here. She is probably going to get speaking tour gigs for years.

Not sure if she has brought breakdancing disrespute or respute. Certainly going to be talked about.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Tactical, not too long. And they are running insanely fast.
Benn meaning to ask you PT. How much do tactics matter in middle and long distance running and what sort of tactics are used? I always assumed that runners would run their race to their strengths, ignoring what the others did.

I saw it live. It is the strangest, most confusing, funniest thing I've ever seen on world sport. Worse/ better than Eric the Eel. WTF? The judges were trying not to laugh. She scored 0 in all three heats! Zero. How the bloody hell did she get an Aussie guernsey? I've seen busking breakdancers all over the country who are 1000 times better.

Apparently she has killed breakdancing as an olympic sport, and the next Olympics are in LA, where Compton is. They won't be too happy with Raygun.

Its both infuriating and funny.

Some of the critics comments are funny, 'Viewers were confused that a one-day cricketer had wandered into the wrong venue'
It’s not in the next Olympics, and it’s unlikely for Brisbane as well. Thankfully, it seems to be an experiment that didn’t work.

Benn meaning to ask you PT. How much do tactics matter in middle and long distance running and what sort of tactics are used? I always assumed that runners would run their race to their strengths, ignoring what the others did.
Well, the fact that everyone has different strengths becomes somewhat self fulfilling that you get these clashes of strengths leading to tactical battles.

For about 30 years the best runners in the 1500m had an enormous turn of speed. So all races at major championships tended to be slow, rough, tactical affairs with either an outright sprint over the final 400. Or a bit of a wind up before that.

The dominant runners in the men’s field now have brilliant staying power. Ingebritsen, Kerr, those sorts of guys. Compared to the general population, sure, they have great sprint speed. But at this level, not necessarily outstanding. But gee wizz they can stay at a really solid pace. So the races now are different. Running solid, meet record pace from the gun.

Evidence suggests though, that front running like that doesn’t have an enormous success rate unless you are just a freak, in an entirely different league to the rest of the best in the world. But the margins between runners at this level are generally slim. Not to say it NEVER works though.

The physical disadvantage of running like that isn’t as distinct as cycling. But it does exist to a degree. Obviously a mental obstacle to overcome too. It’s why pretty much all world records are broken on the European circuit with paid pacemakers. The exception to the rule might be if the stars aligned that two or three similar ability front runners came together in a championship race.

Seems some serious depth in the men’s 800m at present. None of those semis were very slow in Paris. Usually you’d expect one or two of those heats be slow, then just sprint the final 200 (times in the vicinity of 1:47-1:50). Rough tactical affairs. But they weren’t. All south of 1:45. And the Algerian just goes past them like they are standing still, even off that pace. To turn speed like he does from that sort of already solid pacing, he looks phenomenally gifted.

I’ll add. In the women’s 1500m. Jessica Hull probably more in that mode of brilliant staying power. She has enough turn of speed. But not the quickest in the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Well, the fact that everyone has different strengths becomes somewhat self fulfilling that you get these clashes of strengths leading to tactical battles.

For about 30 years the best runners in the 1500m had an enormous turn of speed. So all races at major championships tended to be slow, rough, tactical affairs with either an outright sprint over the final 400. Or a bit of a wind up before that.

The dominant runners in the men’s field now have brilliant staying power. Ingebritsen, Kerr, those sorts of guys. Compared to the general population, sure, they have great sprint speed. But at this level, not necessarily outstanding. But gee wizz they can stay at a really solid pace. So the races now are different. Running solid, meet record pace from the gun.

Evidence suggests though, that front running like that doesn’t have an enormous success rate unless you are just a freak, in an entirely different league to the rest of the best in the world. But the margins between runners at this level are generally slim. Not to say it NEVER works though.

The physical disadvantage of running like that isn’t as distinct as cycling. But it does exist to a degree. Obviously a mental obstacle to overcome too. It’s why pretty much all world records are broken on the European circuit with paid pacemakers. The exception to the rule might be if the stars aligned that two or three similar ability front runners came together in a championship race.

Seems some serious depth in the men’s 800m at present. None of those semis were very slow in Paris. Usually you’d expect one or two of those heats be slow, then just sprint the final 200 (times in the vicinity of 1:47-1:50). Rough tactical affairs. But they weren’t. All south of 1:45. And the Algerian just goes past them like they are standing still, even off that pace. To turn speed like he does from that sort of already solid pacing, he looks phenomenally gifted.

I’ll add. In the women’s 1500m. Jessica Hull probably more in that mode of brilliant staying power. She has enough turn of speed. But not the quickest in the field.

Thanks for that, very useful for those of us who only watch athletics at the olympics and maybe commonwealth games.

The cycling mention is interesting. I saw a couple of sprint races last night, I'm on holiday so not seeing much, and the cyclist at the front won both. Usually cyclists want to be behind so they can launch a sprint with a split second advantage in that the cyclist at the front doesn't see it for a moment. But in both races I saw the cyclist in front held enough speed to avoid getting overtaken. I was wondering if the tactics had changed, would need to watch more velodrome cycling to see what the story is but I mainly watch road cycling where having cyclists in front of you take the wind is a huge advantage.

DS

Someone need to be held a accountible for her selection.

36yo middle-class white women who cant dance.

Like selecting a dwarf whose scared of heights for the high jump.

Really poor. Gotta be some kind of foul nepotism

The South African equivalent was 49 year old skateboarder Dallas Oberholzer who's top score in qualifying was 33.83 I think his other 2 runs were single digit scores, now that was equally embarrassing, (is that the best they could come up with, you could pull a kid off the street that could do better). Apparently he has done his Mom proud though:rolleyes:

I could only watch 10 seconds of our breaker, it was a ridiculous selection, would have rather had no-one and saved the air fare.

I just watched some video of it on YouTube, it looked like she was having a series of seizures, badly synched to music.

• Haha
The South African equivalent was 49 year old skateboarder Dallas Oberholzer who's top score in qualifying was 33.83 I think his other 2 runs were single digit scores, now that was equally embarrassing, (is that the best they could come up with, you could pull a kid off the street that could do better). Apparently he has done his Mom proud though:rolleyes:

I could only watch 10 seconds of our breaker, it was a ridiculous selection, would have rather had no-one and saved the air fare.
Will look like a creepy middle aged man hanging around Pattaya, attempting to join in extra-curricular activities in the athlete’s village.

• Haha

Best tactics I have ever seen in a race. Only her fellow compatriot realised the bell was for her team mate and not the rest of the field she managed 2nd

I'd like an explanation from a shrink how it is that imposters dont get imposter syndrome.

but greats like Simone Byles do?

I literally saw black kids busking breakdance on the GC a few months ago who could take Rhoypnol and handcuff their hands behind their back and wear earplugs and smear vaseline all over the floor and wear gumboots and a driza bone and have an epidural,

and beat RayGun 100-0

her performance was so bad, and her lack of insight so profound,

that she's not even worthy of cult status.

her head rotation, half double donkey kick move was like an ADHD preschooler with worms during story time

often with substandard performance. we say

'oh well, she gave it a better a crack than I could do'

but that doesn't apply. I could do more impressive moves on my kitchen floor, in my 50's, with no knee Cartledge left and degenerating vertebrae.

I would be supremely confident in a dance battle with her.
Dr RayGun to you.

• Haha
The women's 1500m will be an interesting race. Faith Kipyegon usually just goes hard and front runs because she has been in a different class to the rest of the field. Jess Hull's recent 3.50 run and the form of Welteji might force her to re think a bit. Either way Jess Hull is a huge chance to win our first middle distance medal since 1968. Her form seems to have improved since she has gone back to her Dad as her coach.

Reactions: 1 users
The women's 1500m will be an interesting race. Faith Kipyegon usually just goes hard and front runs because she has been in a different class to the rest of the field. Jess Hull's recent 3.50 run and the form of Welteji might force her to re think a bit. Either way Jess Hull is a huge chance to win our first middle distance medal since 1968. Her form seems to have improved since she has gone back to her Dad as her coach.
Yeah. I thought Stuart McSweyn was unlucky to not have broken that drought in Tokyo. In the form of his life, probably to not be repeated. And the likes of Kerr and Ingebritsen as fellow stayers, changing the present dynamics of 1500m racing. It was the best chance he was going to get. Just wasn’t to be. Narrowly missed.

I watch Jess Hull and Georgia Griffith run around. And it is with a tinge of ‘what if.’ I had a girl I was coaching, similar age group. Competitive with them both up until 18-19YO. And off much lower training load. They were further advanced in their development compared to her. Just couldn’t keep her in the sport when Uni, work, those things took hold. Dropped back to recreational running. Still turns up and whips weekend warriors at Park Run off limited training base.

Still lives near me. See her out running around the area. Chat to her parents semi-regularly. I should send her a message to see if she’d want to give it an all or nothing crack at the age of 28. Has always kept herself fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users