2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

Gragson & Stenson having a really good dig in the women’s marathon. Were at the front together, dictating terms.

Although have been dropped from the front group now, as a few surges have certainly cut the numbers of that group to only a handful. 13km to go.

*smile* me it’s a brutal course though. Some serious hill climbs. Not something you commonly see on a Marathon course. Sydney was a relatively slow course, with a few undulations. But nothing like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They are spreading lies because they are saying she is transgender. She is not.
For years we have been hearing how *smile* equals boy, vagina equals girl. Now the story has changed.

Thing is, it is speculation about her genetics, do we actually know?

Difficult situation with the less common genetic profiles. I seem to recall East Germany used to look out for those with XXY who were female but had an advantage. There need to be some decisions made. Sport at this level is very close so any advantage can be crucial, at lower levels far less of an issue. Of course, there is so much variety within each sex that it is not as straight forward as some make out.

DS

They are apreading lies because they are saying she is transgender. She is not.
For years we have been hearing how *smile* equals boy, vagina equals girl. Now the story has changed.
Likewise, on the opposite side of the debate. Keep being told a vagina doesn’t necessarily equal female, just as a *smile* doesn’t necessarily equal male. But those same social media warriors saying now, she is a female because she was born with female genitalia. Which is it?

This whole gender ideology war is framed by muddying of the waters through deliberate obfuscation. I can remember the issue around Casta Semenya similarly being recruited by the LBGTIQ++++ political lobby as a cudgel to drive home their cause. Essentially creating the false equivalence of genetic variance, like intersex people, being a related cause to transgenderism. So the movement has brought it on themselves to a degree, by firing these highly politicised obfuscated shots.

And the collateral damage that gets dragged into it are individuals like Casta Semenya et al who have been born with vary rare genetic variations they had no control over.

Whereas an objective person can see genetic variation, such as intersex conditions, are an entirely separate issue that shouldn’t be discussed in association with the wider gender ideology wars.

If have not seen it a great finish in Womans Marathon
5 runners left with 2km which included 2 Kenyans 2 Ethiopians and a Dutch Girl who had won Bronze already in 5000m and 10000m.

Ended up with 3 still left with 1km to go and then a sprint to to the finish with Hasan from Netherlands winning.

Great runs by Jess Stenson 13th and Genevieve Gregson 24th.

The runner who finished last was an amazing effort. She was from Bhutan and still set a PB. She was 90 minutes behind winner and 60 minutes behind the second last. There was still an amazing crowd to greet her.

One of my favourite events is the elimination race in the Ominium, so exciting to watch.

Chance for medals tonight still in the Cycling with Matthew Glaeztner and Richmond own Matthew Richardson in the Keirin final and Georgia Baker a great chance in the omnium

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting...

Although LA to me is a bit meh. From a practicality standpoint it admittedly is an easy choice to host.

All venues exist. Minimal build. Not even an Olympic Village needs building. They just turn the University of California - LA (UCLA) student dorms into an Olympic athlete’s village. If they didn’t have UCLA, probably three or four other Universities in the area that could host. It works, because the students will be out in summer break.

Even articles this week suggesting a permanent home to the Olympics should be found, rather than wastefully building new unneeded stuff every four years. And LA was touted as one option under that model.

Having said that. I did hear this week, they have abandoned the intended rowing venue and instead are going with the 1932 venue at Long Beach that no longer can facilitate a full 2000m course, due to road infrastructure built in the 1950s. So races are being permitted to only race over 1500m. I’m flabbergasted by that. Only the USOC would be able to get away with *smile* like that. No other country could. It’s like saying, oh well, our stadium can only accommodate a 300m athletics track. So we will go with that.

• Wow
Pretty good Olympics. I enjoyed it. Obviously a great Olympics for Australia. But I enjoyed Tokyo more largely because of the time difference which meant as a tv viewer back home you were watching the finals of everything at decent AEST times. The whole 4am thing….nup. I’m sure if you were actually in Paris, it would have been awesome with all the magnificent backdrops etc. But as a tv viewer, preferred Tokyo.

Also, the whole Seine thing was wrong for the swimmers and seems the French f’d up a lot on logistics and things. And then of course, there was the channel 9 commentary teams. Dave Culbert, Matt Hill and a few others big props. But the infuriating, childish, jingoistic soccer mum rubbish from Karl Stefaknowsnothing and Ally whatever her name is was unbearable. And then there’s Nerdley. The most overrated caller of anything in the country. “She’s in the mash up !” The 9 Now app was cumbersome as well.

LA will be interesting. Bloody difficult city to get around. Unlike Paris, no real public transport to speak of. Will be very hot as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty good Olympics. I enjoyed it. Obviously a great Olympics for Australia. But I enjoyed Tokyo more largely because of the time difference which meant as a tv viewer back home you were watching the finals of everything at decent AEST times. The whole 4am thing….nup. I’m sure if you were actually in Paris, it would have been awesome with all the magnificent backdrops etc. But as a tv viewer, preferred Tokyo.

Also, the whole Seine thing was wrong for the swimmers and seems the French f’d up a lot on logistics and things. And then of course, there was the channel 9 commentary teams. Dave Culbert, Matt Hill and a few others big props. But the infuriating, childish, jingoistic soccer mum rubbish from Karl Stefaknowsnothing and Ally whatever her name is was unbearable. And then there’s Nerdley. The most overrated caller of anything in the country. “She’s in the mash up !” The 9 Now app was cumbersome as well.

LA will be interesting. Bloody difficult city to get around. Unlike Paris, no real public transport to speak of. Will be very hot as well.

LA will work fine from the perspective of there really being nothing to build, not even an athlete’s village. Apparently that is a major basis as to why 1984 is viewed so favourably and even turned a profit. And it is a model the IOC is trying to move towards more consciously.

But the overall appeal of LA as a host. Like I said earlier. A bit meh to me. A bit bland.

Worst coverage of an Olympics I can remember, one of the worst coverages of any sporting event.

Reactions: 3 users
Worst coverage of an Olympics I can remember, one of the worst coverages of any sporting event.
Tony Jones to Jess Hull after her race didn't ask her one question about the race itself. Instead it was

"How many selfies have you taken ?" and "did you see Mick Jagger in the crowd ?"

Ffs. 9 should be embarrassed by the cringeworthy unprofessionals they threw up, but they won't be.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
LA will work fine from the perspective of there really being nothing to build, not even an athlete’s village. Apparently that is a major basis as to why 1984 is viewed so favourably and even turned a profit. And it is a model the IOC is trying to move towards more consciously.

But the overall appeal of LA as a host. Like I said earlier. A bit meh to me. A bit bland.
Brisvegas though..

Totally. The longer events like XC mountain bikes and the marathons gave us little information about anyone other than the lead group and commentator selection was bizarre. Tubby Taylor at the diving and Pavlich doing equestrian. WTF?

I watched it all on Stan and it was brilliant. Watched what you want, when you want. Could watch the whole 4 hour session replay of the Athletics or the inidividual events. And they had expert commentators, not bogan barrackers.

Hopefully they maintain the Olympic channel for a couple of weeks so can watch some events that I missed.

I watched it all on Stan and it was brilliant. Watched what you want, when you want. Could watch the whole 4 hour session replay of the Athletics or the inidividual events. And they had expert commentators, not bogan barrackers.

Hopefully they maintain the Olympic channel for a couple of weeks so can watch some events that I missed.
Interesting. I watched a lot of Stan too and while the lack of bogan barrackers was refreshing the expert commentary on sports I actually know something about wasn’t particularly insightful.

2028 Olympics is over before it started with Yanks winning gold probably 10 times more than next nation.