2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Blair Livingstone and Yze need to sit down with every senior player who owns Premiership Medals and oput the acid on them

No *smile* .........real talk time.

Look em square in the eyes and simply ask em if they want to do the hard yards or want to bail.

No BS
i reckon its already happened Craig

some tough conversations had this week

Blair Livingstone and Yze need to sit down with every senior player who owns Premiership Medals and oput the acid on them

No *smile* .........real talk time.

Look em square in the eyes and simply ask em if they want to do the hard yards or want to bail.

No BS
That's it craigo. No more false dawns.

Some posters are talking about the risk that trading the likes of Bolton, Bakes and Dan will lead to years at the bottom and a losing culture. We’d still have a number of senior players around to drive standards - Nank, Timmy, Hops, Broad, Vlastuin, Lynch, Balts… maybe you’d keep Prestia and McIntosh around as culture drivers too. Maybe you’d bring in some hardworking moneyballers to assist. My gut tells me that Seth, Brown, Kane and Gibo have winner brains. Is it enough? I don’t know. Is it worth the risk to allow our coach to build and grow with a young group as our previous premiership coach did? Probably. We are going to be crap next year. I think I’d rather us be crap with a bunch of promising kids. Would be hard to lose Dan though. You want to hang on to triple premiership Riolis. Dimma can go and get stuffed.

Reactions: 8 users
Some posters are talking about the risk that trading the likes of Bolton, Bakes and Dan will lead to years at the bottom and a losing culture. We’d still have a number of senior players around to drive standards - Nank, Timmy, Hops, Broad, Vlastuin, Lynch, Balts… maybe you’d keep Prestia and McIntosh around as culture drivers too. Maybe you’d bring in some hardworking moneyballers to assist. My gut tells me that Seth, Brown, Kane and Gibo have winner brains. Is it enough? I don’t know. Is it worth the risk to allow our coach to build and grow with a young group as our previous premiership coach did? Probably. We are going to be crap next year. I think I’d rather us be crap with a bunch of promising kids. Would be hard to lose Dan though. You want to hang on to triple premiership Riolis. Dimma can go and get stuffed.
Agree. Prestia and Dash Kam I'd keep too. Gives the chance to the early 20s players (Hugo, Ross, Miller etc. ) to step up with leadership while our early pick elites gain experience and development. Mitchell and the Dorks are showing it now. Tex called them the Richmond of 2017.

Reactions: 3 users
Tom Morris reporting Daniel Riolis preference is to go to Gold Coast next year. It’s happening.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
In other news the afl website reporting Prestia and the club are working on giving him another year and J. Ross two more years

Given his ever diminishing output, I'm flummoxed by another year for Prestia.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like we'll end up with at least 2, and up to 9 first round/ sub pick 25 draft picks. Thats before pick/ future pick trading.
Depending on who goes n how fat the return is for the players, we could very nicely pick the eyes out of this years draft n with a bit of shuffling around also save a bit of premium for next years draft as well. While there is always going to be a miss here or there, being in position to ream two drafts in a row would be bloody priceless.

6 first round draft picks is GWS/Gold Coast territory.

At a guess would be 1, 6 (GC), 7 (Freo), 10 (Haw), 12 (Freo), 20 (GC).

Pick 1 - ours
Picks 6 & 20 - Rioli
Picks 7 & 12 - Bolton
Pick 10 - from West Coast who get it from Hawks for Barrass.

What do we do with all of our later picks? They were designed to trade up, we'll only be able to trade up for Brisbanes, maybe Gold Coasts other pick, but they won't want picks this year.

Whatever we accept, we need to spread the picks over 2 years and use our late ones to trade up, else the position we put ourselves in for this years draft would be completely wasted.

according to Cal Twomey's latest thinking

Bakes gone, doesn't know which WA side, for back of the envelope lets say pick 12-ish
Shai 50-50, Freo want him, he's open to going home (they have 7, 12, 16 and 25,)
Danny, we will get a big offer from GC, think he mentioned 11 and 20.

I'd hate to see Danny or Shai go, it would hurt, but sometimes footy hurts, and its good business that one goes. I'd hate to see both go, but if they both want to, it might happen.

Looks like we'll end up with at least 2, and up to 9 first round/ sub pick 25 draft picks. Thats before pick/ future pick trading.
Can you give us the breakdown in 100 games + players from that massive swag of players snake? Using the methodology I’ve seen you quote on the odds of success by pick number?

Whatever we accept, we need to spread the picks over 2 years and use our late ones to trade up, else the position we put ourselves in for this years draft would be completely wasted.
Agree. Split the rebuild out. We can't develop everyone at AFL level, all at once.

This really is a story of the value of leadership. We still have good players on our list. We have premiership players on our list. And yet we sit with 2 wins on the bottom in a seemingly hopeless state. Without leadership, good players become selfish players and become inconsistent. Role players become poor players and voila, winning becomes tough and team spirit and culture is killed.

I'm disappointed that the myriad of premiership players have not been able to step up and take the leadership reins from Cotch, Jack, Edwards, Rance and co. This is what makes these players so special. The ability to get the best out of others around them....on top of their own elite abilities.

Players like Rioli, Bolton, Graham, Baker, Broad, Vlastuin etc, yes they're good players, but they're not leaders. Without leaders around them, they're just good players. They might elevate themselves at another club surrounded by good leaders, but they won't elevate again at Richmond.

Therefore, I'm in the camp of moving whoever it takes on and rebuilding with kids that can evolve into the leaders the club needs to find it's next era of success. Some mentors will stay to help transition (maybe Prestia and Lynch for example), but let's find the next core of youthful talent to build around.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
What do we do with all of our later picks? They were designed to trade up, we'll only be able to trade up for Brisbanes, maybe Gold Coasts other pick, but they won't want picks this year.

I don’t think the club would have anticipated this exodus. Regardless they can use those later picks to trade into next year.

I wouldn’t be asking for future first round picks for the likes of Rioli, Baker etc. Get the picks in now especially as the draft is deep and get this draft crop to develop together.

Reactions: 7 users
If the talent is there this year we load up.
We have a lot of premiership heroes still playing so would be great to blood the kids over the next 2 years

I don’t think the club would have anticipated this exodus. Regardless they can use those later picks to trade into next year.

I wouldn’t be asking for future first round picks for the likes of Rioli, Baker etc. Get the picks in now especially as the draft is deep and get this draft crop to develop together.

Reckon ya sorta both right.

We'll trade picks in this year and then look to trade some into next year. Even (or especially) on draft night.

If Blair holds his nerve - given the strength, evenness, and therefore how different clubs will rate players - we could cop overs and get a boost on our picks trading into next year on the night. Bit like 2023 draft but on steroids.

Either way - If only one of Bakes, Shai or Dan leaves - Let alone more - He's going to a busy lad.

His most crucial off-season for us in many a year (if we wipe end of 2022 from our memory).

W

Why can’t you? The draft is deep. You strike now.
Because at the back end, you get 10 kids all retiring at the same time.
You need to play them all to develop them, preferably in the right position. Have to have spots available, which might mean not taking best available but list need.
Stocking up in one draft opens us up to more failures. Refer 2003 and 2021 drafts.
Etc etc