2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Isn't he a free agent?

Its going to be sad as this trade period will put an absolute full stop of the 17-20 dynasty.

We will grieve for a week or 2 and remember the amazing times watching Rioli, Baker, Bolton and most importantly Dusty.

Then come draft night and day after we will start all over again with a bunch of promising young kids.
We might be left with just Nank, Vloss and Broad as 3x premiership players.

There's a lot of speculation being dressed as facts here, based on no evidence. It's like PRE-FOX News.

All based off something one journo has stated as a rumour.

Have you not read Baron / Carters posts for the last few weeks. Haha. Its all fact apparently and he knows it all

Have you not read Baron / Carters posts for the last few weeks. Haha. Its all fact apparently and he knows it all
Wouldn't sweat it Poshy.
It's just the Barren Nightcarter having a launch n opinionating full throttle. Take him with a generous handful of salt n there's usually a few interesting snippets n chortles in among his ramblings.

Wouldn't sweat it Poshy.
It's just the Barren Nightcarter having a launch n opinionating full throttle. Take him with a generous handful of salt n there's usually a few interesting snippets n chortles in among his ramblings.

Haha I do. No big issues from me, everyones entitled to their opinions, even the journos I suppose, but we need to remember that the journos paint things as fact when they actually aren't.

Isn't he a free agent?
Yes, that was my point. Apparently the Dawks are the front runners for his services. I guess it's a toss up between he and Barrassi. Hopefully Battle stays as the Aints' reported compensation most likely won't help us.

Just a theory ,but if bakes goes and so does Rioli and Bolton ,and Dusty retires ,that leaves a large hole in our salary cap ,although Dusty was probably more front ended .
Are we planning a move on Oliver or something ,because with those l have mentioned gone,we would have close to 3m in salary cap space .
I can't see Graham going if all those above leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not all drafts are the same. Some are more shallow and have less top end talent. This is supposedly a very good deep one. Have no idea what the word is on next years, but if this is the better draft you hit it with all guns blazing.

Plus our kids with a couple of exceptions are mediocre, most will be easily overtaken, and likewise some of our older players are injury prone. There will be opportunities. And expect more significant retirements and delistings at the end of next year.

Except for pick 1 (who will be pick one for a reason) the VFL will beckon for most in the first year as it should be. Now is the time to strike.
I'm aware that drafts are inconsistent with talent.

But you can't take 5 mids in this draft, and play them all in the midfield for significant minutes. You're going to have to put them in other places. Which may stunt their development.
Or, you may go for positional need because you have so many picks, and miss out on talent.
I imagine if we trade out a lot of senior talent, we're going to have a gap in our 23-26yo group. Which will hurt later. It will also make us more likely to have early picks next year, in which case we don't need to grab all the pieces in one year. We'll still have access to high end talent next year.
You only need to look at North Melbourne as a sign of what trading out your prime age group can do to your list and success rate.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a theory ,but if bakes goes and so does Rioli and Bolton ,and Dusty retires ,that leaves a large hole in our salary cap ,although Dusty was probably more front ended .
Are we planning a move on Oliver or something ,because with those l have mentioned gone,we would have close to 3m in salary cap space .
I can't see Graham foing if all those above leave.
I wouldn’t thinks so. Would have to spend a significant amount of your high end draft currency on him.

I wouldn’t thinks so. Would have to spend a significant amount of your high end draft currency on him.
I think he is struggling personally at the demons ,and is on big dollars .
He's not who l would want ,but if those l mentioned left and retired ,we will have a large gap in the salary cap.

I can't see Graham foing if all those above leave.

Be amazed if that happens. If we are worried about salary cap and experience we would keep Shai and/or Dan - they are both long term contracted after all.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to essentially swap out a Rioli for Oliver. Especially culture and role model wise.

Reckon we would look to re-engineer current long term contracts i.e. Hopper/Taranto, Short etc to front load them. Will make the pain a lot less down the track if they are underperforming or injured at the back end of the deals. Would also give us additional flexibility by freeing even more money up through say 27,28,29 to chase free agents or trade picks out to get mature stars in.

Reactions: 13 users
I think he is struggling personally at the demons ,and is on big dollars .
He's not who l would want ,but if those l mentioned left and retired ,we will have a large gap in the salary cap.
But the dees wouldn’t be giving him away. It’ll cost us high end picks. Plus I wouldn’t want him and his baggage around a new cohort of young players.

Be amazed if that happens. If we are worried about salary cap and experience we would keep Shai and/or Dan - they are both long term contracted after all.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to essentially swap out a Rioli for Oliver. Especially culture and role model wise.

Reckon we would re-engineer current long term contracts i.e. Hopper/Taranto, Short etc to front load them. Will make the pain a lot less if they are underperforming or injured at the back end of the deals. Would also give us additional flexibility free more money up through say 27,28,29 to chase free agents or trade picks out to get mature stars in.
That's what I'd do.

I’d imagine Yze wants an Oliver type for Christmas not Oliver himself

Reckon we would look to re-engineer current long term contracts i.e. Hopper/Taranto, Short etc to front load them. Will make the pain a lot less down the track if they are underperforming or injured at the back end of the deals. Would also give us additional flexibility by freeing even more money up through say 27,28,29 to chase free agents or trade picks out to get mature stars in.
Yeah thought of that ,bring contracts forward in payments etc ,but you have Lynchs contract coming out next year as well,.so unless we are keeping Rioli and Bolton,Bakes,,or only trading 1 or 2 of them ,we will be after a big fish next year or more to the point we will be needing to get one .

Yeah if this situation did occur and that group left, I think we'd do exactly as you say, especially being as the AFL are talking about salary cap trading. Whilst I'm certainly not in the go nuclear camp, if we are pushed into the scenario, I trust Blair will get it right. Open up our cap for future years for free agents, but also if we can sell off parts of our cap over the next couple of years for draft picks, we'd be dumb not to explore that.

Reactions: 3 users
I still reckon Collingwood or Melbourne, maybe even Sydney might make an offer for Lynchy. A team that is in contention but needs KF firepower. Firepower doesn't come any bigger. If it happens, would be a good pick and we pay half his wage. I'd say it probably won't happen, but it could.

Yeah thought of that ,bring contracts forward in payments etc ,but you have Lynchs contract coming out next year as well,.so unless we are keeping Rioli and Bolton,Bakes,,or only trading 1 or 2 of them ,we will be after a big fish next year or more to the point we will be needing to get one .

It will only be for the short-term - Your boy Mick Jagga will be a Rising Star, B&F and Brownlow medalist with us by end of his first contract in 27' and we'll need to pay him millions.

In all seriousness, Balta out of contract end of next year (definately - he will have massive demand so his next contract will be big) and hopefully Gibcus, plus some of our current young players along with the potential raft of 2024 early draftees will all be looking for raises in the next few years.

Add that to what POsh said about being able to trade out cap space for picks - really don't think it will be an issue. In fact a positive.

Reactions: 2 users