2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Good post Leysy. Been saying for a while we lack speed in the fwd line which is why I was calling for Rioli and Hugo to play fwd this year.

We stumbled onto this formula in 2017 out of necessity with rioli George Butler Lambert and shed creating havoc in the fwd line and the results were beautiful. We revolutionised the game however we went away from this and didn't replenish our stocks when we traded out the likes of butler stengle Higgins and moved rioli back. We need to get back on the horse quickly starting this draft.
While we like to think we invented chaos and this will be unpopular, I actually think the formula started at Hawthorn and we had a coach who was there.

Do the small forwards Puopolo, Bruest, and Rioli ring any bells Harry. They were only playing alongside mugs like Roughead, Franklin who was really a big mobile quick medium type at the time and Gunston.

If GC trade 12 for Noble, shut the place down.

Seriously.

But I reckon it's an ambit claim so the Pies can score pick 20 from them.

Reactions: 2 users
While we like to think we invented chaos and this will be unpopular, I actually think the formula started at Hawthorn and we had a coach who was there.

Do the small forwards Puopolo, Bruest, and Rioli ring any bells Harry. They were only playing alongside mugs like Roughead, Franklin who was really a big mobile quick medium type at the time and Gunston.
I disagree entirely.
Hawthorn was nothing like our chaos game. Two big mobile key forwards, mediums and then the smalls. They more of a standard forward line. With good users of the ball hitting up targets willy nilly. It was the antitheses of our game plan.
When we had one key forward and a medium. With a host of fast smalls running through there. It’s all we had at the time.

Hardwick only played that system in 2017 as a necessity, when we only had Riewoldt as the key forward. He hadn’t used it before.

Reactions: 6 users

Seriously.

More likely that Collingwood will make a play for pick 12 with Noble plus include other later/future picks. As Collingwood currently don't have a first round pick then maybe even look to use 12 to trade for another player etc.

As GC will look to trade out pick 6, 12 & 20 and if Collingwood does a deal for 12 that would likely leave Richmond trying to do a deal which includes 6 + 20 for Rioli.

More likely that Collingwood will make a play for pick 12 with Noble plus include other later/future picks. As Collingwood currently don't have a first round pick then maybe even look to use 12 to trade for another player etc.

As GC will look to trade out pick 6, 12 & 20 and if Collingwood does a deal for 12 that would likely leave Richmond trying to do a deal which includes 6 + 20 for Rioli.

We say no to that we will keep Rioli. If Suns give us 6 and 13 then we will talk.

Collingwood can take pick 20 for Noble that is more his value

Reactions: 3 users

Will we get involved somehow to help facilitate the Colonwood deal? I'd like to think they get a 40 + pick for him as that's his value IMO.

Will we get involved somehow to help facilitate the Colonwood deal? I'd like to think they get a 40 + pick for him as that's his value IMO.

Think GC would offer their pick 26 for Noble in a normal market as he's contracted. But since GC need to trade on 6, 12 and 20 then it's a different situation. Collingwood may have to offer a number of draft picks/salary plus Noble to get a shot at 12.

May not be in Richmond's best interest to offer too much other then a contracted Rioli - no salary or decent picks but still push for 6 plus 20.

Anyway just speculation at this stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Long deep draft. The question when it comes to future picks would be. Is say pick 22 in this draft better or just as good as say pick 15 next year as far as depth goes.

It may be to get equal quality value we need top 10 future picks to make the exercise viable.
I disagree entirely.
Hawthorn was nothing like our chaos game. Two big mobile key forwards, mediums and then the smalls. They more of a standard forward line. With good users of the ball hitting up targets willy nilly. It was the antitheses of our game plan.
When we had one key forward and a medium. With a host of fast smalls running through there. It’s all we had at the time.

Hardwick only played that system in 2017 as a necessity, when we only had Riewoldt as the key forward. He hadn’t used it before.
Disagree i think Puopolo and Cyril were the epitome of pressure fwds. Bruest in that period along with the other two was a tackling machine.
These three were laying over 100 tackles a year each or very close to it.

They had better users and better rounded players but that did not exclude them from playing high pressure footy in the forward half.
What was all the talk about cyril at the time.

On Hardwick he was not there when the Hawks played this system so im wrong about that. But he was good mates with clarkson still.
Just think the Hawks came up with the three pressure small system in 2013 well before Hardwick implemented it in 2017.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Seriously.

What!!!???

Are you seriously suggesting that Clubs make ambit claims about the worth of the player they’re losing ?
Surely not

Maybe watch a few replays, I think you might change your mind.

Maybe watch a few replays, I think you might change your mind.
Really its not me who has not been watching.

So many tiger supporters are closed books. To be fair i suppose all supporters of each club are the same.

Well I’d agree with you but then we’d both be wrong :giggle:
i think Puopolo and Cyril were the epitome of pressure fwds.
No doubt, but they didn’t invent the concept or were the first small pressure forwards
Bruest in that period along with the other two was a tackling machine.
These three were laying over 100 tackles a year each or very close to it.
Well done them. They did it well.
They had better users and better rounded players but that did not exclude them from playing high pressure footy in the forward half.
What was all the talk about cyril at the time.
No one is disagreeing with that statement. . But there is a big difference between “high pressure football” and “chaos football”
On Hardwick he was not there when the Hawks played this system so im wrong about that.
I don’t believe I said any about Hardwick being at the Hawks then. So I can hardly be wrong.
But maybe you reread your original post. It was you who actually said that. ;)
But he was good mates with clarkson still.
Just think the Hawks came up with the three pressure small system in 2013 well before Hardwick implemented it in 2017.
Obviously you can’t think what you like.
Three pressure forwards don’t = “the chaos game”
Our “chaos game” started from our back half. To get the ball moving forwards at all costs, using whatever means. Taps, kicks, knock ons, handballs, gut runners. Not by pin point kicks by “good users of the ball” .

Respectfully I think you’ve confused yourself with the terms “small pressure forwards” and “chaos ball”

Reactions: 6 users
We say no to that we will keep Rioli. If Suns give us 6 and 13 then we will talk.

Collingwood can take pick 20 for Noble that is more his value
Yup say just to Hunwick you want Rioli or you want Noble .who whilst an upgrade for your HB line still aint Rioli.

Reactions: 1 user