2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Bit harsh on those young fellas. Scott is appalling at developing youth, as North would attest to.
From the feedback of others Tsatas can't kick, but all the phantom drafts had him at the higher end of the draft. He must have some qualities that made him a first rounder, same for Hobbs. Whether we want/need those qualities is up for debate, but they've barely been in the system. There's gold out there. We've proven that with recycled players. The Hawks are proving it right now. Just got to find them.
There is a time to trade for retreads but this season because the draft is chockas with quality and depth you keep the picks and build your list with quality young players..

If the draft year is a bit thin then the better value is to trade for retreads with the later picks.

Hypothetical: Essendon offer Tsatas for our pick 22, around that mark Christian Moraes is available.

Rookie central
Tsatas was not able to back up his strong pre-season testing at the National Combine, but was impressive in interviews with the well spoken Charger embracing the pressure and how he may have to play interstate at the next level.
Elijah Tsatas has been a highly rated prospect for a while now with selection in SSA squads and some strong performances in Under 16s pre-season games, Vic Metro Under 17s and even a debut as a 16-year-old for Oakleigh’s Under 19 side last year. Tsatas has spent a lot of his time either as a stoppage midfielder or running wingman, and has excelled at both roles.

Cal Twomey's assessment

Moraes has shown his stuff as a goalkicking wingman over the course of the past two seasons. Last season he kicked 10 goals from 16 games and averaged 26 disposals for the Ranges and this year he's booted 10 goals from seven games and averaged 25 disposals, including a hot start to the year where he kicked 4.1 from 25 touches against the Northern Knights. His standout game of the carnival came against South Australia when he had 22 disposals, booted two goals and took 12 marks, showing his ability to find the ball and hit the scoreboard. He has a turn of foot and creates when he's in possession.

Do we go with the player who was a former pick 5 who has not played a senior match or go with a player is untried but who has a higher ceiling?

Reactions: 3 users
Do we go with the player who was a former pick 5 who has not played a senior match or go with a player is untried but who has a higher ceiling?
Neither. I imagine we'll be going tall at that point of the draft.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree Spook but it was just a hypothetical on retreads or draft picks.

Jonty Faul if he is available or one of the Whitlock boys.

Reactions: 1 users
Houli and Grigg trades were meh at the time, but inspired in hindsight
after we bottomed out last time we started our trading in of players with the likes of Farmer & Nason (any afl opportunity types)

then moved up a bit with Chaplin , Houli , Grigg , Big Ivan , Nank , Caddy (looking for more opportunity than their current club)

and when we looked better as a destination Prestia & Lynch (looking for finals opportunities and possible premierships)

how will opposition clubs and players view us now ?

that might have changed a bit after Fox sports put up our possible draft hand
and might continue to improve once trades are done and pick swapping happens

and the footy world catches onto what we've been jerking off to for some time now

we might not look so bad and we might be able to plug some gaps with experienced players with some quality
and we don't have to resort to sifting thru the real bargain basement 🤞

after we bottomed out last time we started our trading in of players with the likes of Farmer & Nason (any afl opportunity types)

then moved up a bit with Chaplin , Houli , Grigg , Big Ivan , Nank , Caddy (looking for more opportunity than their current club)

and when we looked better as a destination Prestia & Lynch (looking for finals opportunities and possible premierships)

and the footy world catches onto what we've been jerking off to for some time now

we might not look so bad and we might be able to plug some gaps with experienced players with some quality
I key shift, apart from improved list and performance, was the recruitment of Blair H

We won the flag the day we got Townsend into the side.
Pack busters are gold.
Defenders were doing the short step dance when Townsend was in the area.
I thought Townsend alongside Caddy & Prestia turned our club into a power house

Farmer, Nason, Grigg and Houli all came with Hardwick pre 2010.
Maric came the following year.
Then Chaplin.
Prestia, Caddy and Nank then all came after our disastrous 2016.

I'm big on getting both Whitlock boys... Keep em together and my feeling they developed faster due to sibling rivalry

We could have a draft hand similar to GWS in it's first year. The difference is we've got half a team of senior experienced players that would help fast track their development.

Reactions: 9 users

I'd lean towards draft picks over retreads with all else being equal. Retreads are more useful in the later stages of list building. Reaping the benefits of draft picks is a slower process, so it makes sense to start there. As was the case with Astbury / Grimes / Rance, there's a cultural value in raising new draftees together for several years while they develop.

I'd lean towards draft picks over retreads with all else being equal. Retreads are more useful in the later stages of list building. Reaping the benefits of draft picks is a slower process, so it makes sense to start there. As was the case with Astbury / Grimes / Rance, there's a cultural value in raising new draftees together for several years while they develop.
I get the sentiment but I am not sure that we should be definitive either way. For instance there are a lot of people calling for us to draft our 22 year old VFL player Sam Davidson. If we rate a 22 year old already in the system at another club I don’t see the difference.
All the options need to be considered against each other. If we are targeting player x from another club and we think he has more upside that any player we think will be available at the pick we would trade for him then do the deal.
I am talking about 20-23 year olds not 27 year old mature players.

Reactions: 5 users
I get the sentiment but I am not sure that we should be definitive either way. For instance there are a lot of people calling for us to draft our 22 year old VFL player Sam Davidson. If we rate a 22 year old already in the system at another club I don’t see the difference.
All the options need to be considered against each other. If we are targeting player x from another club and we think he has more upside that any player we think will be available at the pick we would trade for him then do the deal.
I am talking about 20-23 year olds not 27 year old mature players.

In this case, I'd say there's a type of value in the 22yo VFL pick who hasn't been in an AFL system before compared to a 22yo retread who hasn't lived up to expectation for whatever reason, especially if it's someone who perhaps wasn't able to form strong relationships at his original club. All players should be treated on a case by case basis, so there's always exceptions that are worthwhile. One example of a retread that I'd be cautious about would be the Josh Schache type of 22yo.

In this case, I'd say there's a type of value in the 22yo VFL pick who hasn't been in an AFL system before compared to a 22yo retread who hasn't lived up to expectation for whatever reason, especially if it's someone who perhaps wasn't able to form strong relationships at his original club. All players should be treated on a case by case basis, so there's always exceptions that are worthwhile. One example of a retread that I'd be cautious about would be the Josh Schache type of 22yo.
Totally agree, it’s case by case.

Have 2 siblings ever been drafted at the same time for the same club ??
Not sure but been plenty of brothers being at same club being successful. Krakours, Daicos, Scott's, Rocca's, Maddens, Jarmen, Cornes and tones if others but these ones were pretty successful.

Totally agree, it’s case by case.
Given the strength of this years draft I'd be hesitant to use a pick on an underachieving player from another club.

PSD or Rookie draft maybe, certainly not using a pick under #40