2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Is getting Essendon’s pick also a viable option because they want the academy player (Kako?) or is it unlikely he will get bid on before their pick?
Probably can’t do Brisbane and Essendon but the bummers pick is the better pick.

Its probably a watch and see I reckon. Kako seems to be around 13-15 in the draft listings. Their Pick is 8, add 1 for Ashcroft and another for Lombard, if Battle gets a 1st rounder, then that brings them to Pick 11. It might be getting close.

If he is bid on at say 10 in that instance, do they get the chance to trade before they match? Ie. could they have a pre-conceived trade already setup, lets say they trade their 1st this year for say our F2nd. Then match with later picks, and then trade our F2nd back to us for the Graham pick? We essentially get the Graham pick traded into next years Bombers 1st rounder.

Reactions: 1 users
This would be an awesome hand at the draft table which us supporters have advocated these first round pics to come to Richmond to get these deals done.

Fox Footy just put this up in the last hour.

View attachment 24161
AFLHQ is gunna take one look at that chart go ballistic. They'll b ringing up club CEO's n instructing everyone to not deal with us in any way shape or form. The message will go out that them pricks just snaffled 3 flags in a big hurry n now they can sit down the bottom n rot for 20 years. No way they get to ream the draft harder than Gee Whizz or Mould Coast got to do at start up n then rebound back into contention before every other club has won at least one more flag.

Reactions: 4 users
I can hear the oppo sooking now

but
View attachment 24163
Going by Carter's comments on previous page.. the likeness is uncanny!

Coles stock check:
Next batch of Kleenex cartons arrives when?

It is quite a draft hand, if it eventuates.
Could fast track our rebuild.
Would love us to make finals before EssenDoom!

Reactions: 1 user
Analogous to being at the mall, riding the up escalator and passing, as they go down towards the basement, some of your enemies.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So I've just had a bit of a crack at a few trades, just to see what sort of outcome we can look at. I'm sure some here will think I've been light on with some trades our way, but I think they are all realistic. Anything we get above this is additional value IMO.

So we start with 1,21,29,39,41,47,57,66 and 73. I'm not going to include Battle here but would lower the value of later picks a little bit. I will include Graham though, so all the later picks will move back by 1, so it may be a little tricky to follow which pick numbers are which.

Graham - I will include here as a Band 3 (2nd rounder so 22)
Trade 1 - Baker - In 23, F2 and 59. Out Baker,29 and 66, rough points value is 1118 or pick 15
Trade 2 - Rioli - In 6, 20 and Rosas. Out Rioli and F2 (WCE from Baker trade), rough points value (without Rosas) is 1785 or Pick 5
Trade 3 - Bolton - In 9, 17 and Simpson. Out Bolton and 20., Rough points value (without Simpson) us 1582 or Pick 8
Trade 4 - Philips - In Philips and 65. Out 48. Rough points value is 201 or Pick 55
Trade 5 - Brisbane - In 14. Out 24, 40, 58 and 60. Pick premium paid 369 points

This would leave us with losing Graham, Baker, Bolton and Rioli but getting in Rosas, Philips, Simpson as well as Picks 1, 6, 9, 14, 17, 21, 22 and have points at the backend to match our NGA kid (who I've forgotten his name for now).

Thats too many coming in for those we know are out, so brings most of our thoughts that we could trade 21 and 22 into 2025 possibly for 1st round picks. Or could we package a couple of them up to give to North and grab pick 2 (lets say 6 and 17) and take the best 2 players in the draft. North would need to be confident that Trainor would still be there, but could work well for them, with another pick at the back end of the 1st round where a bunch of talls are likely to be.

If we did the above trades, I'd delist Cumbo, Coulthard and Dow for sure. I'd probably keep Kmac and Prestia on 1 year contracts to fill some experience void and keep training standards up and keep Blight (1 year), Tresize (1 year) and Smith (2 years) too.

If those were the remaining delists, then I think we would have 8 spots, so would probably need to do that trade for Pick 2, then fill those remaining 5 spots (less the 3 kids traded in), with

Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 9
Pick 14
NGA Kid - Unless we choose not to draft him and use 1 of the other picks.

We would then likely go into next year with our 1st (Pick 1), 2 additional 1st rounders (from the trades for Picks 21 and 22), our 2nd in 2025, so likely another 4 top 20 picks.

I reckon several of those players on 1 year agreements (Prestia, Kmac, Blight and Tresize), might only be re-signed once the trade period is over.
I like the trades but why we would pay Brisbane more points is beyond me. If we bid on Ashcroft at 1 (and we should) they will be desperate for points as they will be about 1000 short, make them pay a premium to get the 1000 points from us

The ONE thing I am sure about this trade period is that the topic of a cap on the number of first-rounders a club can have (tassie excluded) will be raised.

First, a Chris Scott comment.

Then, an Eddie McGuire rant. A “measured” Whateley editorial.

Geelong and Collingwood (with their media mouthpieces) are bound to pipe up first.
Correct.

So I've just had a bit of a crack at a few trades, just to see what sort of outcome we can look at. I'm sure some here will think I've been light on with some trades our way, but I think they are all realistic. Anything we get above this is additional value IMO.

So we start with 1,21,29,39,41,47,57,66 and 73. I'm not going to include Battle here but would lower the value of later picks a little bit. I will include Graham though, so all the later picks will move back by 1, so it may be a little tricky to follow which pick numbers are which.

Graham - I will include here as a Band 3 (2nd rounder so 22)
Trade 1 - Baker - In 23, F2 and 59. Out Baker,29 and 66, rough points value is 1118 or pick 15
Trade 2 - Rioli - In 6, 20 and Rosas. Out Rioli and F2 (WCE from Baker trade), rough points value (without Rosas) is 1785 or Pick 5
Trade 3 - Bolton - In 9, 17 and Simpson. Out Bolton and 20., Rough points value (without Simpson) us 1582 or Pick 8
Trade 4 - Philips - In Philips and 65. Out 48. Rough points value is 201 or Pick 55
Trade 5 - Brisbane - In 14. Out 24, 40, 58 and 60. Pick premium paid 369 points

This would leave us with losing Graham, Baker, Bolton and Rioli but getting in Rosas, Philips, Simpson as well as Picks 1, 6, 9, 14, 17, 21, 22 and have points at the backend to match our NGA kid (who I've forgotten his name for now).

Thats too many coming in for those we know are out, so brings most of our thoughts that we could trade 21 and 22 into 2025 possibly for 1st round picks. Or could we package a couple of them up to give to North and grab pick 2 (lets say 6 and 17) and take the best 2 players in the draft. North would need to be confident that Trainor would still be there, but could work well for them, with another pick at the back end of the 1st round where a bunch of talls are likely to be.

If we did the above trades, I'd delist Cumbo, Coulthard and Dow for sure. I'd probably keep Kmac and Prestia on 1 year contracts to fill some experience void and keep training standards up and keep Blight (1 year), Tresize (1 year) and Smith (2 years) too.

If those were the remaining delists, then I think we would have 8 spots, so would probably need to do that trade for Pick 2, then fill those remaining 5 spots (less the 3 kids traded in), with

Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 9
Pick 14
NGA Kid - Unless we choose not to draft him and use 1 of the other picks.

We would then likely go into next year with our 1st (Pick 1), 2 additional 1st rounders (from the trades for Picks 21 and 22), our 2nd in 2025, so likely another 4 top 20 picks.

I reckon several of those players on 1 year agreements (Prestia, Kmac, Blight and Tresize), might only be re-signed once the trade period is over.
Good effort. Only thing l would not be considering bringing players in. As you say too many coming in.
The trades need to be for picks only. Worry about bringing players in through the PSD and supplementary drafts

I like the trades but why we would pay Brisbane more points is beyond me. If we bid on Ashcroft at 1 (and we should) they will be desperate for points as they will be about 1000 short, make them pay a premium to get the 1000 points from us

Was just an example of what we could do. I suspect we will pay them a premium for those picks but might not be as much as I've shown, or maybe we can get a future pick off them to compensate. A F2 would be good, as their F3 probably isn't worth much next year.

This would be an awesome hand at the draft table which us supporters have advocated these first round pics to come to Richmond to get these deals done.

Fox Footy just put this up in the last hour.

View attachment 24161
The next step is then to drive some of these picks lower again.
(And yes we should get Brissies pick, we need them to tumble straight out)

We dont want to bring in 8 or 9 draftees, so we can combine for a single lower pick.
Will north trade 2? Personally i doubt it and their mantra will be best mid. They make take smillie if we're lucky.
Will WCE trade? New coach so cautious but we know their list manager loves a trade.
Get a key back to replace Barass AND Bo Allen! Highly doable.
Will Dees trade? So much happening for them, but they could see it as a mini reset. Do lhey replace Kosi P with Rachele? Pick 9 would do it and they'd still have another pick for a key forward.

1, 3, 5, 6, 20, 21, 29

WC trade 3 for 9, 14
Dees trade 5 for 12, 17

Why aren't we looking at players from other clubs??
Footy has changed, you don't need to wait for the afternoon edition of the Hearld sun anymore.
Carlton are getting Haynes
After they got Williams, Arces, Hewitt, Hollands and Kennedy.
We just rely on 6 kids, we need 2 or 3 experiences players to help out.

Reactions: 2 users
The next step is then to drive some of these picks lower again.
(And yes we should get Brissies pick, we need them to tumble straight out)

We dont want to bring in 8 or 9 draftees, so we can combine for a single lower pick.
Will north trade 2? Personally i doubt it and their mantra will be best mid. They make take smillie if we're lucky.
Will WCE trade? New coach so cautious but we know their list manager loves a trade.
Get a key back to replace Barass AND Bo Allen! Highly doable.
Will Dees trade? So much happening for them, but they could see it as a mini reset. Do lhey replace Kosi P with Rachele? Pick 9 would do it and they'd still have another pick for a key forward.

1, 3, 5, 6, 20, 21, 29

WC trade 3 for 9, 14
Dees trade 5 for 12, 17
Don't mind the obvious idea of trying to concentrate some of our picks for even earlier ones. But I have a query as to why we don't want to bring in 8 or 9 players. We've done it before and so have other clubs, bringing in around 8 to 11 players in a season.
Supposedly very deep draft, list obviously in transition, should have a fat drafting hand, Taswegia about to impact the draft status in a couple of years time. Compared to any other season since the draft started this year would seem to be the ideal year to dig deep into what's available.

Some very interesting times ahead. I can't remember a club ever loosing three of possibly their best five players still in their peak before. It's probably mainly due to circumstances rather than being planned that way. It's a little bit like the approach used a bit in the NBA where bottom teams trade out their best assets for picks and then get free agents down the road when they improve.

If it works it could become more common in the future. One thing for sure is we need to nail our picks. If we stll have the beach house down the peninsula the whole recruiting team needs to lock themselves away for a month before the draft and live off uber eats going over footage.

Why aren't we looking at players from other clubs??
Footy has changed, you don't need to wait for the afternoon edition of the Hearld sun anymore.
Carlton are getting Haynes
After they got Williams, Arces, Hewitt, Hollands and Kennedy.
We just rely on 6 kids, we need 2 or 3 experiences players to help out.
Who says we aren’t ?

Some very interesting times ahead. I can't remember a club ever loosing three of possibly their best five players still in their peak before. It's probably mainly due to circumstances rather than being planned that way. It's a little bit like the approach used a bit in the NBA where bottom teams trade out their best assets for picks and then get free agents down the road when they improve.

If it works it could become more common in the future. One thing for sure is we need to nail our picks. If we stll have the beach house down the peninsula the whole recruiting team needs to lock themselves away for a month before the draft and live off uber eats going over footage.
This is exactly it.
A deliberate load-up of high draft picks.
US sports approach