2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Don't mind the obvious idea of trying to concentrate some of our picks for even earlier ones. But I have a query as to why we don't want to bring in 8 or 9 players. We've done it before and so have other clubs, bringing in around 8 to 11 players in a season.
Supposedly very deep draft, list obviously in transition, should have a fat drafting hand, Taswegia about to impact the draft status in a couple of years time. Compared to any other season since the draft started this year would seem to be the ideal year to dig deep into what's available.
No doubt we turnover 10 or so.
4 retired. 4 traded. 2-3 delisted.
We already have 2 from the midseason.
So thats 8-9 draftees/ rookies/mature agers.
What we lack is elite talent (and perversely what we are trading out)
We need to get the creme de la creme

Reactions: 1 user
No doubt we turnover 10 or so.
4 retired. 4 traded. 2-3 delisted.
We already have 2 from the midseason.
So thats 8-9 draftees/ rookies/mature agers.
What we lack is elite talent (and perversely what we are trading out)
We need to get the creme de la creme
The only thing for me is that I am a bit bemused that there hasn’t been an announcement on any delistings even though the club has done interviews.
I was expecting Cumberland and Coulthard to be delisted by now. Maybe we are waiting.

If we trade picks for players we only trade for proven A graders or players who are likely to become A grade and in the right age bracket for now.

We have the opprtunity to get some experience in to help kids with pick 1 rookie draft. Pick 1 msd, and pick 1 psd.
I would be surprised if we don,t have a few from the other leagues under consideration. this can be done for now without wasting valuable picks.

Reactions: 2 users
The only thing for me is that I am a bit bemused that there hasn’t been an announcement on any delistings even though the club has done interviews.
I was expecting Cumberland and Coulthard to be delisted by now. Maybe we are waiting.
We often wait to see if we can trade.
I think it is to help the players as much as us

Reactions: 1 users
Having traded out some high end talent the last thing we would want is to trade those picks for list cloggers (we still have a few of our own).

eg. Hobbs and Tsatas from Essendon 1st round picks but were mistakes, keep our picks and rebuild in a quality draft.

Reactions: 5 users
Having traded out some high end talent the last thing we would want is to trade those picks for list cloggers (we still have a few of our own).

eg. Hobbs and Tsatas from Essendon 1st round picks but were mistakes, keep our picks and rebuild in a quality draft.
Nobody is advocating trading for list cloggers.

There are players around who can become good consistent AFL level performers just not getting an opportunity where they are and in the right age bracket. These are the types we need to target.

Bit harsh on those young fellas. Scott is appalling at developing youth, as North would attest to.
From the feedback of others Tsatas can't kick, but all the phantom drafts had him at the higher end of the draft. He must have some qualities that made him a first rounder, same for Hobbs. Whether we want/need those qualities is up for debate, but they've barely been in the system. There's gold out there. We've proven that with recycled players. The Hawks are proving it right now. Just got to find them.

Reactions: 2 users
Club just keeping us mug punters engaged a bit longer, drawing out the suspense and anticipation for maximum edge of the seat enjoyment. Just like all good horror n train wreck movies should.

I assume Nank will announce them at our B&F.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Its probably a watch and see I reckon. Kako seems to be around 13-15 in the draft listings. Their Pick is 8, add 1 for Ashcroft and another for Lombard, if Battle gets a 1st rounder, then that brings them to Pick 11. It might be getting close.

If he is bid on at say 10 in that instance, do they get the chance to trade before they match? Ie. could they have a pre-conceived trade already setup, lets say they trade their 1st this year for say our F2nd. Then match with later picks, and then trade our F2nd back to us for the Graham pick? We essentially get the Graham pick traded into next years Bombers 1st rounder.
Clubs can trade out picks once a bid is made. i expect if the Suns dont trade 6 for DRioli they will hold onto until the draft and only trade out if a bid comes first. The Dons would do the same.
But i am pretty sure you CAN'T trade the same pick back to the club you got it from in another trade.
a couple of years ago 2 teams (Swans/WEagles??) traded picks once a bid was made. then once later picks were used to match a bid, the 2 teams did another trade sending a lot of the same picks back- avoiding those better picks getting swallowed up matching.

Last edited:
Clubs can trade out picks once a bid is made. i expect if the Suns dont trade 6 for DRioli they will hold onto until the draft and only trade out if a bid comes first. The Dons would do the same.
But i am pretty sure you can trade the same pick back to the club you got it from in another trade.
a couple of years ago 2 teams (Swans/WEagles??) traded picks once a bid was made. then once later picks were used to match a bid, the 2 teams did another trade sending a lot of the same picks back- avoiding those better picks getting swallowed up matching.

Wrong - again.

The AFL changed the loophole where you can trade the picks back to the same club.

A big clean out over ‘23 (Trent, Jack, George, Ivan, Tarrant, Bradtke & Biggie) and ‘24 (Dusty, Marlion, Dylan, Naismith and presumably Shai, Daniel, Liam and Graham and whatever delistings Coulthard, Cumbo) another in 12 months (possibly Dion, Lynch, Dow, Sonsie and whoever) the difference in the list between ‘23 and ‘26 will be pretty significant (over 2 dozen players) in numbers and experience and quality.

Wrong - again.

The AFL changed the loophole where you can trade the picks back to the same club.
Well picked up- good to see someone reads my posts. My secretary made a typo- i dictated "cant trade".

i'll edit it myself now.

• Haha
potentially four or five of the top dozen picks.

friends, let us set our watches to the first whinge.

my money is on Chris Scott, AFL360.

it will all culminate in Laura Kane saying “it’s not what we want equalisation to look like” and that the AFL “will look into it.”

but it’ll be too faaaaaaarking late hahahagahhahahagahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
It's often done after the JDM which is on Oct 1. The players often have obligations to attend. I know of at least 1 player who is off in Europe and will make a 2 or 3 day return just for the JDM.

Reactions: 3 users

Dusty, Naismith, Grimes, and Pickett all retired. Bolton, Baker, and Rioli are on the move plus Graham (likely too). Thats 8.

Macintosh told to wait, but I'd delist him. That'll be 9.

Likely Cumberland and Coulthard "could" get one year as they fit the age profile. Or another delisting from one of these two. have heard cumbo could get one year. At a guess because before we get too cumbo or coulthard there are 9 likely to be gone. Id also get rid of Colina to injury prone.