2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

So Shai is suppose to want to go home for the support network ,,well welcome to the West Coast Shai ,we will take there first pick this year and next .
He's contracted so we get whats the best deal for us ,and he's back home with his support network :cool:
Well...that means we get Draper and Smith..yeah!!!

Reactions: 1 users
IF we do all the trades / drafting discussed on this forum what will our team look like when we would have the requisite experience to contend once more? Say in 2029 (OMG that looks like a date from science fiction).

Let’s say we draft in 2024: Draper, Lalor, Berry, Lindsay, J Whitlock, Hynes.

And the equivalent of these players in 2025 draft: Reid, Langford.

Let’s assume they all make the grade as AFL players and that all the players listed below play an average of 15 games per year until then.

And let’s assume we trade for a ready-made ruck. Maybe Goad from North will come good – 6’9 and pick 20 in the 2023 draft.

Here’s the possible best 23 – with approximate game numbers in brackets.

BROWN (95) MILLER (115) SMITH (80)

GIBCUS (95) BALTA (175) LINDSAY (75)

HYNES (75) LANGFORD(75) BANKS (95)

LALOR (75) FAWCETT (75) REID (75)

MRJ (110) WHITLOCK (75) BERRY (75)

GOAD (75) MCAULIFFE (85) DRAPER (75)

ROSS (150) TRESIZE (85) BAUER (80) CAMPBELL (100) TARANTO (230)

Looks a great side on paper even if a little light on for experience. Only 6 players with more than 100 games experience. Maybe it’ll be another year – 2030 – before we’ll be genuine prospects for a title. Then it’ll be 12 players with more than 100 games experience and the bulk of the rest knocking on the door with 90 or more.

Reactions: 1 user
So Shai is suppose to want to go home for the support network ,,well welcome to the West Coast Shai ,we will take there first pick this year and next .
He's contracted so we get whats the best deal for us ,and he's back home with his support network :cool:
He's contracted and a matchwinner who is only 25 so we keep him unless we get a Godfather offer. West Coast's 2024 and 2025 firsts fits the bill but they won't offer them and I'd say he prefers Freo.

I think he's worth something around 12-15 but we will struggle to get that from West Coast. I've been thinking that we would get their 1st in 2024 and 1st in 2025, and possibly give something back, maybe they can have 3rd in 2024 back.

If Graham goes to West Coast and they help us get Pick 22 as compo instead of around Pick 40, then I think we will be fair with the trade with them and make it a bit better value for them.

Some of what might be included in the picks that change, could depend on where they think Champion will be bid on. If around early to mid 20's then I reckon they will trade that and get something later back from us.
One of the things that may help us with Graham if it happens is that the secret herbs and spices formula is going to be changed as I understand it.
In the past it was age and salary but they are intending to add the length of contract which is one of the things that hurt us with the Ellis compo.
If fridge goes and he gets a 4-5 year deal it may well assist. That to me is the reason he may go, long term security.

He's contracted and a matchwinner who is only 25 so we keep him unless we get a Godfather offer. West Coast's 2024 and 2025 firsts fits the bill but they won't offer them and I'd say he prefers Freo.
He can prefer whoever he want's ,if WC are interested we lay down our terms ,the Tiges are the ones in control ,and Shai gets back to his support network .
Í want to see a club stand it's ground on contracted player's wanting out ,thats why l think we should tell the Suns and Dimma to stick it ,in terms of Rioli.

He can prefer whoever he want's ,if WC are interested we lay down our terms ,the Tiges are the ones in control ,and Shai gets back to his support network .
Í want to see a club stand it's ground on contracted player's wanting out ,thats why l think we should tell the Suns and Dimma to stick it ,in terms of Rioli.
100%. Massive overs or they stay.

West Coast will need to pay what they paid for Kelly.
Kelly had only 1 yr left but Bolton has 4 left

West Coast will need to pay what they paid for Kelly.
Kelly had only 1 yr left but Bolton has 4 left

Whoever pays it will be more than Kelly.

Kelly was out of contract I think, Kelly was older than Bolton, Kelly had only played 2 years of AFL (2 good years mind you - but Shai is a lower risk in terms of underperformance) and ultimately Shai is a better player.

Reckon if this happens it is probably 1 of the biggest trades of all time, especially being as we will likely cover some of his wage.

Reactions: 2 users
Obviously who stays and who goes is a bone of contention, we all think differently.

I have been an advocate of delisting both Pickett who is aged 33, age at the start of next season., his last few years have been very poor. Plus McIntosh who is 31 and regardless of the debate most would agree he has had a poor year and is nothing more than a role player. So age talent and form really does come into it.

What also comes into it is the player type they are and the potential numbers we actually have who could perform their role. Do we really want another two or so seasons of these two when we have not even bottomed out. Or do we want Two or three years of afl games into the following thank you very much.

Wingers and running types who could play wing.

Banks, HRS, Ross, Rioli, Brown, Smith, and Trezise unfortunately have to put Short there as well because he has a three year contract.

Moving forward surely this is where we are at. For me because of all the reasons above the two have become redundant and surplus to needs.
We don't even need to retain them for experience we have a shedload of experienced players on the list.

Common sense says Grimes 33 ret, Pickett 33 ret, McIntosh 31 ret, Naismith 32 ret, Martin 33 if he decides to quit.
Lately i have come around to the thinking that Rioli is wanted by Hardwick.
At age 27 Dan will be way past his best by the time we are genuine contenders again. There are only going to be so many opportunities for us to trade into early picks, I think this is the time to do it in Rioli's case.
Baker is also the time to do it. I reckon he is gone regardless.

Even with all of those just above gone go have a look at just how many experienced players we have As far as losing experience goes it certainly is not going to kill us.

People need to have a hard look at the list of mids we have and actually make the distinction between inside and outside mids. Do that little exercise
and it will become apparent why Dion Prestia is being retained.

Looking at pure points value and comparing with the Cameron and Kelly trades. Obviously Bolton is locked into another 4 years but looks like both Fremantle and West Coast should have enough picks to bid for both Baker and Bolton..

Fremantle have early picks 7,12,16 & 25 = 4,700+ points

West Coast have 3 & 23 but are likely to get pick 10 (currently) from Hawthorn if they trade Barrass = 4,400+ points

Future picks available too..

Carmeron age was 27 and was traded for picks 13,15 & 20 = 3200+ points with 2 future 2nd round picks coming back (1400+ points) = Deal value was 1,800+ points at the time.

Tim Kelly was 25 and went for pick 14,24,37 = 3,600+ with a 3rd and future 3rd back (400+ ponts) = Deal value was 3,200+ points at the time.

Bolton heading to Freo I reckon maybe Baker. Maybe the compensation for Barass for eagles comes to us for Baker.

And Kelly hasn’t won Mark of the year, nor kicked almost 2 goals a game for his career. Your point?
Folks saying Shai is a way better player than Kelly, are probably under rating Kelly. Shai's best is definitely higher than Kelly. His low points though are far too common, and significantly lower than the highs.

Bolton is actually a required player unlike others who have been spoken about. We have young cover for Rioli and im using whatever pick we get on a mid who is likely going to be better than Baker as a mid.

Name the small forward on our list who is anywhere close to Bolton in this role. Our current crop of young small/medium forwards don't exactly have ya brimming full of confidence.