2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Be amazed if that happens. If we are worried about salary cap and experience we would keep Shai and/or Dan - they are both long term contracted after all.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to essentially swap out a Rioli for Oliver. Especially culture and role model wise.

Reckon we would look to re-engineer current long term contracts i.e. Hopper/Taranto, Short etc to front load them. Will make the pain a lot less down the track if they are underperforming or injured at the back end of the deals. Would also give us additional flexibility by freeing even more money up through say 27,28,29 to chase free agents or trade picks out to get mature stars in.
Also helps TT and Hops.
If we move out Baker Shai and Rioli (maybe Graham too) then we've gutted the core around those 2.
By the end of next season they'd be the last standing over 26.

OK so 4.

Dow then has to go,

Who do you think is the most likely after that

For me

Pickett should stay, for father son insurance .

That leaves Kmac

So Dow and Kmac leaves us with 6 picks

Yeah, Dow plus one of K-Mac/Pickett gives 6 picks as you say. Then Dan and Shai or possibles.

Young would be harsh off a knee and Sonsie lucky to be contracted or an easy delisting.

Shame Gray got injured as we haven't found out enough about him. We also need to play Blight to see what he has at the top level which will determine if he gets a contract for next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, Dow plus one of K-Mac/Pickett gives 6 picks as you say. Then Dan and Shai or possibles.

Young would be harsh off a knee and Sonsie lucky to be contracted or an easy delisting.

Shame Gray got injured as we haven't found out enough about him. We also need to play Blight to see what he has at the top level which will determine if he gets a contract for next year.
As an aside Marlion had to enter a plea in a court in WA today. He didn't have to appear but his not guilty plea was entered.

Has to appear in a District Court in October evidently

Reactions: 2 users
OK so 4.

Dow then has to go,

Who do you think is the most likely after that

For me

Pickett should stay, for father son insurance .

That leaves Kmac

So Dow and Kmac leaves us with 6 picks

Realistically, MRJ should be a strong candidate for delisting (or trading if he has any sort of currency at all). And I reckon he should go before Dow.

Has he been re-signed beyond 2024? If his name wasn't Rioli, he would have been off the list years ago.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
As an aside Marlion had to enter a plea in a court in WA today. He didn't have to appear but his not guilty plea was entered.

Has to appear in a District Court in October evidently
I’m not sure whether all Australian courts are the same.
Being a law abiding upstanding citizen wh has never been caught for much.

Is the District Court a court a higher court than the Local Court? With higher penalties, if found guilty applied there?
Is it the amount allegedly stolen that changes which court has juridiction?

Is the District Court a court a higher court than the Local Court? With higher penalties, if found guilty applied there?
I heard it on the ABC radio news and the report said “due to the seriousness of the charges it will be heard in a district court”

Looping in @Redford to assist Willos.

He is "VERY" familiar with the judicial process.

• Haha
Looping in @Redford to assist Willos.

He is "VERY" familiar with the judicial process.
donald duck disney GIF by Boven Webdesign

Is he athletic as well Leysey? Who is who?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Evidently a district court in WA is a county court in Victoria

• Wow

District court is in between the Supreme Court and the Local Court (called the Magistrates Court in some States). The amount would be taken into account but I suspect its the "aggravated" nature of the burglary that pushes it to the higher court. This means there was a weapon involved or some other aggravating factor (e.g. they knew someone was in the premises at the time etc)

Strange isn’t it? Why wouldn’t all the state courts be the same? Go figure.

Only Victoria calls the middle court a County Court. All other states call it the District Court. Tassie doesn't even have a middle court.

We have the below OOC for next year
Contracted Year end#FirstSurname
20247LiamBaker
202438NoahCumberland
202427ThomsonDow
202434JackGraham
202448SteelyGreen
20242DylanGrimes
20244DustinMartin
202433KamdynMcIntosh
202424SamNaismith
202450MarlionPickett
20243DionPrestia
202410MauriceRioli Jnr
202449KalebSmith
2024 Rookie44SethCampbell
2024 CAT B Rookie39Mate'Colina
2024 Rookie26MatthewCoulthard
2024 Rookie36JamesTrezise
2024 Rookie42MykeltiLefau
2024 Rookie51JacobBlight
2024 Rookie52CampbellGray

We have the below OOC for next year
Contracted Year end#FirstSurname
20247LiamBaker
202438NoahCumberland
202427ThomsonDow
202434JackGraham
202448SteelyGreen
20242DylanGrimes
20244DustinMartin
202433KamdynMcIntosh
202424SamNaismith
202450MarlionPickett
20243DionPrestia
202410MauriceRioli Jnr
202449KalebSmith
2024 Rookie44SethCampbell
2024 CAT B Rookie39Mate'Colina
2024 Rookie26MatthewCoulthard
2024 Rookie36JamesTrezise
2024 Rookie42MykeltiLefau
2024 Rookie51JacobBlight
2024 Rookie52CampbellGray

Gone: (delist/retired)

Cumberland
Grimes
Naismith
Colina
Coulthard
Pickett (could tolerate a 1 year deal if Bolton and Daniel leave)
Martin (retired or traded, can't see him back next year)

Traded:

Baker
Graham
(plus potentially Bolton and Drioli)

Recontract:
Dow
Green
McIntosh
Prestia
MRJ
Smith
Campbell
Trezise
Lefau
Blight
Gray

That's potentially up to 11 coming off the list which is massive.

hmmm... there was talk Lefau was on the verge of signing on for another 2 years. We were supposedly going to hear of it officially within weeks, this was over 2 months ago...

I'm aware that drafts are inconsistent with talent.

But you can't take 5 mids in this draft, and play them all in the midfield for significant minutes. You're going to have to put them in other places. Which may stunt their development.
Or, you may go for positional need because you have so many picks, and miss out on talent.
I imagine if we trade out a lot of senior talent, we're going to have a gap in our 23-26yo group. Which will hurt later. It will also make us more likely to have early picks next year, in which case we don't need to grab all the pieces in one year. We'll still have access to high end talent next year.
You only need to look at North Melbourne as a sign of what trading out your prime age group can do to your list and success rate.
I agree we won't take five mids in the draft, in part perhaps because of what you've said but also because our KPF situation is dire. We desperately need a couple of talls that aren't long shot project rookies. Now from what I understand, this is a draft heavy with top ten mids and late first round, early second round quality talls. This should dovetail perfectly with our draft hand as no doubt some of our picks (assuming everything went to plan) would fall in that later range. So there should be no 'reach' so to speak.

Also using North as a cautionary tale may become dated sooner than you think (especially if they beat us as many expect them to do this weekend). There is serious improvement in that team, and with another top 3 pick on the way they should make serious strides next year. Also I would note until recently it was the cautionary tale of North 'and' Hawthorn, but the later has been seemingly quietly dropped as an example by those warning what can happen when too much experience is traded out. Now they are out of the top 8 only by percentage.

For all that I don't have an issue with spreading the picks out over two drafts as you have suggested, if both drafts have the same level and depth of talent. However, if this years is unambiguously better then it's a no brainer, we go all guns blazing.

Gone: (delist/retired)

Cumberland
Grimes
Naismith
Colina
Coulthard
Pickett (could tolerate a 1 year deal if Bolton and Daniel leave)
Martin (retired or traded, can't see him back next year)

Traded:

Baker
Graham
(plus potentially Bolton and Drioli)

Recontract:
Dow
Green
McIntosh
Prestia
MRJ
Smith
Campbell
Trezise
Lefau
Blight
Gray

That's potentially up to 11 coming off the list which is massive.
Pretty good summary and I think on the money.

Ordinarily we are not likely to get good value for these trades but the teams we are trading with have an excess of early draft pics, so we are good things to get a much better deal than usual

If the three players are traded (I'll leave Graham aside for now).
D Rioli - GC (they have picks 6, 11, 20, 26, 37, 47, 73) ,Bolton & Baker - Freo | WC (Freo 7, 12, 16, 25, 61) (WC 3, 23, 59)
We have 9 picks - 1, 21, 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68
If we get 4-6 picks for these three trades, we will have way too many - perhaps we might get some future picks.
Best for us ..
1. Would we take 6 and 20 and a future 1st for Rioli and say 54, 57, 63 and 68) (I like a future first as likely to be a top 10 pic)
2. Bolton to WCE for 3 and future first) give back 41
3. Baker to Freo for 7 and 25 (maybe return 39)

Leaves us with 1,3,6,7,20,21,36,39* and two future firsts - 7 to 8 pics (4 in top 7)

Perhaps I am too biased to us here but we do hold the whip hand in all of these negotiations

• Love
Pretty good summary and I think on the money.

Ordinarily we are not likely to get good value for these trades but the teams we are trading with have an excess of early draft pics, so we are good things to get a much better deal than usual

If the three players are traded (I'll leave Graham aside for now).
D Rioli - GC (they have picks 6, 11, 20, 26, 37, 47, 73) ,Bolton & Baker - Freo | WC (Freo 7, 12, 16, 25, 61) (WC 3, 23, 59)
We have 9 picks - 1, 21, 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68
If we get 4-6 picks for these three trades, we will have way too many - perhaps we might get some future picks.
Best for us ..
1. Would we take 6 and 20 and a future 1st for Rioli and say 54, 57, 63 and 68) (I like a future first as likely to be a top 10 pic)
2. Bolton to WCE for 3 and future first) give back 41
3. Baker to Freo for 7 and 25 (maybe return 39)

Leaves us with 1,3,6,7,20,21,36,39* and two future firsts - 7 to 8 pics (4 in top 7)

Perhaps I am too biased to us here but we do hold the whip hand in all of these negotiations
Good work with all those trades.
But I think you’re being too optimistic with what we’d get for our players. But I could be wrong as well.
I don’t believe we’d get 2 x 1st rounders and a low 2nd for Rioli. It’s just too much. Maybe. Future 1st and 20 (which will move down a couple of spots)
For Bolton and pick 41, pick 3 and a future 1st . Sorry. WC could just split pick 3 for a pair of mid 1sts.
For Baker and maybe 39, pick 7 and 25. Pick 7 alone would be fairly high.

Good effort, but I highly doubt it, I’d love you to be right, but no.

I wouldn't be taking future firsts from GC, Hawks or Freo. They'll all be back end of first round I think.
I'd take a bet on Geelong, Adelaide, WC, Kangas will ascend, but could still be bottom half depending on their trades etc. Essendon tough to gauge. St Kilda, happily take their picks.