2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

There is no way known, under any circumstances Rioli should be traded, same goes for Bolton

Baker and Graham should be encouraged to leave

That will give us heaps of draft picks , one of which I would add to Hopper to move him on, he is and will continue to be a disaster

Reactions: 1 user
Just a theory ,but if bakes goes and so does Rioli and Bolton ,and Dusty retires ,that leaves a large hole in our salary cap ,although Dusty was probably more front ended .
Are we planning a move on Oliver or something ,because with those l have mentioned gone,we would have close to 3m in salary cap space .
I can't see Graham going if all those above leave.

Pick purchasing is expected to come in next year - trading salary cap space for picks ..

Also trading 2 years of picks is coming in...

Balta needs to be re-signed as he's a fee agent next year - so could also front load his contract if extended....

With Bolton and Rioli (if they were to leave) as they are contracted there is the option of paying a percentage their salary for next year for another high pick... Fremantle and Gold Coast would be pretty tight in their salary caps one suspects...

So potentially trading Rioli, Bolton and Baker and trading Salary Cap space going forward Richmond could lock in multiple first round picks through 24/25/26 before Tasmania comes in to the draft in 27...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
It will only be for the short-term - Your boy Mick Jagga will be a Rising Star, B&F and Brownlow medalist with us by end of his first contract in 27' and we'll need to pay him millions.

In all seriousness, Balta out of contract end of next year (definately - he will have massive demand so his next contract will be big) and hopefully Gibcus, plus some of our current young players along with the potential raft of 2024 early draftees will all be looking for raises in the next few years.

Add that to what POsh said about being able to trade out cap space for picks - really don't think it will be an issue. In fact a positive.

If, and this is a big if, both Bakes and Bolton ask to join Freo, they may also have a problem with their cap. We might be able to get a better draft hand by paying some of their wages, particularly over the next 2 years. Freo have Brayshaw coming out of contract next year and also have several of their better players already signed up on long term deals and brought Jackson over on a big contract too.

If we were to pay say $500k of their salary, would we be able to get their 3 firsts this year, plus their 1st next year and maybe give them a few later picks back this year?

Lets say something like 7,12,16 and a F1 for Bakes, Shai, Salary cap relief, 36 and 41, maybe even 54 too (ie. give them back their R2 and R3 that we own and WC's R3).

Without even considering a trade for GC's 1st, or Brisbane's 1st, we could have 1, 7, 12, 16 and 21, and an extra 1st for next year.

I still reckon Collingwood or Melbourne, maybe even Sydney might make an offer for Lynchy. A team that is in contention but needs KF firepower. Firepower doesn't come any bigger. If it happens, would be a good pick and we pay half his wage. I'd say it probably won't happen, but it could.
Nah he isn't reliable enough for them to offer a decent pick.
They would only offer a bag of chips and for us that obviously wouldn't work.

Reactions: 1 users
So lets assume , the following players go, and the rest are re contracted

Naismith, Cumberland, Coulthard, Colina , Grimes delisted thats 5 easy ones

Martin, Baker leave

I think we should delist Dow, but don't think we will unfortunately

Leysey has said Gray and Blight are extras, and Colina is cat b

So I reckon we have 5 list spots to fill if we do the above

Without even considering a trade for GC's 1st, or Brisbane's 1st, we could have 1, 7, 12, 16 and 21, and an extra 1st for next year.

Exciting times Posh. List will look a lot different in a few months time.

So lets assume , the following players go, and the rest are re contracted

Naismith, Cumberland, Coulthard, Colina , Grimes delisted thats 5 easy ones

Martin, Baker leave

I think we should delist Dow, but don't think we will unfortunately

Leysey has said Gray and Blight are extras, and Colina is cat b

So I reckon we have 5 list spots to fill if we do the above

More will go - but if we do as your example says Niko -

That would give us 4 picks across both drafts. Not enough.

Remember we are also 2 over for lost spots from mid season draft and Colina doesn't take a spot on the list.

There is no way known, under any circumstances Rioli should be traded, same goes for Bolton

Baker and Graham should be encouraged to leave

That will give us heaps of draft picks , one of which I would add to Hopper to move him on, he is and will continue to be a disaster
I get the Rioli love, I share it also.

But Bolton seems less ‘heart and soul’ to me.

Reactions: 3 users
I get the Rioli love, I share it also.

But Bolton seems less ‘heart and soul’ to me.
I wonder if Bolton would be less ‘heart and soul’ playing for Richmond in 2025 if he requests a trade to Fremantle at the end of the season and Richmond holds him to his contract...

I'm happy to cash in on Shai. Think we can only afford to lose one of Daniel or Bakes. Both leaders, popular teammates. Ideally we keep both but heaven forbid we lose both in the same year.

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if Bolton would be less ‘heart and soul’ playing for Richmond in 2025 if he requests a trade to Fremantle at the end of the season and Richmond holds him to his contract...
If wants to leave.
We should ask for a 'Tim Kelly' type trade so regardless what he does at Fremantle we have come on top.
I don't want any of them if they don't want to wear our jumper.
Fingers crossed we nail 2 or 3 kids.
A Wardlaw & Sneezel would be unbelievable

Reactions: 1 users
Nah he isn't reliable enough for them to offer a decent pick.
They would only offer a bag of chips and for us that obviously wouldn't work.
Like I said, it probably won't happen, but it could. From their end, would depend on picks, list spots, being in the window, from our end it would be how attractive is the pick. Everyone is aware he injury prone, everyone is also aware when fit he is as commanding a fwd presence as you can get, and a big game gun. They'd be thinking they'll get 10 games a season, anything more is a bonus.

If I'm Melbourne or Sydney and I'm imagining going into finals with Ben Brown, JVR, / McDonald, Amarty and there is the possibility of going in with T. Lynch, with half his wage paid, I'm having a long think, and offering a late first round.

I don't think it will happen, and if some of these rumours are true, we'll have picks coming out of our ears anyway and won't need to entertain such whacky ideas.

Just a theory ,but if bakes goes and so does Rioli and Bolton ,and Dusty retires ,that leaves a large hole in our salary cap ,although Dusty was probably more front ended .
Are we planning a move on Oliver or something ,because with those l have mentioned gone,we would have close to 3m in salary cap space .
I can't see Graham going if all those above leave.
I don't want Oliver near our footy club. Awesome player but he has serious issues .

I don't know if any of this happens or not but if it did and we ended with lots of early picks but also a big handful of later picks as well I would consider doing two things
1. Getting some of the picks in trades in the 2025 draft so that we end up with a strong hand next year as well
2. Looking at one of two talented 20-24 year olds struggling at successful clubs to get a game. They don't have to cost the farm, players of the ilk of Newman, Hewett, Acres who have helped to rebuild Carlton as an example.

We don't have to do it all with 18-19 year olds and we need some seasoned players around the place.

I'm aware that drafts are inconsistent with talent.

But you can't take 5 mids in this draft, and play them all in the midfield for significant minutes. You're going to have to put them in other places. Which may stunt their development.
Unless we're somehow getting all the top 10 draft picks there's no doubt other clubs will be picking up some of the gun mids, plus the fact that some of these kids will develop at different speeds and be inconsistent in their first few seasons
Or, you may go for positional need because you have so many picks, and miss out on talent.
Draft is supposedly deep on talent, mids early n talls a smidge later so not all that relevant.
I imagine if we trade out a lot of senior talent, we're going to have a gap in our 23-26yo group. Which will hurt later. It will also make us more likely to have early picks next year, in which case we don't need to grab all the pieces in one year. We'll still have access to high end talent next year.
You only need to look at North Melbourne as a sign of what trading out your prime age group can do to your list and success rate.
The senior talent we're discussing trading is in the 26 to 28 bracket rather than 23 to 26. If we're going full rebuild then it'll be good having a few more early picks next year as well.
#Lolnorf actually pushed out their senior leaders after several years of unsuccessful finals which had already left them with a crop of mediocre mid draft youngsters who were then unable to step beyond serviceable to elite ( wonder where I'm seeing that at the moment ). Apart from a fairly recent handful of premium picks they've been fairly abysmal with their picks / trades / coaching since the Scotty dog cleaned out their list toward the end of his tenure. Classic example of how not to do things.

More will go - but if we do as your example says Niko -

That would give us 4 picks across both drafts. Not enough.

Remember we are also 2 over for lost spots from mid season draft and Colina doesn't take a spot on the list.

OK so 4.

Dow then has to go,

Who do you think is the most likely after that

For me

Pickett should stay, for father son insurance .

That leaves Kmac

So Dow and Kmac leaves us with 6 picks

Every chance Dow stays if Baker and DRioli and Shai go.

Imagine that.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users