2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Yes, we need young talent and it is likely that players like DRioli are unlikely to be around for our next bout of contending.

But it is players like DRioli who set the example and show what needs to be done to get to the highest level. Without the likes of Rioli we are reducing our chances of developing the young players into a premiership team.

Sure, I could live with trading Short and Graham, their effectiveness is questionable. I would like to keep Baker but if he really wants to go then we shouldn't stand in his way, just make sure we get a good deal and that Bakes is on side to support us in getting a good deal.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
If we get Stengle we'd lose compo for Graham.
Ptus I dont get the logic of trading out our experienced 27yo to bring in a 26yo.
Lets draft someone better

Reactions: 1 user
If we get Stengle we'd lose compo for Graham.
Ptus I dont get the logic of trading out our experienced 27yo to bring in a 26yo.
Lets draft someone better
Stengle is AA quality. He has 4-5 yrs left. Effectively a swap. Stengle is ready to go and would be a great result.

Reactions: 3 users
This trade draft could make or break the future of the club for the next 6 -8 years.

They need to get it right or the RFC could well find itself in the abyss for a prolonged period.

Its highly dispiriting what has happened to this footy club the past 18 months.

As we know if you trade out too many senior types at once you become very vulnerable.
But we've never really done this much, not since Deledio. But circumstances are very different now.
It feels the right time to let at least one favourite go.

Reactions: 2 users
Is Dogwick stupid?
For sure he left the best football club didnt he.
But the Tiges list is stinky and full of holes.
So he can sum up football numbers. He wants Dusty and The Prince.
Lets keep them

we could make it clear that Noah Cumberland comes with any trade with any of our players to GCS?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Who knows? For all the fan n meedjia trade waffle it may be that Bakes is the only player that leaves n goes home so not much trade rebuilding goes on at all.

Last few years with Bash n Ass berry, Shedda, Cotch, Jaaack all retiring and now Grub, Prestygiocomo, Lynchman n the Dusty one all pretty much with one foot in the retirement camp. We're not only losing our senior leadership but also a raft of champion players in a big hurry. Club might simply have no interest in shifting out any other already contracted players.

Serious first-up performance. If we can't have Vontae, he's our man.
Lalor also had a 42 disposal 2 goal game 9 marks 12 clearances 7 tackle game for Grammar before the coates game,,Grammar lost by 10 goals .
I forgot to add that.

Lalor also had a 42 disposal 2 goal game 9 marks 12 clearances 7 tackle game for Grammar before the coates game,,Grammar lost by 10 goals .
I forgot to add that.

whilst its certainly better to get 42 than 12,

do you reckon school footy is much of a guide?

whilst its certainly better to get 42 than 12,

do you reckon school footy is much of a guide?
I never use to,but there is a large amount of coates player's in the school system these days .
I think it was Snakey who said a while back,the school system mainly in VIC is becoming like America with their college football,,l think he is right.
Also when you get 42 disposals and get 2 goals in a side that was obviously being dominated ,is a impressive effort.

this is my current best available top 10 if I was picking for Richmond. Its very flawed, there's heaps of prospects I havnt seen play and a lot of water to go under the fridge.

Bo Allen tenuously currently based on familiarity? and I need to find a No.11, because GCS match Lombard. I rate Ashcroft and smilie 10-20 and havnt seen camporales play at all?

1. Finn O'Sullivan
2. Jagga Smith
3. Sid Draper
4. Leo Lombard (GCS)
5. Tom Sims
6. Luke Traynor
7. Sam Lalor
8. Malachi Champion
9. Tom Gross
10. Bo Allen

im starting to think WA is the place to find smalls, Country Vic the place for powerful mids, Melbourne the place for KPP's and The Allies the place for Gold Coast and Sydney players

this strange footballing provenance could boil down to Noongars, Mutton and Money?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
this is my current best available top 10 if I was picking for Richmond. Its very flawed, there's heaps of prospects I havnt seen play and a lot of water to go under the fridge.

Bo Allen tenuously currently based on familiarity? and I need to find a No.11, because GCS match Lombard. I rate Ashcroft and smilie 10-20 and havnt seen camporales play at all?

1. Finn O'Sullivan
2. Jagga Smith
3. Sid Draper
4. Leo Lombard (GCS)
5. Tom Sims
6. Luke Traynor
7. Sam Lalor
8. Malachi Champion
9. Tom Gross
10. Bo Allen

im starting to think WA is the place to find smalls, Country Vic the place for powerful mids, Melbourne the place for KPP's and The Allies the place for Gold Coast and Sydney players

this strange footballing provenance could boil down to Noongars, Mutton and Money?
To me it's a batte between Lalor/Fos and Smillie for the top 3,,a blanket over quite a few for the remaining 1st round,,any one who says there is no depth in this years draft ,doesn't watch enough or doesn't understand junior football...
We need to get at least 5 picks in the first two rounds,,as long as Toce isn't like Clarke and goes for nice types,thank god FJ is still around to give a opinion.

To me it's a batte between Lalor/Fos and Smillie for the top 3,,a blanket over quite a few for the remaining 1st round,,any one who says there is no depth in this years draft ,doesn't watch enough or doesn't understand junior football...
We need to get at least 5 picks in the first two rounds,,as long as Toce isn't like Clarke and goes for nice types,thank god FJ is still around to give a opinion.

Yeah agree - Hopefully Toce is more like Frank in the respect he's happy to take a risk to get a star/champion.

Clarke was way too geared towards vanilla footballers.

Give us a look at your current top 10 when youve got a minute?

I did mine as a bit of a combo best 10 players available that i would like to hear Toce call out there names (e.g. smilie is generally consesus best 10, but i excluded him because theres 10 players id rather at richmond)

On reflection though, think id take smilie over bo allen so he probably is my current no.10

Geez. The way some are going on about our players n trades anyone would think we're reaming out a bunch of 23 to 25 y.o. champions.
Bakes starts next year as a 27 y.o. absolute head n heart competitor for us, but there's a go home factor n best position is small defender n general helper wherever needed.
Fridge starts next year as a 27 y.o. regularly injured head n heart competitor, but there's also a go home factor n not really a defined midfield role besides chaser n harasser.
Sausage early next year is 29 y.o. got some dodgy feet issues and an excellent rebounding defender / line breaker. Not much chance of him still being a player at our next run of finals.
Broady early next year turns 32y.o. ultra reliable defender, another head n heart competitor for us, but also getting very close to the end of a mighty Tiger career n no chance of still being a player at our next finals run unless it's 2025.
Throw in the Dusty one as well, just turned 33 y.o. n what can one say about the great ones career that would do it justice. Got extremely limited time left on his magnificent career, but unless we somehow orchestrate a massive run into finals 2025, there's not much else happening.

If any of these players are even remotely interested in shifting clubs for one last fling at finals, or to simply go back home to finish their careers. Then for mine it's Ta muchly for your wonderful n joyful efforts on behalf of the club n me, we'll help you get to where you want to finish up n get as much regeneration value as we can in the process.
Rioli just turned 27. In the absolute prime of career.

1. Finn O'Sullivan
2. Jagga Smith
3. Sid Draper
4. Leo Lombard (GCS)
5. Tom Sims
6. Luke Traynor
7. Sam Lalor
8. Malachi Champion
9. Tom Gross
10. Bo Allen

Welcome aboard the Vontae Train! Agree on Ashcroft, I have him around 10.

I'll go (for us):

1. Vontae O'Cotchin
2. Sam Lalor
3. Leo Lombard
4. Sid Draper
5. Bo Allan
6. Tom Sims
7. Guy Smillie
8. Jagga Smith
9. Taj Hotton
10. Levi Ashcroft
11. Malakai Champion
12. Luke Trainor

I have Allan at 5 on perceived upside. 19 disposals against Metro, but 10 score involvements and 2 goals. New to the midfield. Powerful, fast, hard at it inside and links up. Wait til he gets the hang of it.