2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Reckon I'd be mighty happy if we can find four or five 100 gamers to go alongside the champions and then maybe 5 or 6 busts. Gotta have a decent second tier to support n role play for the champs.
If we get four champions we can trade in anyone else we need. But yeah, drafting them would be better.

It’s not about busts.
It’s about who will become game changing elite.
Cripps at pick 13, Fyfe at 26, Dusty at 3, Reid at 1.
The pressure is on finding the next champions.
And we need a couple
On the other side of that you need to try and miss Lennon at pick 12, the 5 in 30, Higgins, Gilmore .

Taking your logic further, perhaps we should have traded Dusty in 22 and delisted Cotchin and Jack to save money?
I prefer my club full of 300 game players and club legends.
Others gauge success by cups in a closet.
I’m old school though and can’t connect to a club that views its players as expendable cattle.
Chance of winning a Premiership shouldn’t be the only reason to hang onto players.
As i and others have said, there’s also a thing called culture.
You don’t win Premierships without it
Any player mentioned have/will be pushed out by the club?

Last edited:
I heard Cal Twomey say he planning to do a 'consensus' first round. Interesting exercise, wouldn't be easy I'd imagine. I've always said that even if a player is a bust, you can't really call it a botched pick if every other side would have done the same thing. And also, if most sides would have picked player A, but we pick player B, and player B is better, they are the most inspired picks.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with both points of view.

I wouldn’t trade him but you are absolutely right that he would be a better player in a top team.

He'll still be a very good player for us through that time. He needs a stable midfield behind him to allow him to do his thing forward of centre, he hasn't had that this season, but if we get a couple of good midfielders in the draft then we are building that. He needs that protection behind him, much like Dusty did through those premiership years.

Reactions: 4 users
I can't see how we could get Lalor without trading out Bakes or Rioli. Maybe if we traded future picks.

I suspect Bakes and Graham will leave, and I reckon our 2nd will be on the table as part of a deal with the Suns.

I reckon our targets will be 2 of those Freo 1sts, not sure if we get all 3 and give something back, 1 of the Suns picks and or the Lions pick (which will likely be a teen pick, they will make finals for sure now).

We need to trade hard and get 5 picks inside 20-25, which I think is possible, but obviously as you say, only if 1 or 2 players leave.

Its all going to come down to what the AFL do regarding the bidding system and which year it impacts.

Reactions: 2 users
I reckon the only way to get both FOS and Lalor will be to have two top-3 picks. That would require some creative horse trading.

Reactions: 1 users
I suspect Bakes and Graham will leave, and I reckon our 2nd will be on the table as part of a deal with the Suns.

I reckon our targets will be 2 of those Freo 1sts, not sure if we get all 3 and give something back, 1 of the Suns picks and or the Lions pick (which will likely be a teen pick, they will make finals for sure now).

We need to trade hard and get 5 picks inside 20-25, which I think is possible, but obviously as you say, only if 1 or 2 players leave.

Its all going to come down to what the AFL do regarding the bidding system and which year it impacts.
The problem is that the jungle drums beating are that Baker is more likely to want to go to the Eagles than the Dockers who have the picks.
If he goes of course.