2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I d

I Doubt we’re getting 10 & 13. If it happens, I imagine it’s more 10 & 20
Great.
We can then recruit Phillipou and R.C.D
All it will cost us is one of the best running defenders in the league.
And a Rioli to boot.
Yeah sounds good to me

Reactions: 4 users
Great.
And a Rioli to boot.
Yeah sounds good to me
This is my thinking. I think a lot of people don't grasp how good he is, and how important his role is. Dimma ain't stupid.

Reactions: 6 users
Is Dogwick stupid?
For sure he left the best football club didnt he.
But the Tiges list is stinky and full of holes.
So he can sum up football numbers. He wants Dusty and The Prince.
Lets keep them

Reactions: 1 users
I hope everyone is allowing us to leave some leadership in the club rather than trading it out?
Otherwise we’ll be rooted at the bottom of the ladder for the next 10yrs like Carlton and North Melbourne have been.
Number 1 draft picks won’t buy you a Premiership in the short term. You need a balanced list.
1 Taranto.
2. Bolton.
3. Rioli.
4. Baker.
5. Hopper ( hopefully )
6. Nankervis.
7. Balta.
These players should form the cultural base to build the club around. That’s not a large number of senior players.
This.

Rioli and Baker and Broad.
Run all day, even when we're pumped and miserable and useless. Its these 3 that give options and try try try again.
Take risks, take the game on, who dares wins.
And they're fit. Train hard. Front up.
This is where the culture starts.

Trade these out and we're left with Kmac to set training and commitment standards.
No offence to Kamdyn but posters want him delisted.
Picks are good, i want picks. But we keep standards first.
Must front up

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Great.
And a Rioli to boot.
Yeah sounds good to me
I didn’t say we should do it.

I’m in the keep Rioli try to trade short camp

We are looking down the barrel of pick 1 next year if we trade out Bolton, Rioli, Baker, Graham or 3 of those 4. A 2 year spread of high picks is great but let’s understand what it will mean week to week - getting flogged and rebuilding culture. I can see us getting pick 1 off norf if all those trades go through.

Reactions: 1 user
We will likely get pick 1 this year and next year..on our own.
No need to throw away good players.
We will have x6 good young draft picks to add to our current playing side...
That will be a good base for the years to follow...success will come again but it will take some years.
If we trade away young guns now we will be rubbish for many years.

Reactions: 8 users
If we lose 2 really good 25-27 yo

And pick up 2 really good 18yos, out of say 5 good picks,

I think that leaves us ahead, given when our next premiership window lies

And we could pick up 3-4 really good 18yos and be way ahead

Riolis nearly bald and bakers a midget anyway

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
This.

Rioli and Baker and Broad.
Run all day, even when we're pumped and miserable and useless. Its these 3 that give options and try try try again.
Take risks, take the game on, who dares wins.
And they're fit. Train hard. Front up.
This is where the culture starts.

Trade these out and we're left with Kmac to set training and commitment standards.
No offence to Kamdyn but posters want him delisted.
Picks are good, i want picks. But we keep standards first.
Must front up

The more Leysy thinks about how we play it, the more Leysy is thinking that way.

What you're saying Dell, is if it comes down to our choice of experienced players, you'd trade Shai and Short?

Which is probably fair enough - for the reasons you outlined.

Unfortunately it's not out choice with Bakes.

If he leaves I'm hoping he gets offered enough money / length of contract to get Band 3 compo (straight after our 2nd).

That will turn out to be about pick 30.

Doubt very much he will get an offer to trigger that though unfort.

He'll get an offer, but has been in decline each year since 21' and repeat injuries are coming in - Very much doubt it will be enough for band 3.

Reckon band 4 (end of 2nd) is realistically the best we can hope for - That should be a pick in the early 40's.

Reactions: 1 user
Is Dogwick stupid?
For sure he left the best football club didnt he.
But the Tiges list is stinky and full of holes.
So he can sum up football numbers. He wants Dusty and The Prince.
Lets keep them
Might be o.k. for a good side challenging, which we sure as hell aint doing for a while. So why not trade them out for as much as we can get for them?? They've already done all that anyone could ask of them at Tigerland. If they can nudge Mold Coast up into finals n perhaps even momentarily into flag contention while at the same time assisting the regeneration of the Tigers list. Isn't that the perfect win - win scenario?

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
This is my thinking. I think a lot of people don't grasp how good he is, and how important his role is. Dimma ain't stupid.
I reckon I understand how good he is.
He's one of my favorite players of the Premiership Era and just about my absolute favorite of the post Premiership Era.
But I think someone said he's 28 now? sounds about right.
I feel dirty for saying this, absolutely *smile* covered and stinking filthy, but, if your going to trade him, now's probably the time to do it.

• Dislike
Geez. The way some are going on about our players n trades anyone would think we're reaming out a bunch of 23 to 25 y.o. champions.
Bakes starts next year as a 27 y.o. absolute head n heart competitor for us, but there's a go home factor n best position is small defender n general helper wherever needed.
Fridge starts next year as a 27 y.o. regularly injured head n heart competitor, but there's also a go home factor n not really a defined midfield role besides chaser n harasser.
Sausage early next year is 28 y.o. got some dodgy feet issues and an excellent rebounding defender / line breaker. Not much chance of him still being a player at our next run of finals.
Broady early next year turns 32y.o. ultra reliable defender, another head n heart competitor for us, but also getting very close to the end of a mighty Tiger career n no chance of still being a player at our next finals run unless it's 2025.
Throw in the Dusty one as well, just turned 33 y.o. n what can one say about the great ones career that would do it justice. Got extremely limited time left on his magnificent career, but unless we somehow orchestrate a massive run into finals 2025, there's not much else happening.

If any of these players are even remotely interested in shifting clubs for one last fling at finals, or to simply go back home to finish their careers. Then for mine it's Ta muchly for your wonderful n joyful efforts on behalf of the club n me, we'll help you get to where you want to finish up n get as much regeneration value as we can in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Geez. The way some are going on about our players n trades anyone would think we're reaming out a bunch of 23 to 25 y.o. champions.
Bakes starts next year as a 27 y.o. absolute head n heart competitor for us, but there's a go home factor n best position is small defender n general helper wherever needed.
Fridge starts next year as a 27 y.o. regularly injured head n heart competitor, but there's also a go home factor n not really a defined midfield role besides chaser n harasser.
Sausage early next year is 29 y.o. got some dodgy feet issues and an excellent rebounding defender / line breaker. Not much chance of him still being a player at our next run of finals.
Broady early next year turns 32y.o. ultra reliable defender, another head n heart competitor for us, but also getting very close to the end of a mighty Tiger career n no chance of still being a player at our next finals run unless it's 2025.
Throw in the Dusty one as well, just turned 33 y.o. n what can one say about the great ones career that would do it justice. Got extremely limited time left on his magnificent career, but unless we somehow orchestrate a massive run into finals 2025, there's not much else happening.

If any of these players are even remotely interested in shifting clubs for one last fling at finals, or to simply go back home to finish their careers. Then for mine it's Ta muchly for your wonderful n joyful efforts on behalf of the club n me, we'll help you get to where you want to finish up n get as much regeneration value as we can in the process.
Taking your logic further, perhaps we should have traded Dusty in 22 and delisted Cotchin and Jack to save money?
I prefer my club full of 300 game players and club legends.
Others gauge success by cups in a closet.
I’m old school though and can’t connect to a club that views its players as expendable cattle.
Chance of winning a Premiership shouldn’t be the only reason to hang onto players.
As i and others have said, there’s also a thing called culture.
You don’t win Premierships without it

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Seems to me that we managed this era really well.

Got the big four to 300 games
Three premierships
Strong culture

Talk of trading is only if those players want to leave. I can’t see the club pushing any of them out the door. Nor can I see the club keeping them against their will.

Reactions: 8 users
Sausage early next year is 29 y.o. got some dodgy feet issues and an excellent rebounding defender / line breaker. Not much chance of him still being a player at our next run of finals.

Great post.

Taking your logic further, perhaps we should have traded Dusty in 22 and delisted Cotchin and Jack to save money?
I prefer my club full of 300 game players and club legends.
Others gauge success by cups in a closet.
I’m old school though and can’t connect to a club that views its players as expendable cattle.
Chance of winning a Premiership shouldn’t be the only reason to hang onto players.
As i and others have said, there’s also a thing called culture.
You don’t win Premierships without it
True. I'm pretty sure that we managed to get Shedda, Cotch n the Dusty one to their 300, Jaaack was already there before then. Also, if you read my full post you'd note the last little bit where I mentioned if it was the players that wanted to change clubs. Kinda just a tiny little bit relevant.

True. I'm pretty sure that we managed to get Shedda, Cotch n the Dusty one to their 300, Jaaack was already there before then. Also, if you read my full post you'd note the last little bit where I mentioned if it was the players that wanted to change clubs. Kinda just a tiny little bit relevant.
Yes we did get them to 300 but if some on here were running the club it may have been different once the winning stopped.
Thank God those people aren’t running our club.
And yes you did soften your stance at the end of your long post suggesting the decision would only be agreed on if the player requested it.
That’s obviously a given and a different set of circumstances and an unfortunate part of the footballing landscape

The more Leysy thinks about how we play it, the more Leysy is thinking that way.

What you're saying Dell, is if it comes down to our choice of experienced players, you'd trade Shai and Short?

Which is probably fair enough - for the reasons you outlined.

Unfortunately it's not out choice with Bakes.
I wouldn't trade Shai.
Matchwinners dont walk into the club everyday

We traded Lids.
Worked well for us.
Cant we do that again?
We can keep trading out all our 28yos until we win a flag. Balta soon enough, then Gibcus. Cant wait to trade Mcauliffe and get good picks.

We dont know when the next flag tilt comes. At the hawks Crawford was on the way out.
At the cats Guthrie and Duncan were over 30.
Lets keep the culture kings