2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Give us a look at your current top 10 when youve got a minute?

I did mine as a bit of a combo best 10 players available that i would like to hear Toce call out there names (e.g. smilie is generally consesus best 10, but i excluded him because theres 10 players id rather at richmond)

On reflection though, think id take smilie over bo allen so he probably is my current no.10
Mate thats tough.
I rate Lalor highly as everyone who reads this thread would know, :ROFLMAO: and have for the last 2 years ,l think he has the potential and style to do big things at AFL level.
He can be damaging at any position he plays ,mid/forward/back ,,that is a rare quality.

Smillie l see the same thing NEARLY ,l don't rate him as highly in the Midfield as Lalor ,but he is going to be good.
Fos ,is a elite kick who can do damage up forward,he will have a great career ,but not sure if it will be as damaging as the other 2.

Draper is a very good mid ,who is very attacking with his run and carry ,but is he just a Mid ,clubs look for player's these days who are versatile .
I rate the other 3 ahead of him .

Jagga,lm not a big fan ,l think he can play no doubt about that ,but isn't a physical player or very damaging ,lot's of small dinky possessions ,he does have elite endurance ,but the AFL is also a physical game ,l have my doubts about him .
I see him more as a forward ,who could pinch hit in the midfield ,l bet he is a player who will alienate recruiters.

Trainor,l think he is good type as a KP and he might be able to be a kp forward ,but at the moment he is a very good intercepting CHB which most clubs want .
Ashcroft of course would be in the top 4 but off to the Lions

After that you could throw in Gross,Lindsay,Faull,Sims,Whitlock Twins,Shanahan,some clubs might like him ,Allen , Hotton,Travaglia ,Lombard,l mean l could throw in quite a few more .
Then you are going to have the boomers ,and there are usually 1 or 2 ,who really rise up the charts from nowhere .

The one thing l do see is quite a lot of talent

Reactions: 11 users
The one thing l do see is quite a lot of talent

I think we're all in agreement on that in here?

Good timing for tigers to get to the buffett with some tickets before Tassie start dredging

I think we have almost unprecedented consensus in here this year so far?

Theres robust debate on how good Jagga and Smilie will be, but noone has em as busts?

I have jagga at 2 and smilie at 10, and i imagine you invert that? Which isnt very different

One of the deepest, clearest, pools in a while?

Reactions: 3 users

Good timing for tigers to get to the buffett with some tickets before Tassie start dredging

Theres robust debate on how good Jagga and Smilie will be, but noone has em as busts?

I have jagga at 2 and smilie at 10, and i imagine you invert that? Which isnt very different

At the moment lm interested to see what happens with Bakes,does he choose us or WC/DOCKERS ,if he chooses WC ,what do we get in return,l doubt they would give us pick 3 without us losing something else in return.,,if we got 3,l would want any combination of Lalor/Smillie/Fos with pick 2-3.

If it's the Dockers they give us a mid first round pick plus a later pick,l would go the best KP forward available at that pick .
If he chooses us well we need to haggle a bit to get earlier picks .

Busy time for Blair coming up.

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah there could be busts, and will be busts, but for me there are not any that seem obvious. Tsatas and Thompson seemed obvious to me at the time, even if the latter drifted a lot, and of course they may yet make it, but if that draft was this year the thought of drafting either with a good pick would terrify me, there are no players in that category for me this year. All the players in the frame have good credentials.

edit, Roberts not Thompson. Archie Roberts. Forgetting his name fits I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Rioli just turned 27. In the absolute prime of career.
Ahh yep, slight mistake. I had him at 28 and turning 29 April next year which is the period onward if we were to trade him this year. Doesn't alter the fact he's carried some sort of constant foot issues since he mangled it a few years back or the possibility he might hit the playing wall another 3 or 4 years after this ones finished. As with all aging players, some get cooked by 31 n some keep going till 34 n rare flukes go till 36 or so.

Ahh yep, slight mistake. I had him at 28 and turning 29 April next year which is the period onward if we were to trade him this year. Doesn't alter the fact he's carried some sort of constant foot issues since he mangled it a few years back or the possibility he might hit the playing wall another 3 or 4 years after this ones finished. As with all aging players, some get cooked by 31 n some keep going till 34 n rare flukes go till 36 or so.
His foot injury is like a James Brown limping off the stage injury. Looks bad at times, but never seems to affect his performance.

To be clear, I'd hate to lose Bakes and Daniel. Thats just me. If Bakes stays, the arguments for trading Daniel get stronger. If Bakes goes, and Daniel wants to go as well, of course I'll just have to wear it.

I'm for trading a player or players with currency to strengthen our draft hand, just not all of them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yeah there could be busts, and will be busts, but for me there are not any that seem obvious. Tsatas and Thompson seemed obvious to me at the time, even if the latter drifted a lot, and of course they may yet make it, but if that draft was this year the thought of drafting either with a good pick would terrify me, there are no players in that category for me this year. All the players in the frame have good credentials.

There will still be a number of busts in the top 10 and 20 snake eyes. Every draft has them.

Agree though with most this draft runs pretty deep at the top end.

Saying that nearly everyone also has some sort of question mark or two as well (at this stage anyway).

At the moment lm interested to see what happens with Bakes,does he choose us or WC/DOCKERS ,if he chooses WC ,what do we get in return,l doubt they would give us pick 3 without us losing something else in return.,,if we got 3,l would want any combination of Lalor/Smillie/Fos with pick 2-3.

If it's the Dockers they give us a mid first round pick plus a later pick,l would go the best KP forward available at that pick .
If he chooses us well we need to haggle a bit to get earlier picks .

Busy time for Blair coming up.

A lot can still change with picks. Especially when clubs can trade picks 2 years in advance which will likely come in this year.

Talk is that dogs will go mega hard at Barrass so that would open things up.

His worth would be pretty similar to Bakes ie pick 10 to 12.

There will still be a number of busts in the top 10 and 20 snake eyes. Every draft has them.

Agree though with most this draft runs pretty deep at the top end.

Saying that nearly everyone also has some sort of question mark or two as well (at this stage anyway).
agree

edit, Roberts not Thompson. Archie Roberts. Forgetting his name fits I guess.
It’s not about busts.
It’s about who will become game changing elite.
Cripps at pick 13, Fyfe at 26, Dusty at 3, Reid at 1.
The pressure is on finding the next champions.
And we need a couple

Reactions: 4 users
It’s not about busts.
It’s about who will become game changing elite.
Cripps at pick 13, Fyfe at 26, Dusty at 3, Reid at 1.
The pressure is on finding the next champions.
And we need a couple
Yep, if we can find four champions in the next three drafts we can have 10 busts.

1 of those kids that does phantom drafts?
He works alongside Beveridges son.
Said the AFL should forced all clubs to locked in there top 30 kids every year. So we can have a true grading what clubs actually believe the kids are rated at.
I think that's the best. It will stop 'we can't believe he was still there at pick 27 or 'he a kid that could fit in all teams'

Clubs would lock in there top 30 kids 1 minute before the draft starts and results would be out after the conclusion of the draft.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in Blair’s office right now. Not just for the impending 2024 Draft selections but moreover the thinking/strategy for the next 3 years.

Our list is completely crippled. I never thought this before, but it needs a massive overhaul due to the fact we not only have too many oldies, but we have way too many injury prone players. We’re carrying way too many risks.

Not withstanding we have a terrible S&C that I said needed a review of over 12 months ago (something a few on here didn’t agree with) we have Grimes, Lynch, Hopper, Prestia, Naismith, Graham, Colina, Bauer all of whom can not get out on the park with any regularity. Then we have young players Fawcett, MJ, Gibcus, Clarke, Young, Lefau all with major injuries. Some of them repeat major injuries. Pickett now with a calf at age 32 as well. Dusty getting soft tissue injuries. Banks and Brown - a number of injuries to date also.

Our list is out of control on the injury-risk front. Completely out of control.

To that end, I wonder if Hartley isn’t thinking this list needs a deeper and quicker upending which means we’ve gotta take a bigger bite of a *smile* sandwich, and sooner, than we thought we might have had to at the start of the year.

I’m not for trading any of Baker, Shai or Daniel. Besides their talent, their sweet spot age wise, they’re about the only guys we have that can suit up each week as well.

To that end, how do we de-risk this playing list ? I really have no idea, but what I do know is we are staring not just now, but into the future with a very very fragile looking list.

Hartley needs to be at his creative best the next few years.
Don’t think you can have it both ways , declare how crippled our list is then be adamant we can’t trade any of our assets to replenish our A grade talent

Don’t think you can have it both ways , declare how crippled our list is then be adamant we can’t trade any of our assets to replenish our A grade talent
We can’t trade Short, Graham etc ? Or even some of those younger players that are always injured if anyone wants them ? And who says we have to trade them anyway. Banks is always injured and he’s very de-Lis table at the moment. Prestia and Grimes…retired. Free up spots for draft picks and FA’s. De risk a bunch of continually injured players and go fresh.

Yeah I can have it both ways.

Last edited:
Sam Cheeseburger is suggesting any potential trade of Daniel has to include MJ. If that’s right (probably not), then that suggests Daniel has made that stipulation and therefore, must be considering a move. Again, probably piffle from Cheeseburger. We’ll see.

He’s a real eager beaver that Cheeseburger. ADD or something ?

Sam Cheeseburger is suggesting any potential trade of Daniel has to include MJ. If that’s right (probably not), then that suggests Daniel has made that stipulation and therefore, must be considering a move. Again, probably piffle from Cheeseburger. We’ll see.

He’s a real eager beaver that Cheeseburger. ADD or something ?
Won’t happen Red. The club won’t let it happen.

Yep, if we can find four champions in the next three drafts we can have 10 busts.
Reckon I'd be mighty happy if we can find four or five 100 gamers to go alongside the champions and then maybe 5 or 6 busts. Gotta have a decent second tier to support n role play for the champs.