2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Reid stuff is pure fantasy, why even talk about it,no chance to.happen.

I wouldn't trade bolton Baker and our early pick,no way in he'll absolutely not ,I fear it could become whale,Francis Jackson, teesdale all over again for John pictura

Reactions: 1 users
This draft may not have the Harley Reid’s of the world but from all accounts runs real deep.

If we are going to lose a Baker, Bolton or Graham this is the year to do it.

Graham will net us a pick around 30.

The other 2 multiple picks in the top 20.

I think we will lose Baker and Graham. And both to West Coast.

Reactions: 2 users
This draft may not have the Harley Reid’s of the world but from all accounts runs real deep.

Not so sure about that Joking Faces. There will be the obligatory “hits” from this Draft but not to the level of others I reckon, personally. Won’t know for a few years obviously. And I keep hearing this Draft is very risky at the front end too.

That’s why I said Toce has his work cut out for him. This Draft could go either way for us. Jags is an example of this. Great ? Too skinny ? Not enough impact ? Elite ? Who knows. Smillie too is creating great opinionated division. These are top 5’ers we’re talking about.

Levi the only 100% bona fide certainty in club land at the moment is what I hear - so far. That might change in 8 weeks. Often does.

Last edited:
Im guessing you are talking about the center square clearances,,if you want to improve in that area ,we need a better tap ruck.
During our premiership years,the weakest part of our side was the midfield ,
Nank is a warrior,but not the best tap ruck.
FMD. Nank in beast mode, virtually working as the brute mid after the ruck contest, causing the oppo dirty clearances at every opportunity was an integral reason for our three flags. If we could get a bit better than half a side on the paddock each week then Nank playing his role would still be keeping us winnable in games every single week.

Best ruck in the comp Gawn, with one of the best mid fields going around has all of one flag n a whole bunch of lost finals. Next best ruck in the comp Grundypants, is now at his third club n still hasn't won a flag.

Reactions: 1 user

I doubt that Graham is worth pick 30.

No idea why F/S, Vic academy or Northern academy should come under any sort of rule differentiation. Should be one standard discount offered to all clubs for any youngster falling into these categories.

Only have one issue regarding the potential changes to the points value system that is currently in place. Completely crazy to even consider changing the system mid season when all clubs in the comp, plot, plan and trade their players and picks up to a year in advance. Everyone in the comp now knows that the changes are gunna be implemented, but at least put into into play for the 2025 draft when no club will be shafted by an unforeseen mid season rule change.

Not so sure about that Joking Faces. There will be the obligatory “hits” from this Draft but not to the level of others I reckon, personally. Won’t know for a few years obviously. And I keep hearing this Draft is very risky at the front end too.

That’s why I said Toce has his work cut out for him. This Draft could go either way for us. Jags is an example of this. Great ? Too skinny ? Not enough impact ? Elite ? Who knows. Smillie too is creating great opinionated division. These are top 5’ers we’re talking about.

Levi the only 100% bona fide certainty in club land at the moment is what I hear - so far. That might change in 8 weeks. Often does.
I hear you Red. But isn’t every draft like this?

There is still along way to go before we really get a good handle on where everyone sits.

No idea why F/S, Vic academy or Northern academy should come under any sort of rule differentiation. Should be one standard discount offered to all clubs for any youngster falling into these categories.

Only have one issue regarding the potential changes to the points value system that is currently in place. Completely crazy to even consider changing the system mid season when all clubs in the comp, plot, plan and trade their players and picks up to a year in advance. Everyone in the comp now knows that the changes are gunna be implemented, but at least put into into play for the 2025 draft when no club will be shafted by an unforeseen mid season rule change.
It’s all posturing by the AFL. It won’t come in until next year.

I hear you Red. But isn’t every draft like this?

There is still along way to go before we really get a good handle on where everyone sits.
Not to this level of uncertainty I don’t think Cloking Races which was actually being called out last year if you do your research.

Scoop likes this Draft. Some others do too. Some others think it’s pretty ordinary. I’m in that camp at the moment. We’ll see. Again, there will be the obligatories, but personally I don’t see the depth of them compared to other Drafts.

Think there’s been better Drafts. Staying positive however. We might strike gold !

Not to this level of uncertainty I don’t think Cloking Races which was actually being called out last year if you do your research.

Scoop likes this Draft. Some others do too. Some others think it’s pretty ordinary. I’m in that camp at the moment. We’ll see. Again, there will be the obligatories, but personally I don’t see the depth of them compared to other Drafts.

Staying positive .We might strike gold though !
Stay positive!! You have killed all my hope Redmond.
Might have to head over to the Samson thread for some r&r.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

This is my take. I think it has star power at the top end. I see depth. Murphy Reid at 15????? Value plus.

Spooky called it 1,8,15,19, 23 is the draft hand we want.

Think there’s been better Drafts. Staying positive however. We might strike gold !
I agree with you on the lack of the Star power. Smillie might be Patrick Cripps in three years but he might be a poor mans Brock McLean. FOS might be a Chimp clone or a skilful Tsatas. The ceilings are there but the gap to the floor is wider. But I’m convinced there’s depth. We aren’t that far apart.

This is my take. I think it has star power at the top end. I see depth. Murphy Reid at 15????? Value plus.

Spooky called it 1,8,15,19, 23 is the draft hand we want.
I think you’ve got Murphy Reid a bit overrated.

He’s ok but value at 15 ? Think he’s 15 and beyond. Didn’t really see that much genuine effectiveness v the Allies.

Maybe he’s a later developer but think there’s others better at 15 or so.

So Chuck Ralph reckons GC have offered up 2 1st round draft picks for Daniel. Hmmmm. Might take that with a grain of salt given Chuck's history. But lets entertain it for a minute on the basis that for once in his life he has something right.

That would mean 2 of GC's 3 first round picks that they have. Their own (currently 7 before bids), the Bulldogs' (currently 8 before bids) and Norf's end of 1st round compo pick (currently 20 before bids).

No doubt GC would be offering the Dog's and Norf picks if Ralph is correct for once. But what would the club, or the great minds of PRE think if GC and the Dogs' picks were put on the table ? What are they likley to be....about 10 and 13 or so ?

So Chuck Ralph reckons GC have offered up 2 1st round draft picks for Daniel. Hmmmm. Might take that with a grain of salt given Chuck's history. But lets entertain it for a minute on the basis that for once in his life he has something right.

That would mean 2 of GC's 3 first round picks that they have. Their own (currently 7 before bids), the Bulldogs' (currently 8 before bids) and Norf's end of 1st round compo pick (currently 20 before bids).

No doubt GC would be offering the Dog's and Norf picks if Ralph is correct for once. But what would the club, or the great minds of PRE think if GC and the Dogs' picks were put on the table ? What are they likley to be....about 10 and 13 or so ?
how good are DRiolis ankles ?

• Haha