2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

@Carter has campaigned strongly to trade Shai to Freo for draft picks. They currently hold 11 (Poort's), 14 (theirs) and 15 (Collingwood's). The Poort one might even finish in the top-10.

I've been dead agin' it, and I think I still am.

But I saw this video the other day about the Boston Celtics trading out Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry, for the Nets' first-round picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018. At the time it was described as one of the worst trades ever. But it eventually delivered Jalen Brown, Jason Taytum and Derrick White, and the 2024 Championship.

They got lucky with the Nets finishing dead-last in 2016, which gave Boston pick 1, which they traded down to 3 and a future first, securing them Brown and later White.

That's not happening for us. The best we can do in picks from Freo is maybe a top-10 pick and at least another one in the teens.

Come on a flight of fancy with me...

Shai and Bakes supposedly met the Perth clubs during the bye.
Victorian Harley Reid has taken a week off to visit his family and has not signed the extension West Coast no doubt put on the table as soon as they were allowed.

This is not going to happen. But what if: Bakes and Shai for Harley?
Garnett was something like 37 and Pierce 35 though when they made that trade ? Terry similar if I recall.

So they were at the end of their careers whereas Bakes and Shai have plenty left.

The Celtics knew what they were doing despite the dumb howls at the time. Bakes and Shai very different situation for mine.

Last edited:
Garnett was something like 37 and Pierce 35 though when they made that trade. Terry similar if I recall.

So they were at the end of their careers whereas Bakes and Shai have plenty left.

The Celtics knew what they were doing despite the dumb howls at the time. Bakes and Shai very different situation for mine.
Fair enough, but would you do it?

I would probably do the trade but WC wouldn't. Not only because their members would burn the place down, but by the time they are contending again Bolton and Bakes will be 30+.

Reactions: 1 user
What would it take you reckon?

Not even joking, but our first.

He's contracted until end of 2026, so there at no immediate risk of him leaving.

He is the face of their rebuild. You only need to look at the media over there.

And because of his role, style and ability they will look to build a team around him. As good as Bakes and Shai are you cant do that with them.

Because of those reasons, we'll need to turn heads and pay overs to get him - Only our first pick will do that ILO.

@Carter has campaigned strongly to trade Shai to Freo for draft picks. They currently hold 11 (Poort's), 14 (theirs) and 15 (Collingwood's). The Poort one might even finish in the top-10.

I've been dead agin' it, and I think I still am.

But I saw this video the other day about the Boston Celtics trading out Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry, for the Nets' first-round picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018. At the time it was described as one of the worst trades ever. But it eventually delivered Jalen Brown, Jason Taytum and Derrick White, and the 2024 Championship.

They got lucky with the Nets finishing dead-last in 2016, which gave Boston pick 1, which they traded down to 3 and a future first, securing them Brown and later White.

That's not happening for us. The best we can do in picks from Freo is maybe a top-10 pick and at least another one in the teens.

Come on a flight of fancy with me...

Shai and Bakes supposedly met the Perth clubs during the bye.
Victorian Harley Reid has taken a week off to visit his family and has not signed the extension West Coast no doubt put on the table as soon as they were allowed.

This is not going to happen. But what if: Bakes and Shai for Harley?

I’d have everything signed and be out the door after they said “o” and before they finished “kay”

He's contracted until end of 2026, so there at no immediate risk of him leaving.

And because of his role, style and ability they will look to build a team around him. As good as Bakes and Shai are you cant do that with them.

Because of those reasons, we'll need to pay overs to get him - Only our first pick will do that ILO.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But if we were also giving them Bakes and Shai we'd want something back.

The Judd deal was picks 3, 20 and an unproven Josh Kennedy originally drafted at 5 two years earlier.

Shai is worth pick 3 then some. Say 3 and 10. Bakes is worth say 12.

Hmm. Maybe we wouldn't get anything back.

Anyway, won't happen, just a thought experiment.

Reactions: 1 users
We are carrying too many fragile players, part of this is the hangover from the premierships, but that doesn't explain it all. Maybe the game style of the premiership years also contributes.

But part of the problem is that list sizes have been pared back too far. You need a slightly larger list to account for injuries and player development. I suspect this is a function of too many teams and not enough talent. 19 teams is too many IMO, I'd prefer to see 16 really, and larger lists.

DS
Notsure thats factually correct

2017 45 on Main & Rookie List
2018 45 on Main & Rookie List
2019 46 on Main & Rookie List
2020 45 on Main & Rookie List
2021 44 on Main & Rookie List
2022 44 on Main & Rookie List
2023 46 on Main & Rookie List
2024 45 on Main & Rookie List

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But if we were also giving them Bakes and Shai we'd want something back.

The Judd deal was picks 3, 20 and an unproven Josh Kennedy originally drafted at 5 two years earlier.

Yeah they knocked back two seperate offers of 3 first rd picks for pick 1 last year -

One included pick 2 from North. The other from Melbourne was pick 6, 11 and future first.

They didn't blink. Let alone consider it.

His value (both on field and marketing) has only sky-rocketed from there.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah they knocked back two seperate offers of 3 first rd picks for pick 1 last year -

One included pick 2 from North. The other from Melbourne was pick 6, 11 and future first.

He's going to *smile* end up at Geelong as a free agent. I'd rather he stayed in Perth.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I floated this a couple of weeks ago. Baker, Bolton and a 2nd round pick for Reid and a future second. You'd have to look at it but it raises the question, if West Coast and Fremantle are so keen on Baker, and now Bolton it seems, what are *they* prepared to give up? These are dual premiership players in their mid 20s, in the top 5 players at Richmond.

They won't be getting it done by offering up a fringe player and later picks. Fork it or walk it, *smile*.

Reckon you need to watch the rise of this guy closely.
I'm conceding, this boy is the real deal. You were on to him very early. Well played.

You were also right about him being off the table for Baker, we would need to pay overs anyway.

Because of those reasons, we'll need to turn heads and pay overs to get him - Only our first pick will do that ILO.

Pick 1, Shai, Baker for Reid.

It might get West Coast out of bed. But thats about it.

West Coast only trade Reid if Reid is the one coming out and saying send me home.

To be fair those 3 picks are faceless.

Bolton and Bakes are know commodities. Still not enough. But will get them thinking (a bit).

I'm conceding, this boy is the real deal. You were on to him very early. Well played.

You were also right about him being off the table for Baker, we would need to pay overs anyway.
I think you mean Leysy, spook and Smokin were right. Again. The Dukes of Drafting! The Gurus of Guns! The Lords and Masters of List Management!

West Coast only trade Reid if Reid is the one coming out and saying send me home.
Of course. And even then they'd probably say, "See what you think in a year."

• Love
Reactions: 2 users