2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

We are carrying too many fragile players, part of this is the hangover from the premierships, but that doesn't explain it all. Maybe the game style of the premiership years also contributes.

But part of the problem is that list sizes have been pared back too far. You need a slightly larger list to account for injuries and player development. I suspect this is a function of too many teams and not enough talent. 19 teams is too many IMO, I'd prefer to see 16 really, and larger lists.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
I have no idea about the players in this pool but I thought I would pass on a comment made to me today by someone who is a long term Kangas fan and coterie member.
To be clear I have no idea if this is based on any truth or is rumour, but it is what he told me.
The feeling at North is that they don’t need another draft of mids, they need key position players. They may well be open to trades for their likely very high pick because they think they may be better off with a couple of first rounders which they would use to bring in talls. It is also depends on what they would get for Zuhaar as a free agent should he decide to go
Sims, Trainor, Faull, Whitlocks, twins Cole all North targets based on that and it’s a fair assessment. Maybe it’s North that splits their pick. Would get them two of that lot.

To join in the conversation on Mick Jagga.

Reckon he gets marked harshly compared to some others. Possibly because his game is out there BOG every week, so is front and centre to be dissected and chopped down with weaknesses magnified and strengths glazed over.

Anyway, his game for Vic Metro:

- 37 possessions (easily most in the match)
- 9 score involvements (4th most)
- 10 contested (3rd most)
- 26 uncontested (1st)
- 5 clearances (2nd)

Sure he has some areas to work on. But he has some absolute elite traits.

Evasiveness, reading the play, clean, knowing what he'll do with the ball before receiving it then executing- lets call it vision.

He might have some peers in these areas that are equal, but there is no-one in this draft class that is better than him in any of the above. ILHO at least.

Old mate Redford will disagree - but he shapes more and more as a Nick Daicos type (and before anyone jumps on, not saying he'll do what Daicos has in his first 50 games) in what he brings.

Too early to be definitively ranking guys as so much to go, but still deserves to be in the conversation in the very top echelon ILO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
To join in the conversation on Mick Jagga.

Reckon he gets marked harshly compared to some others. Possibly because his game is out there BOG every week, so is front and centre to be dissected and chopped down with weaknesses magnified and strengths glazed over.

Anyway, his game for Vic Metro:

- 37 possessions (easily most in the match)
- 9 score involvements (4th most)
- 10 contested (3rd most)
- 26 uncontested (1st)
- 5 clearances (2nd)

Sure he has some areas to work on. But he has some absolute elite traits.

Evasiveness, reading the play, clean, knowing what he'll do with the ball before receiving it then executing- lets call it vision.

He might have some peers in these areas that are equal, but there is no-one in this draft class that is better than him in any of the above. ILHO at least.

Old mate Redford will disagree - but he shapes more and more as a Nick Daicos type (and before anyone jumps on, not saying he'll do what Daicos has in his first 50 games) in what he brings.

Too early to be definitively ranking guys as so much to go, but still deserves to be in the conversation in the very top echelon ILO.

yes.

the inverse Jayden short 2020 effect.

Sims, Trainor, Faull, Whitlocks, twins Cole all North targets based on that and it’s a fair assessment. Maybe it’s North that splits their pick. Would get them two of that lot.
If there's a very even top group of prospects without an absolute Harley Reid type stand out kid, one would think the clubs with the first or second pick would
strongly consider their options regarding splitting that pick.

yes. It may well be true, they have a lot of mids and not much quality in the key positions talls except for Larkey

yes. It may well be true, they have a lot of mids and not much quality in the key positions talls except for Larkey
Obviously depends on how the juniors perform leading in, but swapping ( if they get it ) pick one for two picks around the top ten n the possibility of picking up the Whitlock twins. Key Fwd and Key Def, plus the happy family type connection in one hit to fill a blatantly glaring hole in their structure.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s the problem with this Draft: whilst there’s a few decent types, there isn’t that genuine explosive 5-10 metre burst player who can get separation from stoppages, something we critically lack. Nobody with a Judd, Treloar, Gulden, Cousins, Dangerfield style of game.

Maybe Draper has the best of it, but otherwise, what we really need isn’t in this Draft. FOS is ok, but certainly not that “boom” and he’s off type.

We desperately need some breakaway speed like Shed used to give us a bit of. Shai has it, but he’s not an all day every week midfielder.
Im guessing you are talking about the center square clearances,,if you want to improve in that area ,we need a better tap ruck.
During our premiership years,the weakest part of our side was the midfield ,
Nank is a warrior,but not the best tap ruck.

If Dodson chooses football,we should be looking at him,he's good ,and Sampson has become a back up at best.

Im guessing you are talking about the center square clearances,,if you want to improve in that area ,we need a better tap ruck.
During our premiership years,the weakest part of our side was the midfield ,
Nank is a warrior,but not the best tap ruck.

If Dodson chooses football,we should be looking at him,he's good ,and Sampson has become a back up at best.
That's not what I'm talking about. There are "hundreds" more stoppages around the entire ground than just at the centre square Bungal.

Tap ruckman are *smile* as well. There's little actual, statistical correlation between winning a tap out and then winning the clearance. Buckley, Fly, Lyon etc go on about it all the time.

Dodson would be valuable though because he can take a mark.

After the loss of McKay, they'd want Trainor you'd have to think (if any of this is true.)

Adrian Cole ? He's a St.Kilda Academy player.

That's not what I'm talking about. There are "hundreds" more stoppages around the entire ground than just at the centre square Bungal.

Tap ruckman are *smile* as well. There's little actual, statistical correlation between winning a tap out and then winning the clearance. Buckley, Fly, Lyon etc go on about it all the time.

Dodson would be valuable though because he can take a mark.
We don't smashed at clearances around the ground,it's our use of the ball when we have it thats the problem.
We need player's across the ground who can mark and can put pressure on when they don't have the ball,,our pressure and second efforts are left to far few.

We don't smashed at clearances around the ground,it's our use of the ball when we have it thats the problem.
We need player's across the ground who can mark and can put pressure on when they don't have the ball,,our pressure and second efforts are left to far few.
What are you talking about Bungal ??? We are dead set last in the AFL for winning clearances from stoppages.

In any case, it’s not just winning the clearance or getting first hands on it, it’s what happens thereafter. It’s either the first possession winner or the second one (who receives a handball), that we don’t have any separation with. We’re as slow as a wet week. And addressing it will kill 3 birds with one stone because besides winning the first posession with these types they'll create time for themselves to make better delivery than we currently are, plus, if we don’t win possession, then these quick 5-10 metre players can chase down the opposition player and we won’t get burnt so badly like we are now either.

The Dogs game was a classic for this glaring gap we have. Treloar absolutely crushed us on separation. 41 disposals. 3 clearances. A whopping 650 metres in metres gained. Then he also made 5 tackles.

Bolton is the only one, but he’s not a 4 quarter, all day mid.

Last edited:
What are you talking about Bungal ??? We are dead set last in the AFL for winning clearances from stoppages.

In any case, it’s not just winning the clearance or getting first hands on it, it’s what happens thereafter. It’s either the first possession winner or the second one (who receives a handball), that we don’t have any separation with. We’re as slow as a wet week. And addressing it will kill 3 birds with one stone because besides winning the first posession with these types they'll create time for themselves to make better delivery than we currently are, plus, if we don’t win possession, then these quick 5-10 metre players can chase down the opposition player and we won’t get burnt so badly like we are now either.

…….

Bolton is the only one, but he’s not a 4 quarter, all day mid.
Agree Bolton is the only one and while he doesn’t have the stamina to stay mid all day, he should be on the job for as long as
his level of fitness permits. Camped on the forward line is a total misread of both his skill level and the most glaring of our needs.

Need to get at least two more with the fitness, speed and skill required in the midfield, with our first picks this draft.

@Carter has campaigned strongly to trade Shai to Freo for draft picks. They currently hold 11 (Poort's), 14 (theirs) and 15 (Collingwood's). The Poort one might even finish in the top-10.

I've been dead agin' it, and I think I still am.

But I saw this video the other day about the Boston Celtics trading out Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry, for the Nets' first-round picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018. At the time it was described as one of the worst trades ever. But it eventually delivered Jalen Brown, Jason Taytum and Derrick White, and the 2024 Championship.

They got lucky with the Nets finishing dead-last in 2016, which gave Boston pick 1, which they traded down to 3 and a future first, securing them Brown and later White.

That's not happening for us. The best we can do in picks from Freo is maybe a top-10 pick and at least another one in the teens.

Come on a flight of fancy with me...

Shai and Bakes supposedly met the Perth clubs during the bye.
Victorian Harley Reid has taken a week off to visit his family and has not signed the extension West Coast no doubt put on the table as soon as they were allowed.

This is not going to happen. But what if: Bakes and Shai for Harley?

Reactions: 2 users