2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

That’s the problem with this Draft: whilst there’s a few decent types, there isn’t that genuine explosive 5-10 metre burst player who can get separation from stoppages, something we critically lack. Nobody with a Judd, Treloar, Gulden, Cousins, Dangerfield style of game.

Maybe Draper has the best of it, but otherwise, what we really need isn’t in this Draft. FOS is ok, but certainly not that “boom” and he’s off type.

We desperately need some breakaway speed like Shed used to give us a bit of. Shai has it, but he’s not an all day every week midfielder.
Maybe a rough diamond further down the list of this draft?

We need an aweful lot out of this and the next draft < we will finish bottom few next year too>.
1 Midfield beast.
2 Midfield skill
3 Forward target.
4 Forward fast / goal kicking smalls
But above all..we are really really slow!
All mids drafted must be able to run and overlap and have endurance.
Can be done..but also need a few years maturing.
4-5 years I guess if all goes well.
Really must nail this and next draft.
I know all this is obvious... it just made me feel better and sleep better to post it🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
We need an aweful lot out of this and the next draft < we will finish bottom few next year too>.
1 Midfield beast.
2 Midfield skill
3 Forward target.
But above all..we are really really slow!
All mids drafted must be able to run and overlap and have endurance.
Can be done..but also need a few years maturing.
4-5 years I guess if all goes well.
Really must nail this and next draft.
I know all this is obvious... it just made me feel better and sleep better to post it🤣
Unfortunately Pedro, 12 of the 23 players in last year’s U/16 All Australian team (ie those available in 2025) are Academy players with the Northern clubs.

It’s gonna be hard next year.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately Pedro, 12 of the 23 players in last year’s U/16 All Australian team (ie those available in 2025) are Academy players with the Northern clubs.

So another year (2025) of low performance is needed?

With that being the case. Would you therefore trade into this draft instead?

Reactions: 1 user
1 Midfield beast.
2 Midfield skill
3 Forward target.

Its all there and we hold the hand to get it.

Think we need to go best available first round, which could be as many as 3 picks?

And i think we could get 1., 3., and 4., going best available in the first round.

jagga smiths credentials for 2. Are the subject of debate.

I think hes inconspicously skilled and damaging

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in Blair’s office right now. Not just for the impending 2024 Draft selections but moreover the thinking/strategy for the next 3 years.

Our list is completely crippled. I never thought this before, but it needs a massive overhaul due to the fact we not only have too many oldies, but we have way too many injury prone players. We’re carrying way too many risks.

Not withstanding we have a terrible S&C that I said needed a review of over 12 months ago (something a few on here didn’t agree with) we have Grimes, Lynch, Hopper, Prestia, Naismith, Graham, Colina, Bauer all of whom can not get out on the park with any regularity. Then we have young players Fawcett, MJ, Gibcus, Clarke, Young, Lefau all with major injuries. Some of them repeat major injuries. Pickett now with a calf at age 32 as well. Dusty getting soft tissue injuries. Banks and Brown - a number of injuries to date also.

Our list is out of control on the injury-risk front. Completely out of control.

To that end, I wonder if Hartley isn’t thinking this list needs a deeper and quicker upending which means we’ve gotta take a bigger bite of a *smile* sandwich, and sooner, than we thought we might have had to at the start of the year.

I’m not for trading any of Baker, Shai or Daniel. Besides their talent, their sweet spot age wise, they’re about the only guys we have that can suit up each week as well.

To that end, how do we de-risk this playing list ? I really have no idea, but what I do know is we are staring not just now, but into the future with a very very fragile looking list.

Hartley needs to be at his creative best the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I’d love to be a fly on the wall in Blair’s office right now. Not just for the impending 2024 Draft selections but moreover the thinking/strategy for the next 3 years.

Our list is completely crippled. I never thought this before, but it needs a massive overhaul due to the fact we not only have too many oldies, but we have way too many injury prone players. We’re carrying way too many risks.

Not withstanding we have a terrible S&C that I said needed a review of over 12 months ago (something a few on here didn’t agree with) we have Grimes, Lynch, Hopper, Prestia, Naismith, Graham, Colina, Bauer all of whom can not get out on the park with any regularity. Then we have young players Fawcett, MJ, Gibcus, Clarke, Young, Lefau all with major injuries. Some of them repeat major injuries. Pickett now with a calf at age 32 as well.

To that end, I wonder if Hartley isn’t thinking this list needs a deeper and quicker upending that means we’ve gotta take a bigger bite of a *smile* sandwich than we thought we might have to at the start of the year.

I’m not for trading any of Baker, Shai or Daniel. Besides their talent, their sweet spot age wise, they’re about the only guys we have that can suit up each week as well.

To that end, how do we de-risk this playing list ? I really have no idea, but what I do know is we are staring not just now, but into the future with a very very fragile looking list.

And Tassie coming in three years.

Feel like we need to look at the Blights in the state leagues to make up core foot soldiers that will play every week.

I admit, I didn’t think we’d bottom out this hard this decade at the end of 2022, thought we could go the 6-12 yo-yo for three or four years before going again.

Reactions: 5 users

Not withstanding we have a terrible S&C that I said needed a review of over 12 months ago (something a few on here didn’t agree with) we have Grimes, Lynch, Hopper, Prestia, Naismith, Graham, Colina, Bauer all of whom can not get out on the park with any regularity. Then we have young players Fawcett, MJ, Gibcus, Clarke, Young, Lefau all with major injuries. Some of them repeat major injuries. Pickett now with a calf at age 32 as well. Dusty getting soft tissue injuries. Banks and Brown - a number of injuries to date also.

To that end, I wonder if Hartley isn’t thinking this list needs a deeper and quicker upending that means we’ve gotta take a bigger bite of a *smile* sandwich than we thought we might have to at the start of the year.

That *smile* Hanrahan! He’s got plenty to answer for. “We’ll all be rooned”. that prick needs sorting out a Redfords. Is he on the S&F department payroll?

And Tassie coming in three years.

Feel like we need to look at the Blights in the state leagues to make up core foot soldiers that will play every week.

I admit, I didn’t think we’d bottom out this hard this decade at the end of 2022, thought we could go the 6-12 yo-yo for three or four years before going again.
Yep. Me too. But right now our list is just way…way too far in the “carrying” zone with too much uncertainty accordingly. By my reckoning we have about 17 or 18 players with physical reliability questions. That’s out of control. We’ve gotta address it. You’ve always got a certain quota of injuries, and you can carry a few chronics on your list, but that’s just way way too many to be worrying about.

A few decisions are easy. Grimes and Prestia to retire. That’s it. Hard and fast. Then, as much as I love him, find a home for Fridge. I’m retiring Pickett as well. Form and future health reasons. Replaced with Draft picks and/or the best mature agers we can find. That’s a start. We’ll de-list a few players and replace them, but they aren’t the types I’m talking about addressing. I’m talking about the plethora of physically unreliable players we have.

As I said, I’m not really in on trading any of Rioli, Baker or Shai. But I do understand that if it meant getting 2 quality Draft picks in exchange for any of them, then that means 2 reliable bodies instead of 1.

I dunno what all the answers are, but I do know that we are gonna be at the bottom end for a lot longer than we might have expected if we don’t include in our strategy the addressing of the enormous physical frailties that our list has.

Might have to get really ruthless the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Agree with this and we also need to dig deeper into the MSD. I really hope Coulthard is no Matt Clarke stuff up...but giving someone like Matt Parker a go worries me we don't think strong enough at times.

I have no idea about the players in this pool but I thought I would pass on a comment made to me today by someone who is a long term Kangas fan and coterie member.
To be clear I have no idea if this is based on any truth or is rumour, but it is what he told me.
The feeling at North is that they don’t need another draft of mids, they need key position players. They may well be open to trades for their likely very high pick because they think they may be better off with a couple of first rounders which they would use to bring in talls. It is also depends on what they would get for Zuhaar as a free agent should he decide to go