2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

largely a 45m kick, and a vertitable butcher in front of goal March-August.

there's nothing wrong with Jagga's leg.

for the defence I'll add this;

metres gained can be a double edged sword.

a lot of these glamour mids bang it on the boot forward from every stoppage; Will Ashcroft a classic example. Tim Tarranto bread and butter. some of them nearly dislocate both shoulders in the act of banging.

Jagga Smith finds space, then finds a teammate in a 360 degree format.

his football looks attractive. which is the clearest indicator we have of an attractive footballer

While ive cooled from white hot to red hot on Jagga,

Lets not be hypnotised by @spook bannon.

Jagga can really play. Hes undoubtedly blue chip. I'll fist pump if we call out his name.

But, yes, it may be at No.7 instead of No.1 or No.2

great top 10 debate this year.

and there's still 5 of 'em with a strong case for No.1 I reckon

I can live with him at Pick 7

But taking Jagga at pick 2 for me would be a major disappointment

This is the point I am making

Reactions: 1 users
I reckon there's a fair way to go on the top 5 and 10. This time last year the top 3 were in, and 4 to 10 were too in terms of players, if not the order..

Reactions: 1 user
I can live with him at Pick 7

But taking Jagga at pick 2 for me would be a major disappointment

This is the point I am making

Jagga is bluechip top 5 every year for me.

and without looking at the data,

im pretty sure history shows the best player mostly comes out of the Top 5,

not the top 2.

I get what people are saying, but I think there's two things at play

1. Harley Reid is fresh in everyone mind as a benchmark No.1 and
2. We tigers are a bit gun-shy on skinny blokes

I see Jagga getting 30 disposals every week and carefully putting teammates into space.

I think he'll be a more damaging mid than Tim Tarranto, but not as damaging as Dion Prestia.

if someone more damaging than Dion Prestia is in the pool, yeah I want them too.

I hope we find a triple norm smith medalist, or a bloke who wins the JD medal year 1,

but 1. its unlikely, 2. we need to build a whole list and blokes like jagga smith dont grow on trees and 3. the list wont be built this year, we need to harvest 5 drafts well.

but I am going less bullish on him. He may not be THE kid to lead us to the summit, but he'll almost certainly play 200 games, as a top 5 pick should, and carry a lot of stuff up the hill.

Reactions: 4 users
LOLZ. I am a huge FOS fan, I think he has claims on pick 1, I think a few do that's all.

And Lennon island? What is this? I wanted Matt Crouch that draft. And you better let Redfrod off before that Good Ship runs aground on Ryan Reef which is just past Griffiths Grove . You three better give Red the vest, he doesn't deserve to go down with that ship.
What's Lennon Island? What's Lennon Island??

Happy to wait it out Lennon Island solo like Tom Hanks in Castaway.

Reckon I’m like Tom Hanks in Castaway on this bloke.

Alone on on a island, Lennon Island. Don’t think I’ve seen a player managed worse.

If I was at another club, I’d be diving in to get him for a late second. Hoping he stays.

Lennon Island is lonelier than Tom Hanks in Castaway.

I'm on it.

I would like to formally welcome you to Lennon Island.

I am still buying real estate on Lennon Island.
Lennon Island.

Lennon Island.
LENNON ISLAND!!!!!!

We will survive!!!

Lennon Island.
It's a closed community right now. Still buying.

Yeah, Scoop. What is Lennon Island? (Griffens was twice the player btw)

We all make calls and we all have any manner of Trent Biancos and Dayle Garletts in the closet.

Your call here is that Jagga Smith will be as good as Finn O'Sullivan, do I have that right? Otherwise what the hell are you going on about?

I wanted ben Lennon and Corey ellis.

I also wanted jack Riewoldt and Shai Bolton

I didn't want Nick Vlastuin.

what could prove my biggest shame is I thought Harley Reid was more Jake Stringer than Dustin Martin.

im happy to have a crack and get some right and some wrong.

they didn't listen to me anyway.

can't make a call on FOS yet, ive never seen him play. But looking forward to it.

but if you said Richmond could have Jagga, Sims, Champion and Urquart today on my say so,

I'd go "done" and sign the papers

*actually I dont think I did want Corey Ellis
*actually before I sign, throw in tom gross as well

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I love how robust it is in here in July.

quite a solid silver lining.

I'm really barracking for Norf every week now, including round 21.

in an ideal silver-lined world,

we are last with a game up our sleeves and can beat GCS last round and still grab

Vontae Jagger Sims Champion at pick 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
where do you have Tom Sims currently @Scoop?

Surely there will be no dissent if we call him Steamed Dim Sims?

What's Lennon Island? What's Lennon Island??

Yeah, Scoop. What is Lennon Island? (Griffens was twice the player btw)

We all make calls and we all have any manner of Trent Biancos and Dayle Garletts in the closet.

Your call here is that Jagga Smith will be as good as Finn O'Sullivan, do I have that right? Otherwise what the hell are you going on about?
LOL, yeah I thought he's make it once he got there. Still on record as taking Crouch in the draft. Imagine the Ryan and Griffiths stuff.

Your talking as if it's Dyson Heppell and Reece Conca, Cotchin and Morton stuff.

I haven't many any calls on who is better, I've said FOS is ahead at this stage but the gap isn't what you make it out to be with your PR campaign.

8-15 I think I said a couple of pages ago. Not in that top tier but in the next tier.

Dim Sims looks like Jordan DeGoeys head got transplanted onto Tom Lynchs body.

there's a hell of a lot to like

Dim Sims looks like Jordan DeGoeys head got transplanted onto Tom Lynchs body.

there's a hell of a lot to like
I think I've read or got told that he hasn't been in the elite pathways for that long, was a basketballer. Don't quote me on that.

• Wow
Looks like a waddler, so get him and give him the Duz #4.
That’s the problem with this Draft: whilst there’s a few decent types, there isn’t that genuine explosive 5-10 metre burst player who can get separation from stoppages, something we critically lack. Nobody with a Judd, Treloar, Gulden, Cousins, Dangerfield style of game.

Maybe Draper has the best of it, but otherwise, what we really need isn’t in this Draft. FOS is ok, but certainly not that “boom” and he’s off type.

We desperately need some breakaway speed like Shed used to give us a bit of. Shai has it, but he’s not an all day every week midfielder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users