2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Richardson did bugger all yesterday. Josh Murphy kicked another 6 on the weekend. Late November birthday, maybe he grows from his listed 190.

Jagga's nothing like Foley. When has he ever broken a line? That was Foley's one-wood, burst pace. Jagga doesn't have it. He's a good player, wins the ball, evades a man, finds a teammate. Generally if he gets it, the team has it. But I can't remember seeing a 70-metre play from him. It's almost exclusively short and/or sideways. But we have the ball. That's good. But is it great?

I'm trying to think who he reminds me of. Maybe a skinny Adrian Fletcher? It'll be interesting to see where he falls.

Sam Lalor 34 disposals in his return for the Rebels on the weekend. We need to see him fit and firing before we can determine his place in the order but I think he's a riser.
Foley didnt do that immediately. Once he worked out that he could it was off to the races. Learning is a thing. But yeah Jag aint over quick. I'd be leaning towards a player who is stronger overhead too. We need strong marking in general play. FOS supposed to be booming kick and good mark. All over for me.

Richardson did bugger all yesterday. Josh Murphy kicked another 6 on the weekend. Late November birthday, maybe he grows from his listed 190.

Jagga's nothing like Foley. When has he ever broken a line? That was Foley's one-wood, burst pace. Jagga doesn't have it. He's a good player, wins the ball, evades a man, finds a teammate. Generally if he gets it, the team has it. But I can't remember seeing a 70-metre play from him. It's almost exclusively short and/or sideways. But we have the ball. That's good. But is it great?

I'm trying to think who he reminds me of. Maybe a skinny Adrian Fletcher? It'll be interesting to see where he falls.

Sam Lalor 34 disposals in his return for the Rebels on the weekend. We need to see him fit and firing before we can determine his place in the order but I think he's a riser.
And Richardson is an absolute hack kick too. No thanks.

Strong overhead and line breaking and long kicking is Bo Allan. He is a tall mid who is damaging when he gets the ball..but he is not so much in and under..a first receiver who will deliver into firward 50.
A great second choice mid.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I want in the midfield, FOS and Lalor would complement each other but as you rightly say are different types.

Is Faull more your Logan McDonald roaming type? I haven't seen enough of him but what I have seen he looked a bit robotic. Is he mobile? Can he change direction quickly?
That would be a amazing pick up to get Lalor and Fos,,I do rate Smillie l think is very good.

No not like Mcdonald ,Faull is aggressive at the contest ,be it at marking or at ground level,yeah he is mobile gets up the ground and has a really good work ethic ,he is a CHF type,not a FF.

You've convinced me on Smith Spook. Great player, will succeed and be in integral part of a midfield, but too much sideways and lack of kick penetration makes me baulk at that top 3 or 5 pick. For that, I want a player with gamebreaking ability.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s a fair boot on Smillie. He can really let it fly from a long way out. Nice kicking action.

Can he run all day though in order to play in the midfield ? Or will he be, at best, a part time midfielder - part time up forward - type of player ?

If he could build a tank and show a bit more of a burst, he’d really solidify in my mind. Just not sure about him athletically, yet.

Reactions: 3 users
That would be a amazing pick up to get Lalor and Fos,,I do rate Smillie l think is very good.

No not like Mcdonald ,Faull is aggressive at the contest ,be it at marking or at ground level,yeah he is mobile gets up the ground and has a really good work ethic ,he is a CHF type,not a FF.
Is Jonty a bustling Jack Darling type?
What’s he like in the air?

Strong overhead and line breaking and long kicking is Bo Allan. He is a tall mid who is damaging when he gets the ball..but he is not so much in and under..a first receiver who will deliver into firward 50.
A great second choice mid.

I only saw him for the 1st time at the weekend, but looked a lot like Will Day. Is he as quick as Day?

You've convinced me on Smith Spook. Great player, will succeed and be in integral part of a midfield, but too much sideways and lack of kick penetration makes me baulk at that top 3 or 5 pick. For that, I want a player with gamebreaking ability.

@spook is running a kind of elite leftist woke activist steve bannon campaign.

Hes got me swung too, and i havnt even seen Vontae play yet (june 9)

The pre-draft high rotation nickname is seminal work

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
One thing FOS is going to have to modify in his game is his propensity to fly for heavy pack marks all the time - often under great physical risk.

Whilst it’s admirable and shows a great deal of courage, at 182cm he’s not going to have a long career at AFL level doing that all time.

Watching some Xavier APS games and some interviews with him, he is mega competitive and just wreaks leader.

Reactions: 4 users
Trent Cotchin was always an elite kick

largely a 45m kick, and a vertitable butcher in front of goal March-August.

there's nothing wrong with Jagga's leg.

for the defence I'll add this;

metres gained can be a double edged sword.

a lot of these glamour mids bang it on the boot forward from every stoppage; Will Ashcroft a classic example. Tim Tarranto bread and butter. some of them nearly dislocate both shoulders in the act of banging.

Jagga Smith finds space, then finds a teammate in a 360 degree format.

his football looks attractive. which is the clearest indicator we have of an attractive footballer

While ive cooled from white hot to red hot on Jagga,

Lets not be hypnotised by @spook bannon.

Jagga can really play. Hes undoubtedly blue chip. I'll fist pump if we call out his name.

But, yes, it may be at No.7 instead of No.1 or No.2

great top 10 debate this year.

and there's still 5 of 'em with a strong case for No.1 I reckon

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
The Chimp was awesome but he wasn’t an elite kick.

54% kicking efficiency and about similar in front of goal.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
largely a 45m kick, and a vertitable butcher in front of goal March-August.

there's nothing wrong with Jagga's leg.

for the defence I'll add this;

metres gained can be a double edged sword.

a lot of these glamour mids bang it on the boot forward from every stoppage; Will Ashcroft a classic example. Tim Tarranto bread and butter. some of them nearly dislocate both shoulders in the act of banging.

Jagga Smith finds space, then finds a teammate in a 360 degree format.

his football looks attractive. which is the clearest indicator we have of an attractive footballer

While ive cooled from white hot to red hot on Jagga,

Lets not be hypnotised by @spook bannon.

Jagga can really play. Hes undoubtedly blue chip. I'll fist pump if we call out his name.

But, yes, it may be at No.7 instead of No.1 or No.2

great top 10 debate this year.

and there's still 5 of 'em with a strong case for No.1 I reckon
You're saying the same things about Jagga as I am!

On Malachi Champion.

he's only got 2 inches on Nick Cuntson,

but his knees stay stiff and his elbows by his sides in traffic.

hes a Kalgoorlie lad, and I know a bloke whose done drills with him.

he reckons his acceleration is eye watering.

you see it watching him on the wireless. he flashes into the picture like Speedy Gonzales.

and he kicks goals like shelling peas.

he is exactly what we need, and with some luck, might be there late teens

• Love
Reactions: 6 users