2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Re watched Jagga Smith some more.
I was probably too harsh on him.
He is physically underdeveloped..still very small and skinny.
He has a great football brain and great hands. A genuine inside 1st possession mid. Not yet big enough to be damaging outside.
Hopefully with developement and strenghth he would become more complete and then would be a mid we need.
Would be happy if he was one of several mids we drafted.

Reactions: 1 user
Jesse Dattoli 😉
Yeah talented player,would be a great pick up if he lasted to the second round..
How did Lalor go this weekend @bengal tigers ?
I didn't go to the match ,because it was at windy hill for some bizarre reason.
I was told nearly word for word,he was arguably bog,Josh Murphy kicked 6 goals for Murray was really good ,which is a good output for a medium forward.
I haven't got stats yet,but was more interested to see how much difference Lalor made to the Rebels ,who have had a ordinary year so far,because of injuries ,and a couple choosing other sports,they won so it was positive.
Jonty Faull kicked 3 ,and has kicked 11 since coming back on his 3 matches ,plus does a lot of other work that some other forwards this year don't do.

Reactions: 2 users
Just had a look at the Jag highlights.
So what would you be getting here?
ELITE decision making. Off the charts. Betting he's a very quick study.

ALL DAY gut run.
Burrows like a mole.
Very very hard to tackle.
Very good if not elite kicking but not super long. Prob maxes at 45m accuracy but not sure.
Never gonna out mark anyone. Good pace but not elite.
What we dont see is translation of all of that into the front half. It all seems to take place in the back half or around the square/wings. He doesn't enter the 50 a lot.
The body shape. I see injuries. I dunno. Yeah he's hard to tackle but it may only take one BANG shoulder career issue. I dunno.
I can see him dominating VFL immediately and forcing selection too early. Needs a year of gym. I dunno. I loved Robert Flower so... I dunno. Probably over thinking it.

Reactions: 4 users
My boy Nate Caddy, looked really good yesterday, looked right at home. I see some similar traits with Charlie Richardson, I'm hoping that if we can't get Sims in the first round after we take a mid, that Charlie in the second round would be a good outcome.

And I keep looking at Jagger Smith and thinking that he is underrated on here. Prodcution is there. Wins own ball. The rest is narrative. I see peak Nate Foley.

Reactions: 4 users
My boy Nate Caddy, looked really good yesterday, looked right at home. I see some similar traits with Charlie Richardson, I'm hoping that if we can't get Sims in the first round after we take a mid, that Charlie in the second round would be a good outcome.

And I keep looking at Jagger Smith and thinking that he is underrated on here. Prodcution is there. Wins own ball. The rest is narrative. I see peak Nate Foley.
Richardson did bugger all yesterday. Josh Murphy kicked another 6 on the weekend. Late November birthday, maybe he grows from his listed 190.

Jagga's nothing like Foley. When has he ever broken a line? That was Foley's one-wood, burst pace. Jagga doesn't have it. He's a good player, wins the ball, evades a man, finds a teammate. Generally if he gets it, the team has it. But I can't remember seeing a 70-metre play from him. It's almost exclusively short and/or sideways. But we have the ball. That's good. But is it great?

I'm trying to think who he reminds me of. Maybe a skinny Adrian Fletcher? It'll be interesting to see where he falls.

Sam Lalor 34 disposals in his return for the Rebels on the weekend. We need to see him fit and firing before we can determine his place in the order but I think he's a riser.

Reactions: 8 users

Sims reminds me of Peter Wright,strong marking player,but doesn't get involved a lot in other areas,like tackling ,pressure ,second efforts questionable .
He might be a good pick up,if we could get a Chf type first.

Richardson did bugger all yesterday. Josh Murphy kicked another 6 on the weekend. Late November birthday, maybe he grows from his listed 190.

Jagga's nothing like Foley. When has he ever broken a line? That was Foley's one-wood, burst pace. Jagga doesn't have it. He's a good player, wins the ball, evades a man, finds a teammate. Generally if he gets it, the team has it. But I can't remember seeing a 70-metre play from him. It's almost exclusively short and/or sideways. But we have the ball. That's good. But is it great?

I'm trying to think who he reminds me of. Maybe a skinny Adrian Fletcher? It'll be interesting to see where he falls.

Sam Lalor 34 disposals in his return for the Rebels on the weekend. We need to see him fit and firing before we can determine his place in the order but I think he's a riser.
Were did you get the stats from,,34disposals and he isn't anywhere being fully fit is impressive.
I don't know about Lalor being a riser,l think he has always been there,look forward to him wearing Tiger jumper next year :LOL:

Besides Sims, no tall did any good. I'm not going to hang the kid off of one week. I keep looking at Caddy and thinking Charlie could be that type of forward.
The mobile and agile third tall who can play second tall occasionally.

Lalor definitely is the one that we need to keep tabs on. If we took Sullivan at 1, Lalor can be that big bodied mid that partners with him. It's a good fit.

Reactions: 5 users

Body shape wise, I'd think Jagga was similar to Butters. How was Butters game looking at in his draft year? (BTW I'm not asking a loaded question, I literally don't know, maybe he was a lot more damaging than Jagga). Just body type and evasiveness, he looks a lot like Butters albeit more in the defensive side of the field rather than the offensive side.

Besides Sims, no tall did any good. I'm not going to hang the kid off of one week. I keep looking at Caddy and thinking Charlie could be that type of forward.
The mobile and agile third tall who can play second tall occasionally.

Lalor definitely is the one that we need to keep tabs on. If we took Sullivan at 1, Lalor can be that big bodied mid that partners with him. It's a good fit.
Lalor is as good as FOS,different types though .
I wasn't hanging Sims ,thats the way he is,l never judge a player after one match or two for that matter.

I rate Faull highly,but he is a different type to Sims ,he's more a chf,, that does a lot of work at ground level as well.

Lalor is as good as FOS,different types though .
I wasn't hanging Sims ,thats the way he is,l never judge a player after one match or two for that matter.

I rate Faull highly,but he is a different type to Sims ,he's more a chf,, that does a lot of work at ground level as well.
That's what I want in the midfield, FOS and Lalor would complement each other but as you rightly say are different types.

Is Faull more your Logan McDonald roaming type? I haven't seen enough of him but what I have seen he looked a bit robotic. Is he mobile? Can he change direction quickly?