2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

This is a tough one, poor tank & under 200cm makes his path a difficult one, field kicking not great either. A potential Sam Darcy? Perhaps but there's an element of boom/bust here, I think I prefer Whitlock.
Interesting. What's your take Jonty Faull better option ?

Bully you a not worried about Langford lack of pace ?. We need midfielders who can break the lines.
Langford was a caught a few times but for the most part was able to create space with some deft footwork, he's not quite at Pendlebury levels but he's not a train tracks player either, the fact he can kick accurately off one step offsets his lack of three step power. He's also a threat up forward, there's an element of big game player who can kick clutch goals. For pick 6 I think there's value to be had.

Reactions: 7 users
6 10 thats overs
Keep pick 6 FFS
Its 10 11 for 2 or no deal
Back to back picks appeals so strongly to me when other clubs have shown their hands in the first 9 picks. Even draft. I like the idea of going back to back.
Same applies to those early 20's

Reactions: 3 users
Presuming Armstrong is gone by pick 10 I think it would be ok to grab Shanahan & Whitlock, I think Shanahan plays taller than 194cm, I initially thought this was a typo because he plays more like a 197cm forward, maybe he's grown an inch. His game against Essendon had many similarities to Van Rooyen's first year of VFL, a wide array of scoring avenues minus the pack crashing marks. I don't think he's a power forward, but I think there's enough there to eke out 30-40 goals a season. With a pick in the second round I'd bite, I place his ceiling at Mihocek levels, I think we could do with a player of that calibre.

Whitlock is an intriguing prospect, there were flashes of Tim English, albeit 4cm shorter. There's some chance he becomes a ruck which gives him a decent floor. Definitely not the player you can build a forward line around but certainly better than using Ryan & stop gaps like Naismith. He's the type who might have had a role in Terry's Triangle, a player you could rest forward in a Stafford type role. I would pick him with our 3rd or 4th selection so I guess the range will be 10-20.
I also likened him to Van rooyen in their draft year and can see alot of similarities \not sure i would reach at #10 for him though i think he will most likely be #17-#22 range but who knows which team falls in love

But bringing in Gerreyn & Shannahan would be an interesting combination

Reactions: 1 user
Back to back picks appeals so strongly to me when other clubs have shown their hands in the first 9 picks. Even draft. I like the idea of going back to back.
Same applies to those early 20's

If we do picks 10 and 11 for pick two we lose back to back at 10 and 11 but get back to back at 1 and 2

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah if Draper is there, they'll probably go him. Unlikely though you'd think.

Taylor loves his power athletes early. Reid doesn't project to his style ILO.

He took Windsor at 7 last year, hardly a power athlete. He's switched to kicking skills IMO, Reid and Lindsay both options at Pick 9 to the Dees I reckon, if they don't go tall.

He took Windsor at 7 last year, hardly a power athlete. He's switched to kicking skills IMO, Reid and Lindsay both options at Pick 9 to the Dees I reckon, if they don't go tall.

Maybe. They havent had many selections but Tholstrup and Van Rooyen in last couple of years still fit his profile.

Interesting. What's your take Jonty Faull better option ?
Faull has shown some promising glimpses and is trending in the right direction with some excellent late season form, this is a good sign and I noticed a bit of improvement with his contested marking in the Coates final series. He's also capable of a bit of run and carry which I think you need at 194cm. Does he have anymore tricks to unearth? Perhaps, there could be a hint of upside if we're assessing his steady improvement throughout 2024. One to consider if Shanahan & Whitlock get taken early, for team balance I reckon it might be wise to grab one player from the 197+ pool and one player in the 194cm bracket, I'd be happy if we strike gold with one of those selections. The law of averages dictates there will be a few tall busts with this crop, that usually entails buying a few tickets to ensure you get at least one core contributor.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a tough one, poor tank & under 200cm makes his path a difficult one, field kicking not great either. A potential Sam Darcy? Perhaps but there's an element of boom/bust here, I think I prefer Whitlock.
Has elite agility for an absolute brute.
Reminds me of The Duck in the way he moves and has great footy I.Q.

If we do picks 10 and 11 for pick two we lose back to back at 10 and 11 but get back to back at 1 and 2
Scully and Trengove (Melbourne), Rowell and Anderson ( Gold Coast) in recent times.
I'm not sure 1&2 is quite the guaranteed recipe for success.

later back to backs appeal to me as they aren't necessarily best mids or bloody half back (w)ankers as we loved to pick in the past!

To be fair Kreuzer and Cotch would have worked well imo lol

Last edited: