2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Talk of Smillie having illness and injury this year, wonder if that coincided with a below expectation result at the Champs.

All players face injury/illness but the club would have a good idea what his injury was and when his illness occurred.

Reactions: 1 users
Talk of Smillie having illness and injury this year, wonder if that coincided with a below expectation result at the Champs.

All players face injury/illness but the club would have a good idea what his injury was and when his illness occurred.

No one will know him better than Blair, who coaches his own son at the same club, we have inside info here

Reactions: 8 users

It was more to do with Rob Harding giving him limited time in the midfield where the Championships were concerned. He was a bit frustrated by it from what I can understand.

Reactions: 2 users
Na. Pick 1 gets bonus $. We'll give that to our kid. Plus you don't want the look of getting your second choice at pick 1. We'll bid on Ashcroft at 2.
Agree. But its yet another layer of compromise, yet another layer of discount on the NA FSs. So Brisbane get 1. guaranteed access, 2. 20% discount. 3. No requirement of picks used so can use junk picks, the 'real value' of which is nowhere near it, 4. The discount of having to match pick 2 instead of pick 1 due to the number 1 bonus you explain here. Its unbelievable.

What they should pay; pick 1, 3000 points including at least 1 first round pick. That is still a massive bonus. Pick 1 for effectively pick 20.

What they will pay: (80% x 2517 [pick 2]) = 2013, no picks threshold so can be a bunch of shrapnel from behind the couch

It should be guaranteed access only.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Na. Pick 1 gets bonus $. We'll give that to our kid. Plus you don't want the look of getting your second choice at pick 1. We'll bid on Ashcroft at 2.
And miss out on the opportunity to fully punish the reigning Premier through points requirements? No way.
Don’t get soft on us here Spook.
Also takes a lot of pressure off the player chosen by us at pick 2.
I’m all chips in for Ashcroft at pick 1. Unless a handshake has been done on the pick 20 deal but we’ll probably never know.

Is it possible that Langford's agility will compensate for the leg speed? The sidestep is actually ok, I noticed a few times his agility bought some time and he also can kick off one step - that's a handy weapon to have if you don't have explosiveness.
Good point. Pendlebury is still almost untouchable. Balance, core strength and agility more important as a pure mid than legspeed IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Just asking, but is there any merit in taking both Whitlocks?

it always annoys me seeing brothers at opposing clubs and I wonder whether childhood competitiveness can drive brothers better at the one club?

We should seriously look at it with our later picks.
They both play multiple positions so not necessarily competing for the same position
Sure there will be competition between them to play AFL early and well

All this talk about key forwards but not hearing much love for Shanahan? Seems do be a very good contested mark and has a bit of confidence about him like all good key forwards should. Projects to me as a Nate Caddy/Curnow/JVR type as that No.2 forward who could also play as No.1

Could pair well with a Whitlock or Sims type and would be happy taking him at 11 with Whitlock at 18?

I enjoy the notion of taking both Whitlii, but I'm far more sold on Jack than Matt. Hope we don't reach for the latter just to complete the set.

I’ve been a big proponent of drafting 2 key forwards this draft as our stocks are dangerously thin however are any of them any good?
What’s the consensus on ratings? I’ll go first.
1. Armstrong.
2. JWhitlock.
3. Shannahan.
4. Gerreyn.
5. Fauli.
6. Simms.
7. Cheese sandwich

If we believe Allan is the best outcome for our footy club at pick 10/11 or whatever.

We'll take him for sure. Blair won't leave him on the table.
before Travaglia? Also won't the club be looking at next and possibly the following season's elite midfielders?

Last edited:
before Travaglia? Also won't the club be looking at next and possibly the following season's elite midfielders?

Not saying who we should pick - More if we do rate Allan higher than others at 10/11 we won't pass on him because of some deal with the WA clubs.

Did some more highlights watching and some thoughts -
- FOS - good mover, good mark but makes some errors by foot
- Lawler - strong powerful. does he stand out playing against kids?
- Jagga - we could really do with his zip, agility and ball winning ability
- Draper - the more I watch the more I like
- Smilie - bit underrated - big strong, good user
- Langford - good footy brain and skills. Will slip due to pace.
- Lindsay - bit outside, softish and fumbles under pressure
- Hannoford - Terrier at the ball and the man - high intensity, competitor
- Berry - good neat skills but does he have the mongrel
- Hotton - smooth mover and good user
- Armstrong - competitor - presents well but drops some marks
- Tauru - great aerialist, intercept defender - can he play forward?
- Reid - classy mover and smart user - does he have the physical attributes?
- Travaglia - high intensity, fast - good user. Competitor.

Reactions: 11 users