2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I’ve been a big proponent of drafting 2 key forwards this draft as our stocks are dangerously thin however are any of them any good?
What’s the consensus on ratings? I’ll go first.
1. Armstrong.
2. JWhitlock.
3. Shannahan.
4. Gerreyn.
5. Fauli.
6. Simms.
7. Cheese sandwich
Are there any in the 2025 draft pool who look likely ?

He must be super fast in game as his 20 metre sprint of 3.186 was rubbish.

Posted before. Trust your eyes from watching games.

Combine results have their place, but sneakers on a basketball court after doing nothing all day doesn't always translate to running, jumping, kicking etc after competing, getting bumped, sprinting etc for 1+ hours in a physical sport.

Reactions: 7 users
I’ve been a big proponent of drafting 2 key forwards this draft as our stocks are dangerously thin however are any of them any good?
What’s the consensus on ratings? I’ll go first.
1. Armstrong.
2. JWhitlock.
3. Shannahan.
4. Gerreyn.
5. Fauli.
6. Simms.
7. Cheese sandwich
Presuming Armstrong is gone by pick 10 I think it would be ok to grab Shanahan & Whitlock, I think Shanahan plays taller than 194cm, I initially thought this was a typo because he plays more like a 197cm forward, maybe he's grown an inch. His game against Essendon had many similarities to Van Rooyen's first year of VFL, a wide array of scoring avenues minus the pack crashing marks. I don't think he's a power forward, but I think there's enough there to eke out 30-40 goals a season. With a pick in the second round I'd bite, I place his ceiling at Mihocek levels, I think we could do with a player of that calibre.

Whitlock is an intriguing prospect, there were flashes of Tim English, albeit 4cm shorter. There's some chance he becomes a ruck which gives him a decent floor. Definitely not the player you can build a forward line around but certainly better than using Ryan & stop gaps like Naismith. He's the type who might have had a role in Terry's Triangle, a player you could rest forward in a Stafford type role. I would pick him with our 3rd or 4th selection so I guess the range will be 10-20.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it possible that Langford's agility will compensate for the leg speed? The sidestep is actually ok, I noticed a few times his agility bought some time and he also can kick off one step - that's a handy weapon to have if you don't have explosiveness.
Once again that’s great when we have the ball but doesn’t help us when the opposition has it. Opposition midfielders run away from us like we’re witches hats as it is, we need to inject some pace in there. No more plodders.

Reactions: 3 users
Lalor is a MID,he went forward because he came back under done,and was damaging .
Now this is the last time lm going to repeat this,but Lalor was mainly a inside mid who needed to improve his outside game,he did that after the champs last year.

Lalor has yet to do a full pre season at u18 level ,if anything very little,,his first 2 year's was because of cricket,23-24 pre season injury effected ,now his first 2 year's he wasn't injury effected which is quite surprising considering how hard he played .

Watching him in his last 2 coates matches prior to the injury match ,he was fine playing midfield ,he was building up fitness and finishing matches well.
Lalor is a elite kick elite mark for his height,elite defensive ,and his handball is very good and can get distance .

HE WONT BE THERE AT 6,,BECAUSE HE WILL BE TAKEN AT 1. :cupgold :cupgold:cupgold
He is not like Rayner or Ainsworth...Robert.

Who needs to go to the press for Lalor info when you have @bengal tigers or did he write this Scouting report :cool:am Lalor

Sam Lalor

Midfielder, Forward

A genuine matchwinner in the engine room or up forward, but a wretched run with injury held him back this season.
Club GWV Rebels/Bacchus Marsh

State VIC

Height 188cm

DOB 30/08/2006

Power

X Factor

Ball Winning

Scoreboard Impact

Lalor’s season has been cruelled by injury, with his pre-season wiped out by a hip issue before minor setbacks to his knee, foot and quad. But he has shown his game-breaking ability as a midfielder-forward from his very first game of the season, where an underdone Lalor booted seven goals for Geelong Grammar at APS level. His first game for the Rebels during the APS break was just as dominant, racking up 34 disposals, nine inside 50, eight marks, seven clearances and 170 SuperCoach points. At the national championships it was his 16 disposals, five marks and three goals that helped Vic Country win a nail-biter against the Allies. Just when he was hitting his straps with the Rebels late in the season, injury struck again during their finals win over the Tasmania Devils. It says something about Lalor that he was desperate to play out the game despite suffering a high-grade hamstring injury. Overall he has been below his best this year due to injury, but clubs are aware that his strength, power, contested ball-winning and overhead marking can turn games. Add the fact that he has never had a full pre-season dedicated to footy due to his cricket talents - representing Vic Country at the state championships and Northcote in Premier Cricket - and there is serious untapped potential waiting to be unleashed.
2024 Coates Talent League 120 ranking points, 23 disposals, 12.8 contested possessions, 6.3 clearances, 3.0 tackles, 6.3 score involvements, 0.3 goals (4 games) 2024 National Champs 81 ranking points, 11 disposals, 4.0 tackles, 4.0 score involvements, 1.3 clearances, 1.3 goals (3 games)

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Hang on. Apparently RFC will look to trade up in this draft. That's hot news.

Speaking of Tom Morris I'm doing form on perceived battlers ATM. I rate Tom Gross a change mid class player. Not a mid but better and a bit different to a flanker. ATM I think say Joe Berry is a slightly different type. More a forward at least early in his career. It's not a pot on Berry.

Gross can change mid or even start mid at Championships and other rep levels and could even do a bit of that at the 2023 Carnival. As a 16yo. He's fully a change mid class player at CTL level and above that. 20+ D and .8 GL a game 2023 and 2024 at CTL.

He is tough. Can win very hard ball in traffic and then get out with it. From inside to outside. He will get goal shots from heavily contested ball. That's forward craft. And he can get a lot of shots. He's good overhead and goes for it.

He can be scrappy. But he hits em by hand in the main and can do at times by foot. Worker. Hard at the ball. Forward craft. My thinking is that he's impulsive and can smooth out a bit over time. And that his record would usually see him somewhere near or in the first round. Contested change mid/forward. No glamour but hard and busy.

Reactions: 5 users

Speaking of Tom Morris I'm doing form on perceived battlers ATM. I rate Tom Gross a change mid class player. Not a mid but better and a bit different to a flanker. ATM I think say Joe Berry is a slightly different type. More a forward at least early in his career. It's not a pot on Berry.

Gross can change mid or even start mid at Championships and other rep levels and could even do a bit of that at the 2023 Carnival. As a 16yo. He's fully a change mid class player at CTL level and above that. 20+ D and .8 GL a game 2023 and 2024 at CTL.

He is tough. Can win very hard ball in traffic and then get out with it. From inside to outside. He will get goal shots from heavily contested ball. That's forward craft. And he can get a lot of shots. He's good overhead and goes for it.

He can be scrappy. But he hits em by hand in the main and can do at times by foot. Worker. Hard at the ball. Forward craft. My thinking is that he's impulsive and can smooth out a bit over time. And that his record would usually see him somewhere near or in the first round. Contested change mid/forward. No glamour but hard and busy.

I like Gross for a pick in the 20s. Has something. Think it was his champs game against SA(?) where he went bananas in the 3rd and turned the game for Vic.

Reactions: 1 user

I thought he was very good in the game I watched at Port Melbourne oval.

Reactions: 1 user
I like the look of this kid will be in that twenty range.
This is a tough one, poor tank & under 200cm makes his path a difficult one, field kicking not great either. A potential Sam Darcy? Perhaps but there's an element of boom/bust here, I think I prefer Whitlock.

Reactions: 1 users