2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Gerreyn sure gets a lot of the ball for a player that has no tank. Just a case of being more mobile than the other dinosaurs?
Being so physically imposing might be the reason, Colts isn't flush with big bodies. His state form was solid but I didn't see a lot to convince me he's a forward in the making, he looks like a ruck first and foremost, pity he isn't 205cm because then you have a big lump of a lad who can go toe to toe with the best rucks in the competition.

Reactions: 1 users
Scully and Trengove (Melbourne), Rowell and Anderson ( Gold Coast) in recent times.
I'm not sure 1&2 is quite the guaranteed recipe for success.

later back to backs appeal to me as they aren't necessarily best mids or bloody half back (w)ankers as we loved to pick in the past!

To be fair Kreuzer and Cotch would have worked well imo lol

not sure Rowell and Anderson support your argument. They have been reasonably good for the Suns. Anderson in particular and Rowell in 2024 as he had an injury free run

But yes it is all a crap shoot. We need some good judgement at each of our selections, even if the quality runs as deep as it is supposed to

Being so physically imposing might be the reason, Colts isn't flush with big bodies. His state form was solid but I didn't see a lot to convince me he's a forward in the making, he looks like a ruck first and foremost, pity he isn't 205cm because then you have a big lump of a lad who can go toe to toe with the best rucks in the competition.
@tigerman thoughts?

If Langford is there at 6 I struggle to see the benefits to be honest. Lalor & Langford + player at pick 10 looks like a winning hand.
Because we are recruiting for the future,and not for next year,although you would hope some of our new recruits have a impact.
It will take a few year's till the new brigade play consistent premiership winning football.

He sits behind all the Coates key forwards for me and also Dotson from SA who I think has flown under the radar.

Because we are recruiting for the future,and not for next year,although you would hope some of our new recruits have a impact.
It will take a few year's till the new brigade play consistent premiership winning football.
Sure, I get that part but we get back to the 2 players versus 1 argument, unless of course we trade down to accommodate a tall who might be deemed a reach at pick 10. I'm open to various permutations but 6 & 10 seems steep, not sure pick 2 will even be better than Langford to be honest.

Reactions: 5 users
Faull has shown some promising glimpses and is trending in the right direction with some excellent late season form, this is a good sign and I noticed a bit of improvement with his contested marking in the Coates final series. He's also capable of a bit of run and carry which I think you need at 194cm. Does he have anymore tricks to unearth? Perhaps, there could be a hint of upside if we're assessing his steady improvement throughout 2024. One to consider if Shanahan & Whitlock get taken early, for team balance I reckon it might be wise to grab one player from the 197+ pool and one player in the 194cm bracket, I'd be happy if we strike gold with one of those selections. The law of averages dictates there will be a few tall busts with this crop, that usually entails buying a few tickets to ensure you get at least one core contributor.
Faull is a good player,when you get tagged teamed most matches it makes it hard,but his ground work is good and get's involved in general play ,Armstrong doesn't .
Faull also had a interrupted preseason and start to the year with a back injury ,he has done really well.
Jack whitlock and Jonty as the 2 key forwards for me.

Reactions: 11 users
Sure, I get that part but we get back to the 2 players versus 1 argument, unless of course we trade down to accommodate a tall who might be deemed a reach at pick 10. I'm open to various permutations but 6 & 10 seems steep, not sure pick 2 will even be better than Langford to be honest.
The other thing we have to take into account is what Blair has planned for the future ,in terms of trades/free agents ,he may have a forward planned or a mid .

Reactions: 4 users
Like a lot of years and as someone who dosent follow the juniors until we have a haul like this 😁 I’ve noticed quite a few names , articles on “ bolters” that I haven’t heard mentioned , even though there’s no footy been played , I think they’ll be some more “ Viking” moves and the top 20 could be quite a lot different to what the general public thought a month ago .

Today I want to keep all our picks , tomorrow is another day

29 days to go

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Back to The Viking and reading posts today.

Reckon most don't have him pegged correctly style wise.

These are the names thrown up as comparisons on here recently.

Archer (12-13 cms)
Sicily (6-7cms)

It's good that he's getting that - assume from his marking ability. But the Soaring Swede is physically superior to those guys - by a mile. He's 12+ cms taller than Archer and 6cm than Sicily.

He's an untapped 194cm (some say 195cm) athletic freak who is already probably the best mark of his year.

See there are lists ranking Key Forwards and he isn't even mentioned? He's played plenty there at club football and is the same height as Armstrong and others. He will be played there at AFL level so 100% deserves to be ranked alongside them when talking that position.

Reckon he's a bit like Mac Andrew. You don't get many opportunities to draft key talls with these traits. They are team changers.

Yet like Mac, many seem too scared to want to take the plunge early on i.e. pick 6.

Reactions: 11 users
Go for your man Lazy Ways!! Your the first bloke to chuck up bush league senior footy clips as a case for drafting a bloke in the top 7!

Bold strategy Cotton.

I'm ok at 10 but at 6 I want a mid. Two mids first two.

Hope Norht reach for him at 2 and we get gold.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Archer (12-13 cms)
Sicily (6-7cms)

It's good that he's getting that - assume from his marking ability. But the Soaring Swede is physically superior to those guys - by a mile. He's 12+ cms taller than Archer and 6cm than Sicily.

He's an untapped 194cm (some say 195cm) athletic freak who is already probably the best mark of his year.

See there are lists ranking Key Forwards and he isn't even mentioned? He's played plenty there at club football and is the same height as Armstrong and others. He will be played there at AFL level so 100% deserves to be ranked alongside them when talking that position.

Reckon he's a bit like Mac Andrew. You don't get many opportunities to draft key talls with these traits. They are team changers.

Yet like Mac, many seem too scared to want to take the plunge early on i.e. pick 6.
I would take a punt on him at pick 6,just for his versatility ,he can be effective forward or back .

Reactions: 5 users

Archer (12-13 cms)
Sicily (6-7cms)

Sorry mate but I’m with ya on this bloke , has a bit of athleticism on the other highly rated big fellas , that hang and cluck is special , obviously playing juniors at the back half makes it look a bit better however his judgment of getting the ball at its highest point has forward written all over him .

Would you pull trigger at 6 ?

Any mids you would take before the Minnesota?

Go for your man Lazy Ways!! Your the first bloke to chuck up bush league senior footy clips as a case for drafting a bloke in the top 7!

Bold strategy Cotton.

I'm ok at 10 but at 6 I want a mid. Two mids first two.

Hope Norht reach for him at 2 and we get gold.
98% I believe is the correct percentage Scoop , on where the best footballers come from , bush league seniors , vic country particular 😎

• Love
Dodson 100% under the radar Gloop.
Yeah it's a lazy comp but there's some Luke Jackson parallels. My only thing is that he is more ruck than forward.

I like him and Sims, I'd be happy with one of them. I have a bee's appendage between Sims, Dodson and the Whitlocks as my favourite key forwards.

Reactions: 1 user