2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

There's a bit of Glen Archer about Tauru, looks competitive in the air, I could see him playing some type of forward role, being a defender also gives him a decent floor in the event he struggles to kick goals. Pick 6 is probably where you have to take him, instead of a midfielder, risky to a degree.
I see more Sicily in him. Key defender who can go forward when the coach needs to throw the magnets around.

But no way at pick 6.

Reactions: 1 user
So Armstrong before Tauru if both available?
Don’t think Tauru would be available at pick 10 so need to take him before a key forward or a gun midfielder at 2 or 6 so yes I would pass on him.
If by some chance available at 10 or 11, then yes I would take him along with Armstrong

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but that’s why we will take Lalor with 1 and fingers crossed Langford at 6. Guys who hit the scoreboard are gold.

And that’s why I agree with regarding Armstrong. Nothing screams to me as a match winner. If we are taking a tall at the pointy end of the draft I want a Riewoldt or Lynch. Is the Viking that? Don’t know that either? If he falls to 14 then maybe that’s the right spot. But not before we lock our midfield down for the next 10 years with our first 3-4 picks.
Langford at 6 seems pretty solid, I think in that instance you can take a gamble with Lalor, that combination works and no need to trade for pick 2.

Reactions: 5 users
Don’t think Tauru would be available at pick 10 so need to take him before a key forward or a gun midfielder at 2 or 6 so yes I would pass on him.
If by some chance available at 10 or 11, then yes I would take him along with Armstrong

Unfortunately, don't expect The Viking to be there at 6. Let alone 10.

Taylor loves big competitors that are physical and great athletes.

Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately, don't expect The Viking to be there at 6. Let alone 10.

Taylor loves big competitors that are physical and great athletes.
Dees midfield is razor thin, he will go mid at 6. Reckon Draper and Murphy Reid.

Reactions: 1 users
Dees midfield is razor thin, he will go mid at 6. Reckon Draper and Murphy Reid.

Yeah if Draper is there, they'll probably go him. Unlikely though you'd think.

Taylor loves his power athletes early. Reid doesn't project to his style ILO.

There’s a general consensus by most “experts” that there’s a fairly clear top 4.
FOS, Lalor, Smith, Draper.
Draper won’t get past Adelaide if not taken earlier.
Some reaching for Langford in the top 4 but can’t see it myself.

Reactions: 4 users
No one rates Smillie Big Willie on here.
Where does he go? Does he shock everyone and go early to Carlton?
They’d be doing everyone a favour if they did

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah if Draper is there, they'll probably go him. Unlikely though you'd think.

Taylor loves his power athletes early. Reid doesn't project to his style ILO.
Reid to me strikes as 2 meldourne players - Salem and Rivers.
Calm smooth movers with good skills and high footy iq. Play outsideish, not reliant on athletic traits.

I'm not into Reid at all, not with any of our 8 picks. But he is a Dees type, and both play good footy. Just not midfield

There’s a general consensus by most “experts” that there’s a fairly clear top 4.
FOS, Lalor, Smith, Draper.
Draper won’t get past Adelaide if not taken earlier.
Some reaching for Langford in the top 4 but can’t see it myself.
Agree with this. Langford has a terrific boot but his speed kocks him off the perch.
I'd be happy at 6 and trying to think if he could slide to 11

Still could be the next Cripps. Slid to 13 after we picked Lennon at 12. I rate him and would take him before Jagger. Smilie also has strong leadership qualities and that's a massive upside as we need young leaders.

Last edited:
Im not comfortable with anything more than #6 + #18 for pick #2

There is no standout pick #1 in this draft and sure as hell no stand out pick #2 to give up pick #6 and another pick like #10 or #11
North wont trade #2 unless its #6 or better as their target would be to get ahead of StKilda and Melbourn with #9

I dont se a Reid , JHF , Sheezel , Kelly , Dusty in the top #6 players in this drafy and any 1 of
Lalor , Smith , FOS , DRaper , Langford , Smillie , Tauru , Armstrong could be the best player in the draft

Its #6 + #18 or dont trade for me

Reactions: 6 users
There's a bit of Glen Archer about Tauru, looks competitive in the air, I could see him playing some type of forward role, being a defender also gives him a decent floor in the event he struggles to kick goals. Pick 6 is probably where you have to take him, instead of a midfielder, risky to a degree.
Tauru is also a November baby so still yet to turn 18 and is now 195cm tall and could grow another 2-3 cm
5 moths younger than armstrong. Might not seem much but just looks like he has so much more growth in him both physically and game

I do, and I have for months

Reckon there is every chance we look back in 5 years time and he is the best player of this draft pool

Players of his size and skill as mids are very rare , unicorn at 195.5cm

I think teams are going to reach for what is an 'OK' batch of tall forwards this year. We are going to take one if we have 8 picks. If say Tauru and Armstrong are off the board by our pick 10, do we 'reach ' and take Jack Whitlock with pick 11? I'm not certain he will still be there at 18...but that feels like the spot for him.