2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Lalor interview from yesterday, filth supporter unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
And miss out on the opportunity to fully punish the reigning Premier through points requirements? No way.
Don’t get soft on us here Spook.
Also takes a lot of pressure off the player chosen by us at pick 2.
I’m all chips in for Ashcroft at pick 1. Unless a handshake has been done on the pick 20 deal but we’ll probably never know.
Handshake deal been done for sure. Tigers won't bid imo.

Twomey's October form guide, not his intel driven draft order.

His ratings matched with corresponding draft picks (clearly club's needs aren't factored in):

1. Ashcroft - Brisbane
2. O'Sullivan - Richmond
3. Langford - North Melbourne
4. Lalor - Carlton
5. Smith - Adelaide
6. Reid - Melbourne
7. Draper - Richmond
8. Smillie - St Kilda
9. Tauru - St Kilda
10. Armstrong - Melbourne
11. Travaglia - Richmond
12. Allan - Richmond
13. Lombard - Gold Coast
14. Kako - Essendon
15. Hotton - West Coast
16. Lindsay - Port Adelaide
17. Trainor - Fremantle
18. Berry - GWS
19. J.Whitlock - GWS
20. Shanahan - Western Bulldogs
21. Hynes - Richmond
22. Marshall - Brisbane
23. M.Whitlock - Sydney
24. Dattoli - Richmond
25. Faull - GWS
26. Oliver - Sydney
27. Gross - Richmond
28. Hannaford - Richmond
29. Dodson - Western Bulldogs
30. Moraes - West Coast

Richmond: O'Sullivan (2), Draper (7), Travaglia (11), Allan (12), Hynes (21), Dattoli (24), Gross (27), Hannaford (28)

Reactions: 1 users
Bully you a not worried about Langford lack of pace ?. We need midfielders who can break the lines.
We also need skilled midfielders who can go forward and have aerial presence. Hopper and Taranto hack alot of ball. The beauty of this draft is we can get both.

Handshake deal been done for sure. Tigers won't bid imo.
A thought for people thinking we've done handshake deals, it may have happened, but I don't think so. There's no way of knowing for sure. One thing we do know, Blair stated very clearly in his press conference that if they think a player is the best player at the pick, they will bid, he stated 'thats how the system is supposed to work'. Can't get any clearer.

Reactions: 4 users
A thought for people thinking we've done handshake deals, it may have happened, but I don't think so. There's no way of knowing for sure. One thing we do know, Blair stated very clearly in his press conference that if they think a player is the best player at the pick, they will bid, he stated 'thats how the system is supposed to work'. Can't get any clearer.
Reading some of the posts in here, we've got a handshake deal going on with every club we dealt with over the trade period. Rock up first morning of trade week, Gday Smelb, handshake deal. GDay Crowbaits, handshake deal. GDay Mould Coast, handshake deal.

• Haha
His ratings matched with corresponding draft picks (clearly club's needs aren't factored in):

1. Ashcroft - Brisbane
2. O'Sullivan - Richmond
3. Langford - North Melbourne
4. Lalor - Carlton
5. Smith - Adelaide
6. Reid - Melbourne
7. Draper - Richmond
8. Smillie - St Kilda
9. Tauru - St Kilda
10. Armstrong - Melbourne
11. Travaglia - Richmond
12. Allan - Richmond
13. Lombard - Gold Coast
14. Kako - Essendon
15. Hotton - West Coast
16. Lindsay - Port Adelaide
17. Trainor - Fremantle
18. Berry - GWS
19. J.Whitlock - GWS
20. Shanahan - Western Bulldogs
21. Hynes - Richmond
22. Marshall - Brisbane
23. M.Whitlock - Sydney
24. Dattoli - Richmond
25. Faull - GWS
26. Oliver - Sydney
27. Gross - Richmond
28. Hannaford - Richmond
29. Dodson - Western Bulldogs
30. Moraes - West Coast

Richmond: O'Sullivan (2), Draper (7), Travaglia (11), Allan (12), Hynes (21), Dattoli (24), Gross (27), Hannaford (28)
No way we don’t draft a key forward. Or two.
Although going on past history, we probably won’t :rolleyes:

• Haha
So if Blair doesn't think Ashcroft is #1? Many don't. A handshake deal may conveniently change opinions on who nbr '1' is. I am pretty sure discussions of swap between Brisbane and Tigers would have broached the subject and final swap makeup as that is super important to Brisbane. Unless Tigers gave extra picks to appease Brisbane to counteract a bid. But why, do that, it benefits neither club? Lastly, I learnt a long time ago, don't believe everything the club says, they often say what supporters want to hear and don't discuss what they don't want to hear, especially when it comes to keeping things close to your chest, as you should do for the draft.

You’re correct that we would never really know, however anyone who has been in business and negotiated deals would understand that compromises and creativity are key elements to get things over the line.
If Blair had to agree not to take Allen before West Coast to get the Baker deal over the line, do you not think he’d do it?
Think you’d be very naive to believe it doesn’t happen

Are we buying the very steady scuttlebutt that we're into Smillie? It's been around for a couple of weeks. Probably something in it.

Reactions: 2 users
So Smillie did a 6:38 2km at the Combine, only 10-15 seconds behind the likes of FOS, Jagga and Langford. 3.09 for 20 makes him slower than FOS and Jagga (we knew that) but easily quicker than Langford (we probably knew that too). Top-10 in the standing vertical - good indicator of power.

Reactions: 2 users