2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

C'mon Leysy player comparisons are thrown around all the time plays like Cripps, Dusty, Heeney etc in no way does that mean that they are going to be that player just some sort of reference.
I think we need a mobile forward not just a doofas in the goal square and quite like Armstrong, you lost me when you mentioned Clever who operated on railway tracks.

Yeah totally get that plays like thing doesn't = that they will get to that level.

Just don't think there is anyone that even plays like Cameron. So don't like the chances of Armstong being able to do so.

And yeah was just stirring up mischief mentioning The Steamer. Armstrong does have more agility.

Is it possible that Langford's agility will compensate for the leg speed? The sidestep is actually ok, I noticed a few times his agility bought some time and he also can kick off one step - that's a handy weapon to have if you don't have explosiveness.

Reactions: 7 users
What seems pretty clear is that this is a going to be a great draft and there is a great equality and a lot of unknowns with a Dusty, Royce or a KB, likely to be there for us if Blair and Frank can get it right.
Saying that it's "likely" that one of the draft picks is as good as our best ever players, seems a very big call

Reactions: 1 user
Was that the game I saw when Simms played mostly ruck and did his ankle at the start of the 3rd qtr. I weren't impressed either but i can't make an assessment on 2 qtrs of footy where he played ruck but is a forward.
Yes that was the game. Agree hard to assess on that game. Hopefully his attack on the ball in the air is much better than this match.

All fair points but Armstrong has kicked bags of goals at all junior levels whereas you’re projecting a higher ceiling from Tauru who has primarily been played as a backman.
That’s a far greater risk imo.

With Armstrong. Yeah he kicked 27 goals from 10 games for Sandy.

One thing overlooked a bit. Is he was playing full forward in the most dominant midfield/team in the league.

Check out 2 of his finals games here where he kicked 4 in each (they didn't do highlights in the other one cos he didn't touch it).

Great he kicked 4 - But honestly how many would he have kicked (and what influence would he have had) if playing for the opposition?

Think there might be one overhead mark in them. In fact he's beaten pretty pointlessly when in an overhead contest most times. Goes to ground, slow to recover etc. Watching him in full games backs that up.

All lead-ups, largely against a defence trying to withstand a tidal wave of ball coming in. Not many of those goals are his own doing, outside timing his lead and kicking straight. Just reckon the luxury he gets playing like he does now might struggle at AFL level.

Compare him to the Viking. Who is better overhead, gets waaayyyyyy more air, heaps better second efforts, greater ground game and tackles better and is dual sided.

And your right, he doesn't have the runs on the board as a forward like Armstrong. But that's cos he didn't have the opportunity to after missing most of the previous 18 months of footy.

Have a look at these highlights (yes they are highlights). His aerial game is top notch. If anyone can show me Armstrong consistently doing any of that will be amazed.

There's also a sneaky good clip of him making his senior debut for Warragul last year.

You mentioned Tauru being the bigger risk. But to Leysy the bigger risk is taking a neat, limited lead-up footballer early in the draft Vs The Viking who's traits and capabilities (he plays most in style like Charlie Curnow ILO - he'll stand on your head and if doesn't mark it he'll still be first up and beat you to the ground ball) means his ceiling is not close to known yet.

Drafting match winners and champions is the first step to Premierships ILO. And FJ knows how to draft them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users

One thing overlooked a bit. Is he was playing full forward in the most dominant midfield/team in the league.

Check out 2 of his finals games here where he kicked 4 in each (they didn't do highlights in the other one cos he didn't touch it).

Great he kicked 4 - But honestly how many would he have kicked (and what influence would he have had) if playing for the opposition?

Think there might be one overhead mark in them. In fact he's beaten pretty pointlessly when in an overhead contest most times. Goes to ground, slow to recover etc. Watching him in full games backs that up.

All lead-ups, largely against a defence trying to withstand a tidal wave of ball coming in. Not many of those goals are his own doing, outside timing his lead and kicking straight. Just reckon the luxury he gets playing like he does now might struggle at AFL level.

Compare him to the Viking. Who is better overhead, gets waaayyyyyy more air, heaps better second efforts, greater ground game and tackles better and is dual sided.

And your right, he doesn't have the runs on the board as a forward like Armstrong. But that's cos he didn't have the opportunity to after missing most of the previous 18 months of footy.

Have a look at these highlights (yes they are highlights). His aerial game is top notch. If anyone can show me Armstrong consistently doing any of that will be amazed.

There's also a sneaky good clip of him making his senior debut for Warragul last year.

You mentioned Tauru being the bigger risk. But to Leysy the bigger risk is taking a neat, limited lead-up footballer early in the draft Vs The Viking who's traits and capabilities (he plays most in style like Charlie Curnow ILO - he'll stand on your head and if doesn't mark it he'll still be first up and beat you to the ground ball) means his ceiling is not close to known yet.
On appearance Tauru looks one of the best underage marking players ever

It’s a big concern that there are very few gun key defenders in this draft. It really worries me when thinking about taking tall forwards early.

Reactions: 2 users

You neglected to mention the bag he kicked against Vic Country against some of the best opponents going around.
That’s a winning trait I’m happy to bank.
You obviously completely disagree with Lloyd that Armstrong is a great contested mark. Sounds like you’re almost claiming he can’t take one at all? That’s a strong opinion but not sure it’s based on fact.
I’m certainly not down ramping Tauru but you’re crystal balling him when projecting him as a dominant forward.
There’s a skill playing forward that relies on instinct as much as technical ability. Not all defenders can make the successful transition.
I’d like both players actually

You neglected to mention the bag he kicked against Vic Country against some of the best opponents going around.
That’s a winning trait I’m happy to bank.
I’m certainly not down ramping Tauru but you’re crystal balling him when projecting him as a dominant forward.
There’s a skill playing forward that relies on instinct as much as technical ability. Not all defenders can make the successful transition.
I’d like both players actually

Yeah that was his best game of the year. But it was a 9 disposal game and one of his goals was a reverse free in the goal square.

And yeah, of course we're crystal balling him? Aren't we doing that with every player.

Even moreso key forwards.

Anyway your Blair, who are you taking first and who are you leaving for another club to take?

Yeah that was his best game of the year. But it was a 9 disposal game and one of his goals was a reverse free in the goal square.

And yeah, of course we're crystal balling him? Aren't we doing that with every player.

Even moreso key forwards.

Anyway your Blair, who are you taking first and who are you leaving for another club to take?
There’s risk with every player but my reference of crystal balling was directed towards playing Taurus in a different position.
We wouldn’t rate Berry as a potential star midfielder when he’s primarily played small forward. But he could be!

Tough assignment on selection.
On probability of being available, I’m hoping to take.
1. Lalor.
2. Smith.
10. Armstrong.
11. Berry.
18. JWhitlock.
23. Jack Ough.
24. Datoli

If we keep pick 6, I’m going.
1. Lalor.
6. Langford.
10. Armstrong.
11. Berry.
18. Hotton
20. JWhitlock.
23. Jack Ough.
24. Datoli

Last edited:
There’s risk with every player but my reference of crystal balling was directed towards playing Taurus in a different position.

Tough assignment.
On probability of being available, I’m hoping to take.
1. Lalor.
2. Smith.
10. Armstrong.
11. Berry.
18. JWhitlock.
23. Jack Ough.
24. Datoli

So Armstrong before Tauru if both available?

Drafting match winners and champions is the first step to Premierships ILO. And FJ knows how to draft them.
Slightly off topic but that’s why we will take Lalor with 1 and fingers crossed Langford at 6. Guys who hit the scoreboard are gold.

And that’s why I agree with regarding Armstrong. Nothing screams to me as a match winner. If we are taking a tall at the pointy end of the draft I want a Riewoldt or Lynch. Is the Viking that? Don’t know that either? If he falls to 14 then maybe that’s the right spot. But not before we lock our midfield down for the next 10 years with our first 3-4 picks.

Reactions: 3 users

There's a bit of Glen Archer about Tauru, looks competitive in the air, I could see him playing some type of forward role, being a defender also gives him a decent floor in the event he struggles to kick goals. Pick 6 is probably where you have to take him, instead of a midfielder, risky to a degree.